Panogear new Hand Control - confusion!  

English support for Panogear kit
no avatar
marvinberry

Panogear new Hand Control - confusion!

by marvinberry » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:50 am

Hello all,

I have been sent the new Panogear Hand Control which supercedes the old touch screen hand control used for bluetooth/Papywizard. The new Hand Control has no screen at all.

Does anyone have experience of using this Hand Control?

I believe you can only set 6 points of interest. However, I cannot get the Panogear to take more than one shot. I would like to do a 360. How do I program the Panogear to do this? I am pressing 'SET' and then 'a' to prgram the first point of interest. After that I CANNOT move the head at all using the arrow keys on the new Hand Control. It is frozen! So how do I program the next 5 points of interest? If I use the joystick on the wi-fi module (also new technology supplied - you can see it in the background of the attached photo) I CAN move the Pangogear head but cannot set position 2 on the Hand Control. Also, if I press 'SET' and 'GO' at the same time the head should return to the start and begin. But it doesn't move at all!

I am finding the instruction manual to be no good. It brushes over the essnetials and I am getting nowhere!!!

Can anyone help please???

James

Last edited by marvinberry on Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:48 am

marvinberry wrote:Hello all,

I have been sent the new Panogear Hand Control which supercedes the old touch screen hand control used for bluetooth/Papywizard. The new Hand Control has no screen at all.

Does anyone have experience of using this Hand Control?

I believe you can only set 6 points of interest. However, I cannot get the Panogear to take more than one shot. I would like to do a 360. How do I program the Panogear to do this? I am pressing 'SET' and then 'a' to prgram the first point of interest. After that I CANNOT move the head at all using the arrow keys on the new Hand Control. It is frozen! So how do I program the next 5 points of interest? If I use the joystick on the wi-fi module (also new technology supplied - you can see it in the background of the attached photo) I CAN move the Pangogear head but cannot set position 2 on the Hand Control. Also, if I press 'SET' and 'GO' at the same time the head should return to the start and begin. But it doesn't move at all!

I am finding the instruction manual to be no good. It brushes over the essnetials and I am getting nowhere!!!

Can anyone help please???

James

Hi James!

"supercedes the old touchscreen"??? Do you mean the grey T&C handheld? What was wrong with it?

The controller you show in your image just is one to move the Merlin for astro use - it´s NOT for shooting panoramas.
You "have been sent" it by whom? For which purpose?

best, Klaus
Last edited by klausesser on Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
marvinberry

by marvinberry » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:03 pm

Hi Klaus,

Thanks for your response. I bought the hardware directly form Kolor. I wanted the touch screen controller (pic attached to show you what I'm referring to) but was told it had been replaced by the new wi-fi module. This is a dongle which plugs into the AUX port on the back of the Panogear and then must be operated from the PANOSHOOT URL.

To be honest I am having huge problems operting the Pangear via the wi-fi method as well. But in the box, I received the Hand Control (pic attached to original message) with very basic instructions on how to operate it for 'astronomical' and 'terrestrial' use.

Because I am having issues with both the wi-fi dongle and the Hand Control I simply can't do anything! The majority of the documentation supplied covered Bluetooth and Papywizard which I sadly don't have! Has anyone operated the Pangear manually for a 360 using the Hand Control? Or has anyone used the wi-fi method successfully?? I could really use help from anyone and everyone, as I am getting little response from Kolor Support to date!!!

Thank you!!!

James

no avatar
Markus W.

by Markus W. » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:45 pm

Try to update the Panoshoot Firmware to the newest Rev. 99.

Which Version has your Panoshoot at the Moment?

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:53 pm

marvinberry wrote:Hi Klaus,

Thanks for your response. I bought the hardware directly form Kolor. I wanted the touch screen controller (pic attached to show you what I'm referring to) but was told it had been replaced by the new wi-fi module. This is a dongle which plugs into the AUX port on the back of the Panogear and then must be operated from the PANOSHOOT URL.

