What do you do with your original files?  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
Track

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

What do you do with your original files?

by Track » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:19 pm

After you've rendered your Gigapixel, you're left with hundreds or even thousands of image files.

So, what do you do?

There are two options:

1.) You delete them.

2.) You store them and continuously buy more hard drives.

Thanks.

no avatar
HansKeesom

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by HansKeesom » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:28 pm

plus

3 make them available to the one that pays the bill
Last edited by HansKeesom on Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, Hans Keesom
I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:34 pm

Track wrote:After you've rendered your Gigapixel, you're left with hundreds or even thousands of image files.

So, what do you do?

There are two options:

1.) You delete them.

2.) You store them and continuously buy more hard drives.

Thanks.

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
Track

Topic author
Info

by Track » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:43 pm

HansKeesom wrote:3 make them available to the one that pays the bill

What do you mean by this?

klausesser wrote:2.

best, Klaus

But my question is - how do you keep up?

I can shoot 1TB in a week. So, every month I buy a 4TB Hard drive?

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:44 pm

I´d never do that! Think about your client suddenly wants to have something changed, you´re not on the phone . . . and he gives
the files to somebody else for stitching . .

If that one does it bad - whose name will be on the wall? Right: the photographer´s name.

That´s why i keep all original data and why i insist that editing anything may only done by me.

best, Klaus

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:46 pm

Track wrote:

best, Klaus

I´m not a mass-shooter. A 2TB drive every 6 months does it very well.

best, Klaus

no avatar
Track

Topic author
Info

by Track » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:51 pm

klausesser wrote:I´m not a mass-shooter. A 2TB drive every 6 months does it very well.

best, Klaus

Okay, but that doesn't help me. I shoot Gigapixels and Time-Lapse and they both take a ridiculous amount of space on my hard drives. I simply can't keep up.

I also don't see the point - if you've rendered the files and you're 100% sure that you did a perfect job, why do you need the originals?

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:18 pm

Track wrote:I also don't see the point - if you've rendered the files and you're 100% sure that you did a perfect job, why do you need the originals?

1) nothing is sure for 100%.
2) aspects can change and so maybe you need to re-do a stitch regarding geometrics, colors or whatever.
3) why do you ask when you don´t like answers?

no avatar
Track

Topic author
Info

by Track » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:23 pm

klausesser wrote:1) nothing is sure for 100%.

What I mean is - Good enough to warrant deleting the original files.

Think of this way - what would you do if you knew that you had to delete the original files after rendering?

klausesser wrote:2) aspects can change and so maybe you need to re-do a stitch regarding geometrics, colors or whatever.

Aspects can change.. what do you mean by this?

klausesser wrote:3) why do you ask when you don´t like answers?

Last edited by Track on Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:26 pm

Track wrote:
klausesser wrote:1) nothing is sure for 100%.

What I mean is - Good enough to warrant deleting the original files.

Think of this way - what would you do if you knew that you had to delete the original files after rendering?

klausesser wrote:2) aspects can change and so maybe you need to re-do a stitch regarding geometrics, colors or whatever.

Aspects can change.. what do you mean by this?

klausesser wrote:3) why do you ask when you don´t like answers?

Track - delete all files after rendering.

best and good luck, Klaus
Last edited by klausesser on Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
Track

Topic author
Info

by Track » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:30 pm

klausesser wrote:Track - delete all files after rendering.

Why aren't you answering my questions?

no avatar
HansKeesom

Info

by HansKeesom » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:01 pm

Track wrote:

best, Klaus

I put all originals, results and .pano and tour files on dropbox or a memorycard and send it to the person/company that pays for the virtual tour. So they always have a backup in case something goes wrong or if they want to work on it themselves.

See other thread, how on earth do you end up with 1 TB a week? Withouth making money out of it?

Actually, you will twice 4,5 GB a month. One drive should be backup of the other.
Regards, Hans Keesom
I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:12 pm

Track wrote:

I did.

