Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:17 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: T&C Controller
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:26 pm 

Hi Guys

Hoping to get back into pano's this summer. I love PW but not the nokia) would like a dedicated controller or tablet based solution. I read about the T&C controller. Seems a little expensive (to buy in US$ and ship)

I have a few questions for T&C users

How much faster is it that PW with Merlin. I read the moves are much quicker. My shoots are taking close to an hour and i want to reduce as much as possible to minimize lighting changes

What about upgrades? The great thing about PW is that it's all software. Are there software/firmware upgrades for the T7C

Regards

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:57 pm 

mark_anderson_us wrote:
Hi Guys

Hoping to get back into pano's this summer. I love PW but not the nokia) would like a dedicated controller or tablet based solution. I read about the T&C controller. Seems a little expensive (to buy in US$ and ship)

I have a few questions for T&C users

How much faster is it that PW with Merlin. I read the moves are much quicker. My shoots are taking close to an hour and i want to reduce as much as possible to minimize lighting changes

What about upgrades? The great thing about PW is that it's all software. Are there software/firmware upgrades for the T7C

Regards

Mark

Hi Mark!

i can only compar it to the N800 - here the TC is remarkably faster. But still the limiting factor is the Merlin. Using lenses over 100mm it gets VERY slow - because it keeps in GoTo-mode all the time.

Basically i only can suggest the TC - it´s small, fast . . . and absolutely reliable :rolleyes::cool:.
You plug it into the head, switch the head on and there you go. No hazzle with BT/Wlan-adresses and so on.
It can´t make spaghetti, wouldn´t provide an espresso or dances on the tables - it just does what it was invented for: controlling the head for shooting panoramas.
If you want to do HDR you need to get PromoteControl or MagicLantern. Both they can do it perfectly and timelapse, focus-ramp and so on. Both they work flawlessly with the TC.

best, Klaus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:22 pm 

Magic Lantern is sort of an USP (Unique Selling Point) for Canons like the video hacks by Nick Driftwood are for the GH2 but no comparison there, Magic Lantern wood be able to lure my into the Canon camp, and I'm an Nikonion at heart. And if Merlin then T&C controler, that figures Klaus. It does not break the bank and gets the job done indeed.

Slow is relative Klaus. If you compare it to a high end solution yes, if you compare it to manual, maybe less so. And even then speed is not everything. Working stressfree and error free is also important and I find taking long lens (>200mm) panorama's quite exhausting by hand, since then you are approaching the limits of your manual precision (at least with my manual panorama head). It's all about ergonomics I guess.

Greets, Ed.

Olympus OM-D with HLD-6, Fuji GX680, Samyang 7.5, Olympus 9-18, Sigma 19, Panasonic 14-45, Nikon 50 1.4 on Novoflex with tripod mount, Nikon 80-200, Panasonic 45-200, Fujinon 135, Fujinon 80, Fujinon 65, Fujinon 50, Gitzo Gilux Reporter 2, Sirui Ballhead and Panosaurus 2.0 NNP adapter, Arduino Uno.