Autopano vs DxO ViewPoint  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
Pipetman

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Autopano vs DxO ViewPoint

by Pipetman » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:58 pm

Just stumbled upon DxO ViewPoint on another forum (http://www.dxo.com/intl/photography/dxo-viewpoint), which seems to be tailored towards lens and perspective corrections. Made me wonder, how AP compares to DxO in this regard? Have never tried this, but could you perform the corrections that DxO does also in AP (on a single image, not a pano)?
Thanks,
- j.

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:28 pm

Pipetman wrote:Just stumbled upon DxO ViewPoint on another forum (http://www.dxo.com/intl/photography/dxo-viewpoint), which seems to be tailored towards lens and perspective corrections. Made me wonder, how AP compares to DxO in this regard? Have never tried this, but could you perform the corrections that DxO does also in AP (on a single image, not a pano)?
Thanks,
- j.

I don't think so.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
Artisan New

Info

by Artisan New » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:29 pm

No,you should not.....so that means maybe you could (AFAIK) but why would you. If you were to shoot the Arc de Triomph using APP you would use 10 x 7 foto's (or something like that, the sky is the limit).....then you could put the lines straight. Keystoning is putting the lines straight in a single image using a completely different algoritm (in fact you can sort of keystone in Gimp if you wanted using it's perspective correction tool). But real keystoning depends on the lensparameters and the angle of vision. It calculates the lines and uses the known perspective distortions of the lens to find the upward tilt of the lens and then correct the lensdistortions accordingly.

Now Klaus Esser will have a different opinion to this I'm sure.

Greets, Ed.
Olympus OM-D with HLD-6, Fuji GX680, Samyang 7.5, Olympus 9-18, Sigma 19, Panasonic 14-45, Nikon 50 1.4 on Novoflex with tripod mount, Nikon 80-200, Panasonic 45-200, Fujinon 135, Fujinon 80, Fujinon 65, Fujinon 50, Gitzo Gilux Reporter 2, Sirui Ballhead and Panosaurus 2.0 NNP adapter, Motorized Panohead of Canadian (ironware)/Dutch (electronics and software) construction.

no avatar
Pipetman

Topic author
Info

by Pipetman » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:05 pm

Thanks, very informative.
Upon further reading on the DxO website, I found out out that they don't support the X-Trans sensor in my Fujis, though.
- j.

no avatar
Artisan New

Info

by Artisan New » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:01 am

X-Trans sensors are a bit of pest to support....even ACR has it's problems with them (acording to the grapevine)....best to use the RAW converter supplied and rework to tiff 16 bit and then you can do your keystoning anywere you like....as this page shows....see last part about the integration into lightroom.

http://www.dxo.com/intl/photography/tutorials/creating-successful-architectural-photos-dxo-viewpoint

http://www.dxo.com/intl/photography/tutorials/dxo-viewpoint-plugin

I guess this means that you can convert using ACR and then use the plugin in Lightroom.

Greets, Ed.
Last edited by Artisan New on Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Olympus OM-D with HLD-6, Fuji GX680, Samyang 7.5, Olympus 9-18, Sigma 19, Panasonic 14-45, Nikon 50 1.4 on Novoflex with tripod mount, Nikon 80-200, Panasonic 45-200, Fujinon 135, Fujinon 80, Fujinon 65, Fujinon 50, Gitzo Gilux Reporter 2, Sirui Ballhead and Panosaurus 2.0 NNP adapter, Motorized Panohead of Canadian (ironware)/Dutch (electronics and software) construction.