Klaus

aaronpriest

Info

by aaronpriest » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:39 am

I keep all RAW files that I use (deleting the bad ones that I don't use) and all final images with any source data I might need to recreate it (settings files from APG, PTGui, Photomatix Pro, SNS HDR, Oloneo, etc.), but I delete all the temporary intermediates like TIFFs and what not. 8TB holds everything I've shot over 10 years, but I'm producing more every month now than ever before with spherical HDR timelapses. Certainly not 1TB of source files a month yet.

no avatar
Track

Topic author
Info

by Track » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:47 am

klausesser wrote:
Track wrote:

I did.

Klaus

Don't insult me by lying to me, Klaus. If you don't want to help me (for whatever reasons), just tell me.

But no, you did not answer my questions and you seemed to have vanished from the discussion in my other thread.

I don't understand why you're always so short and rude to me.. I know you have a lot to teach me, but you refuse to.

To reiterate:

1.) What else is wrong with this image?

2.) You say that things could change somewhere down the road leading you to want to re-render a pano - what would those things be?

3.) What do I do about this?

Zooming in, you can't tell that anything is wrong with the Gigapixel.

But when zoomed-out.. there is an overlaying exposure inconsistency which appears in the form of banding.
Last edited by Track on Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
Artisan New

Info

by Artisan New » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:01 am

Intriging discussion and a rerun of a previous one as well.......Klaus has answered you to the letter, komma and point in your previous post:

>I store the original files (all the orriginal camera-files (RAW) i selected to work with), i store the construction files, i store the xml, i store the >equirectangular files, i store the pano/tour-consruction files and i of course store the panos/tours.
>
>Actually i have 8 TB space (4x2) inside my MacPro and 8 TB (4x2) drives external. When i need more space i´ll buy additional drives.
>For external storing i use a 4-slot hot swappable array.
>I have about 10 TB filled. Our webspace is around 25GB.
>
>My biggest panos are around 4Gpx. 700Mpx is my average size.
>
>best, Klaus

Knowing Klaus a bit :) this should not have changed since april......now let me ask you a question back?

How in hell do you create a Tbyte of data a week?

Because if you do you need to back the stuff up on external 1 or 2 Tb hardrives, there is no way arround it. That will set you back about 200 dollars a week, but shooting that amount of photos (1 Tb = 1 x 10^12 bytes/10Mbyte for a average .jpg......would amount to 100.000 pictures a week.....a high quality camera has a shutter that last around 250.000 operation so you should be buying a new D4 (7000 dollars) every 2.5 weeks, now a few bob spend on external harddrives does not matter I guess.....

On thing:

The future usability of a file does very well depend on the way the file is stored. Since different forms of storage use different algorithms that are either lossy, which means they are losing data during compression using smart algorithm like the one that is used in JPEG encoding. This means that a partial file can't be restored to yield a full picture (some redundancy in the JPEG algorithm can reduce but not eliminate this risk). If you loose some bytes of a file in storage (which can happen due to degradation of the material of the storage medium, which is subject to simple wear and tear due to heating/cooling cycles etc, moisture (ferro metals rust), and even magnetic degradation due to influence of terrestrial and extra terrestrial nature (later not in the form of little green men but cosmic radiation). In general the less computing has to be done in order to read data, the less chance there is that in the future data can be recovered. A simple bitmap can be extracted and translated by a simple piece of code. The recovery of .jpeg files needs a lot more code and reverse enginering it from the data (gibberish) would be hard if not impossible.
Olympus OM-D with HLD-6, Fuji GX680, Samyang 7.5, Olympus 9-18, Sigma 19, Panasonic 14-45, Nikon 50 1.4 on Novoflex with tripod mount, Nikon 80-200, Panasonic 45-200, Fujinon 135, Fujinon 80, Fujinon 65, Fujinon 50, Gitzo Gilux Reporter 2, Sirui Ballhead and Panosaurus 2.0 NNP adapter, Motorized Panohead of Canadian (ironware)/Dutch (electronics and software) construction.

gkaefer

Liked in: 15 posts
Info

by gkaefer » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:00 am

Track wrote:

read the post - he did answer each single question. if you cant use it or just dont understand it just say it, but not in your style...