The T&C Touch controller is still available from T&C and SkiVR as far as I know; it's just that Kolor has decided no longer to sell it (for some unknown reason) and has chosen to sell Panoshoot instead (and good luck with that!)

T&C:

http://www.typeandcolour.de/index.php?ln=en&tp=hhc_home

SkiVR new online shop to open early next week:

http://www.skivr.com/?p=1961&lang=en

You can also still use Papywizard on a suitable host platform - Windows, Nokia N800/N810 Internet tablet, Linux.

Download Papywizard from here - choose the latest development version for your platform:
http://www.papywizard.org/

More information here:
http://www.autopano.net/wiki-en/action/view/PapyMerlin_FAQ

To be honest I am having huge problems operting the Panogear via the wi-fi method as well. But in the box, I received the Hand Control (pic attached to original message) with very basic instructions on how to operate it for 'astronomical' and 'terrestrial' use.
James

You cannot shoot panoramas with that hand controller.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
marvinberry

by marvinberry » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:56 pm

Hi Marcus,

Thanks for your resonse.

I'm very sorry but I don't understand what you mean. Can you kindly explain and guide me in simple steps as to how I can find this out?

Thank you very much,

James

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:06 pm

marvinberry wrote:Hi Marcus,

Thanks for your resonse.

I'm very sorry but I don't understand what you mean. Can you kindly explain and guide me in simple steps as to how I can find this out?

Thank you very much,

James

You may find the information you seek here?:

http://www.panoshoot.com/index.php/tutorials

For the record where are you based? It sometimes determines the advice we might offer.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:08 pm

Markus W. wrote:Try to update the Panoshoot Firmware to the newest Rev. 99.

Which Version has your Panoshoot at the Moment?

And where would one get Rev 99?

The latest version offered for download in the Panoshoot web site appears to be Rev. 98:

http://www.panoshoot.com/index.php/download
Andrew Stephens

no avatar
marvinberry

by marvinberry » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:09 pm

Thank you MediaVets but I have watched these videos dozens of times. They are not helping me with the Hand Control or guiding me through shooting a 360 or panormama in enough detail using the wi-fi module. I appreciate your response though!

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:15 pm

marvinberry wrote:Thank you MediaVets but I have watched these videos dozens of times. They are not helping me with the Hand Control or guiding me through shooting a 360 or panormama in enough detail using the wi-fi module. I appreciate your response though!

Forget the Hand control it has nothing at all to do with shooting panoaramas - it is designed for use with the Panogear mount in its original astrotelescope mount 'mode'.

The link I offered provides a link (right side of the web page) to a tutorial about upgrading the firmware - as Marcus advised - which is what I thought you were looking for?

I have never seen nor used a Panoshoot device, but from users' reports it seems that the Panoshoot takes many of them some time and patience to get to grips with. I have the impression - perhaps mistaken - that it's about as user friendly as a cornered rat.

So why not try Papywizard in the meantime.

Or, if you have an Android device with Bluetooth - phone or tablet - you might instead (or, as well) like to try the (free) PandroidWiz app. which works over a Bluetooth link:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fvh.panoramic.pandroidwiz&hl=en
Andrew Stephens

no avatar
marvinberry

by marvinberry » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:27 pm

Hi MediaVets,

Great thank you. But how do I find out what firmware I am currently running on the Panogear?...

In regards to the advice on the Android app - I can certainly get hold of an Android device, but the Panogear does not have a Bluetooth transmitter/reciever. Only the new wi-fi dongle was supplied, which doesn't provide a Bluetooth connection (I believe)?

Many thanks!!!

James

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:37 pm

marvinberry wrote:Hi MediaVets,

Great thank you. But how do I find out what firmware I am currently running on the Panogear?...

Dunno...perhaps Marcus can tell you.

In regards to the advice on the Android app - I can certainly get hold of an Android device, but the Panogear does not have a Bluetooth transmitter/reciever. Only the new wi-fi dongle was supplied, which doesn't provide a Bluetooth connection (I believe)?

