The problem with Autopano Video publishing  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Video!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
urke

The problem with Autopano Video publishing

by urke » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:40 pm

I am very excited by the new 360 video possibilities with Autopano Video, but there is one big issue: Publishing.

The package with hardware and software will easily cost €4000, but still without an included web player. For that I will need the still-in-beta hosted player, with an unknown final cost.

The problem: If I choose to use €4000 on the hardware/software setup, I have no idea what it will cost me to publish the results. And without being able to publish on my own servers, there is no obvious way to brand/adjust the player or monetize using commercials.

The solution: The web player should be included in the Autopano Video package. The pricing for hosted publishing (and iOS SDK) should be published now. Until then, I will wait before making these investments.

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

by AlexandreJ » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:20 pm

Good point.

Unfortunately, the real solution is not here as a single technology isn't enough to show 360° video everywhere.
- on modern browser with webgl, kolor eyes html5 can be used
- we need fallback method for old browser in flash ( on your hosting, it is krpano based )
With both technologies cleverly put together, you can get a decent solution for desktop.

Now mobile, tablet space :
- no way to make it work through html5 for the moment.
- We need to go native => the player has to be an application.

No real solution without having a hosting behind that communicates cleverly with the either the HTML5 player, or Flash or the native application and make sure your content can be visible everywhere.

This is why we did it this way. As if we had released the html5 player just like that, many people would have complained : it doesn't work on IE, I have an old browser, it doesn't work, on ipad, it doesn't work, etc. Complicated.

no avatar
urke

by urke » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:38 pm

Thanks for the quick reply, Alexandre.

I understand the technical challenges involved. However, there should be no technical reasons why I can´t use the same code (with browser detections, fallbacks and what not) on my own server, making my own tweaks. If you are afraid of complaints - publish it as beta code with no warranties. The native part could be pushed to either the Kolor Eyes app or own app using the SDK.

If you still don´t want to go this way - at least I hope you can publish the price and specifications for the hosted solution, and have customizing, branding/whitelabel and monetizing in mind when developing this solution. I really want you to succeed with this, and I think the best way is to help your professional customers make good business using your tools.

no avatar
gddxb

by gddxb » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:41 pm

Here's the problem as I see it with the proposed hosting business model.

YouTube doesn't charge me to host my videos. Quite the opposite in fact - they pay me to put my videos up there, and once uploaded, I can embed them on any website I choose.

I can't see that any business model that relies on the content owner paying for hosting is going to last very long.

Rgds,

Gerald.

no avatar
Didi

by Didi » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:17 pm

some news?

@Alphonso

by @Alphonso » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:05 am

Well first, with Youtube you will get a lot of random ads so they are not paying you, you are being spammed for pennies a day.

If you are spending this much money on 360 video production "just for fun" then you can just buy some hosting for fun too:) Not cheesy Panos either...

If you are selling this service to a business then maybe pass on the incurred charges... Make some Awesome Video Panos not #### you see on youtube! Vids people will pay YOU for!

The bandwidth and distribution network required for something like this is going to be Expensive...

You have to pay to play with big toys! I do:) Relax. H3Black is $399usd. Have you shattered your first one or two playing around shooting some awesome Panos yet? lol And you cant just have one 360 mount... How do you shoot multiple views? Underwater? On a burning car?!?! And they break too:)

I don't wan't to see a bunch of cat videos on this service. Quality. Amazing. Unique. Paid.

-Alphonso

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

by AlexandreJ » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:18 am

With the 360° video hosting solution, we are not going to cat videos style, for sure. We want quality, we want unique features, we want to provide something that you can monetize.
For the moment, it is totally free and will stay this way during some time. But if you already need it professionally with guaranteed bandwidth to handle massive events, we can make proposal. Just contact us through the video dedicated email, video at kolor dot com.

Return to Using Autopano Video