1. after Rendering your pano, delete the original Images. no space Problem anymore...
2. but if you may redo a pano days/weeks/months/years later than you cant. So in case you ever plan to redo your panos, find a solution for your TB/week (lol) Problem.

Notation from my side - very personal - maybe I just cant imageine your workflow - others did mention it - how can you produce 1TB Images per week ... if so you earn enough money to have no problem to invest in professional SAN or NAS storage System capable to pickup all your data. I did answer this in your other posting about this... ist just a 40TB ... if you dont Need any security, buy a BD writer and fill up your discs. ist cheaper than a NAS, but takes more time writing/reading the data...

PS: I dont like your way to authoritative rule other users but yourself you dont adhere to simple Forum rules like multiple posting the same issue...

more than one Forum member now asked why/how you can create 1 TB (source?) Images per week. It would be interesting to hear about your workflow how it comes to 1TB/week.

Georg
Last edited by gkaefer on Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
con

Info

by con » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:18 am

Track wrote:Why aren't you answering my questions?

been 3 years on these forums and found them wonderfully informative and thankfully you're only the first person I've had the mispleasure of reading.

no avatar
marzipano

Liked in: 14 posts
Info

by marzipano » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:35 am

This was asked by the same person 3 months ago and answered at that time

It degenerated in much the same way as it has this time

I'm afraid this is just trolling in my book

no avatar
Artisan New

Info

by Artisan New » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:41 pm

@Marzipano and Tracks

I guess Mr. Track is a bit frustrated by limits....well message to the world, everything has limits, even Gigapano's. To me it's a technique I use to expand the possibilities of my camera beyond it's limits. My longest lens is 400mm (FF equivalent). The biggest angle I use is about 80 degrees to be distortionless....(more can be done but it no shurefire thing so best forgotten). That means I could go for 70.000 x 50.000 pixels (3.5 Gpixel) but the limit of my computer is about 2 Gpixel.....having said that printed a 70.000 x 50.000 is 70.000/300 x 2.54 = 5.92 meter or about 20 feet (if you measure in smelly stuff). Now that is large enough in my book since only some large printing facilities (for instance Grieger in Düsseldorf have the capabilities to handle print sizes like that if you hand them enough cash (a rather large stack of cash)).

Now how to publish Gigapixels for your own enjoyment without breaking the bank (and the walls of your appartment). The trick is to look at the KRPANO site.....a 140 dollar piece of software can transform a rectilinear file into a set of small .jpg for viewing. It can handle serveral file types as input including a dot .KRO and a .PSD PSB.....then you can use your Internet browser to view the picture and you also have a publisheble set of files (for instance for publishing on your website).

Personally I see no point in making 360 Gpixel files btw......so much detail is simply not manageble for the (human) viewer. So you end up with a large filestructure on a server that receives only limited use......and the bigger the pano to bigger the risks regarding stitching errors.

Greets, Ed.

P.S. In my book the pano's up to 1 Gpixel are usually the pritiest because they produce the least errors.........and no errors in my book is a prerequisite for beauty.

P.P.S. I like the view from Central Park South 106 or the Ritz Carlton. But do tell me, have you used different camera's for different photos...the zebra striped, banded one is due to light fallof (vignetting) to the edges of the frame. What is best (or better more consistent) is to shoot RAW, proces the files in a good RAW processor that corrects lens defects (I use DxO, some use ACR others their program of choise) and then to start stitching (in my case on 16 bit uncompressed TIFF's, in your case better on .jpg's I guess :)). If you are satisfied with the pano you should ditch the .raw's of course. If not you should rework the batch. I know it's a lengthy proces.....Hans Keesom does it professionally and so does Klaus Esser, so they both damned well know their stuf (no use arguing with Klaus until your damned sure of yourself, right Klaus :)).
Last edited by Artisan New on Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Olympus OM-D with HLD-6, Fuji GX680, Samyang 7.5, Olympus 9-18, Sigma 19, Panasonic 14-45, Nikon 50 1.4 on Novoflex with tripod mount, Nikon 80-200, Panasonic 45-200, Fujinon 135, Fujinon 80, Fujinon 65, Fujinon 50, Gitzo Gilux Reporter 2, Sirui Ballhead and Panosaurus 2.0 NNP adapter, Motorized Panohead of Canadian (ironware)/Dutch (electronics and software) construction.