Many thanks!!!

James

Oh dear.. it seems that Kolor has also chosen no longer to sell the Bluetooth interface device for the Panogear mount.

But if you want one you can get them direct from the developer here:

http://www.papymerlin.com/interface-%C3%A9lectronique/

Just use the links to email Claude VanHemmens and I'm sure he'll be happy sell and post one to you.
Andrew Stephens

no avatar
marvinberry

by marvinberry » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:39 pm

Thanks MediaVets - your help was much appreciated. Marcus can you advise?

Anyone else in Panogear world gpt experience with Kolor's (Panoshoots) new wi-fi module PLEASE?

James

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:42 pm

To be honest I am having huge problems operting the Pangear via the wi-fi method as well. But in the box, I received the Hand Control (pic attached to original message) with very basic instructions on how to operate it for 'astronomical' and 'terrestrial' use.

Because I am having issues with both the wi-fi dongle and the Hand Control I simply can't do anything! The majority of the documentation supplied covered Bluetooth and Papywizard which I sadly don't have! Has anyone operated the Pangear manually for a 360 using the Hand Control? Or has anyone used the wi-fi method successfully?? I could really use help from anyone and everyone, as I am getting little response from Kolor Support to date!!!

Thank you!!!

James

Hi James!

Yes - i heard about some issues.

But he T&C handheld is still available from the developer. I´ll drop you a mail. In my eyes the best solution: simple and straight.
No BT hazzle, no WiFi hazzle, no application hazzle, no interferences of any kind - it never failed a single time for me for several years of use now. The same device - with altered firmware - is used for the Panoneed head: www.panoneed.com, http://360impressions.de/800erPanoneed.jpg

best, Klaus

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:45 pm

marvinberry wrote:Thanks MediaVets - your help was much appreciated. Marcus can you advise?

Anyone else in Panogear world gpt experience with Kolor's (Panoshoots) new wi-fi module PLEASE?

James

See: http://www.kolor.com/forum/f46-panoshoot
Andrew Stephens

gkaefer

by gkaefer » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:58 pm

Thank you!!!

James

than I just can give you the advise to return it. I would do it. As others did post, the T&C handcontroller is available from developer www.typeandcolour.de (Klaus has personal longtime releationship to Josef from T&C)
what I read in Forum and in Manual about panoshoot - personally I conclude its a gadged with serious Problems, very curious Workflows.

I did use the TC handcontroller and the Merlin now for years. Currently I reached a Point where the Merlin is limiting me (heavy lenses, gigapixel panos, Speed, accuracy etc.)
Now for me its easy to Keep my TC handcontroller and to Exchange my Merlin with the T&C own development of panohead panoneed.

I cant understand the Change of the package Content and why the user does not get the choice to choose which device to prefer...

Georg
Last edited by gkaefer on Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
marvinberry

by marvinberry » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:17 pm

Hi Georg,

Thanks for the message!

I am so pleased that you joined the conversation. I have a fairly technical head on my shoulders but I have never found anything nearly as confusing as this issue I am now having. Kolor have a strict 7 day returns policy. It's now been over 2 weeks due to the fact that their emails responses are so rare.

I feel as if the wi-fi module is a new technology which has been released without proper instruction and support and pehaps quite buggy. I am totally perplexed and very anxious about the whole situation.

Thank you to all of you for your comments thus far!!

James

no avatar
Artisan New

by Artisan New » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:05 pm

Bluetooth: Invented by Eric Haartsen at Sony Ericsson in Emmen......nice protocol for close range (20 meter max or so) communication between devices....but Dutch invention so use at own risk (I'm Dutch and a coder so I should know right....) since it's not that safe....

WiFi: International standard of wireless communication.....much larger range (have had succesfull connects from a mobile device standing at the Veemkade in Amsterdam to a router on the Java island).

