Best Way to Use Photomatix ....  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
pollarda

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Best Way to Use Photomatix ....

by pollarda » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:28 pm

I recently purchased Photomatix and I'm confused as to the best way to HDR merge the images prior to stitching them into a panorama.

It seems to me that I need to be able to tell Photomatix that all the bracketed pictures are part of the same "group" so that the colors are consided throughout the whole panorama set not just the individual bracketed set. Is there a way to do this? I have found a way to batch process the images but can't find a way to tell Photomatix that they are all part of the same master image / panorama. I ran a panorama once through the Gigapan stitcher after Photomatix and this was the result :

http://www.gigapan.com/gigapans/114571

(Note the frames top right where there was a bit of mountain in it v.s. clear sky.)

Thoughts?

-Art

no avatar
marzipano

Liked in: 14 posts
Info

by marzipano » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:37 pm

As far as I know (and I use Photomatix myself) you can't do that

However, if you get a colour balance you like on the first set of bracketed images you can save the settings on disk for use on all the other members of the pano

I haven't encountered any more problems stitching hdr images from Photmatix than I would get in APG just stitching and blending single images
Last edited by marzipano on Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:44 pm

pollarda wrote:I recently purchased Photomatix and I'm confused as to the best way to HDR merge the images prior to stitching them into a panorama.

It seems to me that I need to be able to tell Photomatix that all the bracketed pictures are part of the same "group" so that the colors are consided throughout the whole panorama set not just the individual bracketed set. Is there a way to do this? I have found a way to batch process the images but can't find a way to tell Photomatix that they are all part of the same master image / panorama. I ran a panorama once through the Gigapan stitcher after Photomatix and this was the result :

(Note the frames top right where there was a bit of mountain in it v.s. clear sky.)

Thoughts?

-Art

Did you try stitching with APG?
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

DrSlony

Liked in: 0 post
Info

by DrSlony » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:07 am

Its better quality-wise to tone map after stitching. Try rendering a HDR pano.

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:58 am

pollarda wrote:I recently purchased Photomatix and I'm confused as to the best way to HDR merge the images prior to stitching them into a panorama.

Thoughts?

-Art

It should be obvious that you need to put each set of bracketed images into a seperate folder and name it A, B or whatever . . .

For finding the best settings take one picture-set and drag it onto the Photomatix-icon.
Find the setting you want to use for all images in the folder and save the settings in this folder.

In the batch dialog set the path to this folder and open the settings you found for this folder.

Done.

No problem to run multiple folders as batch. How many batches you can run in parallel only depends on the amout of RAM and the speed of your
computer.

And don´t forget: there´s a handbook . .

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:59 am

DrSlony wrote:Its better quality-wise to tone map after stitching. Try rendering a HDR pano.

I definitely disagree.

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel