i wish to shoot a giga pixle panorma  

English support for Panogear kit
no avatar
tamiro

i wish to shoot a giga pixle panorma

by tamiro » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:18 pm

my gear is Nikon D300s + Nikon ED 300mm F4

is the Kolor panogear head can fit this equipment?

and one more thing...

the Touch Control Panel
dose it help me shoot?
or i can do it with my laptop?

Tamir

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:36 pm

What is the total mass/weight of the camera body and lens?

What sort of panoramic scene(s) do you wish to photograph? Distant landscape from a high vantage point? Or....

You could use a laptop - so long as the battery autonomy is sufficient for the duration of the shoot, assuming you will be using the laptop with battery power rather than mains power.

The Touch Controller has some advantages over a laptop. I'll leave it to those who have one to describe those advantages.

Do you shoot as a hobby or are you a pro photographer?

What is your max. budget for a robotic pano head?
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
tamiro

by tamiro » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:59 pm

What is the total mass/weight of the camera body and lens? --- 2.5 KG

What sort of panoramic scene(s) do you wish to photograph? Distant landscape from a high vantage point? --- yap. a distant landscape

You could use a laptop - so long as the battery autonomy is sufficient for the duration of the shoot, assuming you will be using the laptop with battery power rather than mains power. ok - got it

The Touch Controller has some advantages over a laptop. I'll leave it to those who have one to describe those advantages.

Do you shoot as a hobby or are you a pro photographer? cant say.. you can see here http://www.360vr.tamiror.com

What is your max. budget for a robotic pano head? 1000 EURO

tanx

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:01 pm

tamiro wrote:What is the total mass/weight of the camera body and lens? --- 2.5 KG

What sort of panoramic scene(s) do you wish to photograph? Distant landscape from a high vantage point? --- yap. a distant landscape

Then should be OK so long as you try and mount the camera/lesn such that it rotates close to the centre of mass.

You won't be able to mount the camera/lens at the NPP but that doesn't matter for the type of scene you wish to shoot.

Do you shoot as a hobby or are you a pro photographer? cant say.. you can see here http://www.360vr.tamiror.com

What is your max. budget for a robotic pano head? 1000 EURO

The reason I asked about whether you are a pro is that if you are able to command good fees for your work then you might consider a more expensive robotic head.

The Panogear system offers excellent value but because it's essentially a modifiefd astrotelescope mount it has some limitations too.

However the alternative robotic heads designed from the ground up for pano shooting are considerably more expensive and mainly outside your 1,000 Euro budget.

Those you might have considered are:

The Panoneed shortly to be available from T&C.

The Seitz VRDrive 2.

And perhaps the Gigapan Pro.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
tamiro

by tamiro » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:16 am

tanx

the gigapen pro is in my budget
http://gigapan.com/cms/shop/epic-pro

is it good enough for a giga pano with a few rows?

(D300s + 300 mm F4)

no avatar
Artisan S.

by Artisan S. » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:59 am

A Gigapan pro bot should do the trick quite nicely....especially if Gpixel pano's of the non spherical variety are your piece of cake...spherical and the Gigapan is sort of a no no, since it can't reduce the number of shot in the nadir/zenith region. I would check wether I could use my 300 F4 in the portrait position though (physical I mean, since shooting portrait is advisable in order to minimize stretching). I would advise against a Panogear since you more then likely would have to modify it to get the lens in the NPP (No Parralax Point) which can be important at times (if some foreground (like an antenna or a lightmast) blocks some of the view since that will throw APP of kilter.

And of course you can also shoot GPixel pano's using a manual adapter like the Nodal Ninja 5 with RD16 that wil give you 3.75 degree steps but then you would be limited to not using a 450 mm lens (the 300 will turn into a 450 on a DX Nikon). If you would use the lens on a 24 Mpixel D600 you could go with the mannual option. And in this case a 12 x 6 grid gets you 1.05 Gpixel..:).

And for the Gigapan you'll need a Nikon 10 Pin adapter cable....at least that is what their site states.

Greets, Ed.
Last edited by Artisan S. on Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to... suffering (c) Yoda.....