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:41 pm

Track wrote:
klausesser wrote:
Track wrote:Why aren't you answering my questions?

I did.

Klaus

Don't insult me by lying to me, Klaus. If you don't want to help me (for whatever reasons), just tell me.

But no, you did not answer my questions and you seemed to have vanished from the discussion in my other thread.

I don't understand why you're always so short and rude to me.. I know you have a lot to teach me, but you refuse to.

To reiterate:

1.) What else is wrong with this image?

[url]http://t.imgbox.com/abxFcsCG.jpg[/url]

2.) You say that things could change somewhere down the road leading you to want to re-render a pano - what would those things be?

3.) What do I do about this?

[url]http://t.imgbox.com/acsnqqsx.jpg[/url]

Zooming in, you can't tell that anything is wrong with the Gigapixel.

But when zoomed-out.. there is an overlaying exposure inconsistency which appears in the form of banding.

Track -

1) please realize that i answered to you each and every question which make sense. I will not answer senseless questions.
Especially not because you seem to dislike any answer which differs from your opinion . . (but then why do you ask at all??)
2) being "rude" to you . . maybe. You stress my patience very much by not listen to ANY answer.
3) looking at your post-stamp-sized images under the aspect of "gigapixels" is ridiculous.
What i see on them is a quality which never would meet what i expect from a "gigapixel".
That might be related to the compression or resizing or whetever.
4) so - if you really want to get a sensefull answer: male the images multires, put them on a server and post the link.
This way we can see what´s really in your gigapixel by zooming in @100%.

Klaus

no avatar
Artisan New

Info

by Artisan New » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:00 pm

Ah Klaus,

Listen to the words of great prophet Rinus Michels "Op stomme vragen moet je ook stomme antwoorden geven, niet waar", which translates to "You have to grace stupid questions with stupid answers". And yes "What do you do with your original files" has all the marks of a stupid question but in my book it is not. But the answer is also embedded in the question......either save them and buy hard drives by the dozens or trash them....and risk reshoots. Now my harddrive space is 8Tb in total.......(drives are cheap these days) and that is more then sufficient for all my panoneeds (pun not intended but liked :)).

Greets, Ed.

P.S. Klaus I sometimes limit my pano's at 50 to 70%......100% is for pixel peepers (I don't print a 100% either that would amount to 92 dpi using my monitor and I require at least 220 dpi if not 300 dpi in print), not for photographers (IMHO, but you are free to differ about it and knowing your work you can get away with it).
Last edited by Artisan New on Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:10 pm

Artisan New wrote:But the answer is also embedded in the question......either save them and buy hard drives by the dozens or trash them....and risk reshoots.

That´s what it´s all about. :cool:

I stated my personal opinion (whose else´s opinion could i state?) several times: store the original data.

Track asked: why?

I answered why i do it.

I again explained my reasons to do it.

well . . .

Klaus
Last edited by klausesser on Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
Artisan New

Info

by Artisan New » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:47 pm

klausesser wrote:
Artisan New wrote:But the answer is also embedded in the question......either save them and buy hard drives by the dozens or trash them....and risk reshoots.

I stated my personal opinion (whose else´s opinion could i state?) several times: store the original data.

I answered why i do it.

well . . .

Klaus

Could not Agree more! I guess the problem also lies in the fact that non of the other photographers in the forum generate that amount (or should i say mount) of data.....I'm creating about 300 Gb a year at the moment and that is stored on external hard drives (about 2 per 3 years).

Greets, Ed.

P.S. I'm still bewildered how you can create 1 Tb a week.....spooky....
Last edited by Artisan New on Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
Artisan New

Info

by Artisan New » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:52 pm

klausesser wrote:

I answered why i do it.

well . . .

Klaus

Could not Agree more!

Greets, Ed.

Next