Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:23 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:03 pm 

Has anyone got Papywizard to work on Windows 8 (32-bit) using a 'generic' Bluetooth USB module and the Deltawave Papymerlin BT adapter on the Merlin?

It seems to 'see' the Papymerlin either as a Bluetooth connection or as a Serial connection, but it won't connect in either mode.

Merlin/Orion robotic pano head + Papywizard on Nokia 770/N800/N810 and Windows 8/XP/2K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:37 pm 

The easiest way is probably to do the Bluetooth pairing in windows with the Papymerlin module, and then setup Papywizard in Serial mode and indicates serial port created by Windows when you did the pairing :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:05 pm 

vincen wrote:
The easiest way is probably to do the Bluetooth pairing in windows with the Papymerlin module, and then setup Papywizard in Serial mode and indicates serial port created by Windows when you did the pairing :)

Thanks for the advice.

Does that mean you have got Papywizard to work with Windows 8?

I tried that too but it wouldn't work - it fails when it's attempting to connect at the point you might expect it to prompt for a passkey.

I'm not that familiar with Windows 8 and I am finding it diificult to take/transfer my knowlege of Windows XP to 8 - everything seems very much more tiresome and difficulty and clumsy and 'hidden' in 8.

Merlin/Orion robotic pano head + Papywizard on Nokia 770/N800/N810 and Windows 8/XP/2K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:24 pm 

mediavets wrote:

I didn't hear till now any successful results on Windows 8 but neither negative so you might have a chance ;)

mediavets wrote:
I tried that too but it wouldn't work - it fails when it's attempting to connect at the point you might expect it to prompt for a passkey.

it should be able to pair with the module as it's just a regular bluetooth device so Windows should pair with it without issue. You have to resolve first that issue ! Just side question: you are using native windows right ? not on a Mac in Parallels/VMWare/Virtualbox ?

mediavets wrote:
I'm not that familiar with Windows 8 and I am finding it diificult to take/transfer my knowlege of Windows XP to 8 - everything seems very much more tiresome and difficulty and clumsy and 'hidden' in 8.

Fully agree, I try to keep my virtual Windows machine on Windows XP as long as I can (I use it just few times a year for few specific softwares !)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:46 pm 

vincen wrote:
mediavets wrote:

I didn't hear till now any successful results on Windows 8 but neither negative so you might have a chance ;)

Well I finally got Papywizard to work on Windows 8 32-bit OS via a wireless Bluetooth connection using a 'generic' USB Bluetooth device and the Deltawave Papymerlin BT-TTL adapter on the Merlin (Panogear equiv. ) mount.

The problem/challenge was to pair with the Papymerlin....in the end I did it via the Control Panel/Devices and printers. I couldn't seem to do it via Bluetooth settings.

It's currently working as a straight Bluetooth connection set up via the Papywizard driver Chooser., ie. not a virtual serial port connection.

Update:

I also have it working via Bluetooth virtual serial port.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:58 pm 

mediavets wrote:
The problem/challenge was to pair with the Papymerlin....in the end I did it via the Control Panel/Devices and printers. I couldn't seem to do it via Bluetooth settings.
It's currently working as a straight Bluetooth connection set up via the Papywizard driver Chooser., ie. not a virtual serial port connection.

Cool you succeeded and so Pw works in Windows 8, good new :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:42 am 

Could you give any further details about parining under Windows8? I'm trying to do the same thing, but it drives me mad... :-) I must say that I'm not very common with Windows8, but I'm trying since 2 weeks to make this thing work... without any success.
Thomas, Thomas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:51 pm 

tcgass wrote:
Could you give any further details about pairing under Windows 8? I'm trying to do the same thing, but it drives me mad... :-) I must say that I'm not very common with Windows8, but I'm trying since 2 weeks to make this thing work... without any success.
Thomas, Thomas

Windows 8 is a challenge (for me anyway).

Power up your Panogear mount with the Bluetooth adapter connected - red LED light flashing if you have the Deltawave Papymerlin adapter.

In Windows 8 get to PC Settings - screenshot 1 and Choose Add Device.

It should find the Papymerlin adapter - screenhot 2.

When it does select it and you will be prompted for a passkey - enter 1234 - screenshot 3.

That should complete the pairing - although there may be no indication of success (Windows 8 is very weird).

Now go to Papywizard and set plugins to Merlin-Orion and Bluetooth - screenshot 4.

Go to the Drivers tab and click on Chooser. - screenshot 5.

It should find the Papymerlin - choose it - screenshot 6.

You only have to go through these steps once.

Now you can got to Hardware/Connect and establish the connection between your Netbook and the Merlin/Panogear mount, status line at bottom left should indicate when connection is estblished (it's not instant) and then check using the arrow buttons.

Let me know if you succeed, or not.

If you have an Android device with Bluetooth then you could also try PandroidWiz:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fvh.panoramic.pandroidwiz&hl=en

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:28 pm 

Hi mediavets,

thank you so much for all your input - that's simply great! However, it turned out that Windows 8 really is a nightmare - I didn't succeed in pairing via bluetooth, had constant crashes of Papywizard and much more...

I finally decided to format my old MacBook and installed OS Lion on it, downloaded the appropriate papywizard software and... here we go: everything works like a charm.

Still fighting with some alignment problems (let's say mount of my Canon EOS600D with a 300mm lens) to make sure, PanoGear is controlling pitch accordingly, but hey, I was OUT SHOOTING TODAY! After 2 weeks of getting mad with Windows8 a great pleasure! :-)

All the best
Thomas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:39 pm 

tcgass wrote:
Hi mediavets,

thank you so much for all your input - that's simply great! However, it turned out that Windows 8 really is a nightmare - I didn't succeed in pairing via bluetooth, had constant crashes of Papywizard and much more...

Sorry to hear that - once I mastered paring it works fine for me on Windows 8 32-bit.

You should always use the latest devlopment version fo Papywuzard (rather than the so called stable versions).

And Papywizard needs a standard Windows Bluetooth stack - it doesn't like some third-party Bluetooth stacks (such as Toshiba amongst others).

Quote:
I finally decided to format my old MacBook and installed OS Lion on it, downloaded the appropriate papywizard software and... here we go: everything works like a charm.

Great news. Some people have trouble configuring Papywizard (PW) on Macs.

Quote:
Still fighting with some alignment problems (let's say mount of my Canon EOS600D with a 300mm lens) to make sure, PanoGear is controlling pitch accordingly, but hey, I was OUT SHOOTING TODAY! After 2 weeks of getting mad with Windows8 a great pleasure! :-)

All the best
Thomas

If you are using a 300mm lens I guess you may be shooting relatively distant landscape type scenes with nothing too close to the camera?

If so, then it's more important to mount the camera/lens close to the centre of mass that to attempt to mount it at the NPP as parallax will not be an issue.