Panoshoot, not just a WiFi dongle but a dongle complete with a webserver....(probably a small Linux clone running on an ARM processor). Great stuff in theory...since this way any device with a browser (capable of running Java in the right version should be able to connect).

So the proces is simple. Plug the Panoshoot dongle into the Panogear port.....connect the camera to the panogear with the appropriate cable....test with the joystick on the Panoshoot wether the head responds to the movement of the joystick (if not cry wolf at Kolor's office since you should be entitled to a new dongle since it is DOA or you have no batteries in the Panogear.....in which case you technohead needs a reboot (the one on your shoulders right).

The get a nice Wifi capable device....anyone will do and make a connection to the head. Since the head does not use authentication (a security risk but not that big :)) starting up the wireless menu (the little stepped icon in Windows) then select the Panoshoot option and surfto the default IP adres of the dongle by entering the URL panoshoot.com or the IP-adres 192.168.245.1.....you should see a menu and you should be able to fill in camera profiles and the works....

Where did I get my info.....ah, believe it or not but there is a nice (as in I've seen worse right Kolor) manual on the www.panoshoot.com website (not to be confused with the page loaded onto the mobile device by the dongle). You can download it here:

http://www.panoshoot.com/index.php/download

in English, German, French and Spannish......now do I think this is a good as the T&C controler...yes and no, advantage wireless operation, disadvantages wireless operation. But both seem to have all the hoopla needed to sucseed. I would opt for the T&C controler (if I was using a Panogear (which I'm not) and if I wasn't developing my own controler), because it seems to me the more simple technology.......my controler will have WiFi operation as a future option....just to be able to use it on a pole. But it still will be locked firmly to the motors via cables, and will not be entirely based on WiFi.

Greets, Ed.
Olympus OM-D with HLD-6, Fuji GX680, Samyang 7.5, Olympus 9-18, Sigma 19, Panasonic 14-45, Nikon 50 1.4 on Novoflex with tripod mount, Nikon 80-200, Panasonic 45-200, Fujinon 135, Fujinon 80, Fujinon 65, Fujinon 50, Gitzo Gilux Reporter 2, Sirui Ballhead and Panosaurus 2.0 NNP adapter, Motorized Panohead of Canadian (ironware)/Dutch (electronics and software) construction.

no avatar
Artisan New

by Artisan New » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:09 pm

One more thing.....with the T&C controler you have a single package.....no other devices needed (so no other devices to loose at a hectic shoot).

Greets, Ed.
Olympus OM-D with HLD-6, Fuji GX680, Samyang 7.5, Olympus 9-18, Sigma 19, Panasonic 14-45, Nikon 50 1.4 on Novoflex with tripod mount, Nikon 80-200, Panasonic 45-200, Fujinon 135, Fujinon 80, Fujinon 65, Fujinon 50, Gitzo Gilux Reporter 2, Sirui Ballhead and Panosaurus 2.0 NNP adapter, Motorized Panohead of Canadian (ironware)/Dutch (electronics and software) construction.

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:45 pm

Artisan New wrote:One more thing.....with the T&C controler you have a single package.....no other devices needed (so no other devices to loose at a hectic shoot).

Greets, Ed.

Good point, Ed!

Klaus

no avatar
marvinberry

by marvinberry » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:54 am

Thanks Ed. I've read through the instructions on the Panoshoot website a few times and am setting aside all of Sunday to go through it all yet again. Will let you all know the outcome. Thanks for your help!

no avatar
marvinberry

by marvinberry » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:43 pm

Dear all,

Success, I have the Pangogear working using the wi-fi! I couldn't tell you what I did differently, it must be a miracle! I took all the cables out and re-set up everything as if it were day 1 again. Good wi-fi signal and was able to create a 360 panorama with 3 rows. And managed a great stitch with Autopano Giga 3. Thank you to you all for your invaluable help and patience with me as I'm just a beginner with this equipment and software. I hope you will all be as patient when I stumble through Panotour Pro with numerous questions!! Many thanks again!!!! : )))))

Return to Panogear