Olympus OM-D with HLD-6, Fuji GX680, Samyang 7.5, Olympus 9-18, Sigma 19, Panasonic 14-45, Nikon 50 1.4 on Novoflex with tripod mount, Nikon 80-200, Panasonic 45-200, Fujinon 135, Fujinon 80, Fujinon 65, Fujinon 50, Gitzo Gilux Reporter 2, Sirui Ballhead and Panosaurus 2.0 NNP adapter, Arduino Uno.

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:46 am

Artisan S. wrote:A Gigapan pro bot should do the trick quite nicely....especially if Gpixel pano's of the non spherical variety are your piece of cake...spherical and the Gigapan is sort of a no no, since it can't reduce the number of shot in the nadir/zenith region.

Quite - it's not too good for 360 HFOV panos either.

Price-wise the Gigapan Pro sits somewhere between the Panogear system, and the Seitz VRDrive 2 and the Panoneed, but is not as versatile as any of them. It is designed to shoot partial panos only - panos with a pano FOV of less tan 360x180 - by shooting a regulkar grid of images. If that meets your needs then that's fine.

The Panogear, Seitz VRDrive 2 and the Panoneed can all record shooting positions and that data can then be used by APP/APG (via their repscetive Import filters) to assist the stitcher in placing images that lack features for automatic control point detection (plain blue sky shots for exaxmple) which might otherwise be left out of the stitch. The Gigapan series of robotic panoheads can't do that, they can only shoot a regular grid in a limited number of patterns and that 'information' can be used by the Giagapan Stitcher and APP/APG (via the Gigapan Import filter) but it's not as 'clever' as using shooting position recorded data.

I would check whether I could use my 300 F4 in the portrait position though (physical I mean, since shooting portrait is advisable in order to minimize stretching).

The Gigapan series of robotic heads is designed to mount the camera/lens only in landscape orientation, as far as I know. And the Gigapan Stitcher software and the Gigapan Import 'filter' in APP/APG assumes landscape orientation of the images.

Be aware that the shooting of gigapixel images using a robotic pano head is in many ways the easy bit. The stitching and post-processing can be very challenging and requires considerable computing power, not to mention a lot of patience.
Andrew Stephens

no avatar
HansKeesom

by HansKeesom » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:18 am

Tamiro,

How much RAM do you have in the computer you want to proces the pnorama on?
Regards, Hans Keesom
I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.

no avatar
tamiro

by tamiro » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:19 am

that not going to be my first pano
i have this project http://www.360vr.tamiror.com/mtzeitim_en
that i wish to shoot againg with a logn lens

that project was shoot with the D300s+70-200 mm (199 mm) + NN5+RD16

i dont need a pano head for 360*180... http://www.360vr.tamiror.com/virtual/comm/carvr

if the panogear can work with the D300s+ a 300 mm lens
that good for me

(i wood like to calibrate the equipment to the NNP)

gkaefer

by gkaefer » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:35 am

Andrews hint about memory and gigapixels and budget is a serious one.
just follow Hans' yesterday posting. here only a 300 image panos he calculates a need of 25GB RAM to have an optimum RAM, so if you only have 12GB RAM instead this means waiting x times morewaiting instead of fluent 2 hour render...

http://www.kolor.com/forum/p108171-yesterday-22-52-49#p108171
(Hans also has a link to the origin with all the details to calculate the RAM needed by yourself...)

Georg

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:50 am

tamiro wrote:if the panogear can work with the D300s+ a 300 mm lens
that good for me

(i wood like to calibrate the equipment to the NNP)

I've no idea what the NPP for a 300mm lens on a D300S would be.

But I doubt very much that you could mount this combination at the NPP on a Panogear mount.

Whether you couild do so on any of the robotic pano heads we've mentioned I don't know.

Unless you have some subjects in a (distant landscape) scene closer than about 100m then it's generally not considered important to mount the camera lens at the NPP because parallax will not be an issue.

It's said to be more important to mount the camera/lens close to the centre of mass to ease the load on the tilt/pitch motor and gears.
Andrew Stephens

no avatar
HansKeesom

by HansKeesom » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:57 am

12 x 6 grid at 24 megapixel????
24 * 4 * 72 = 6 gb scratchfile.
so 6 gb of free RAM should work perfectly, 3 GB (of free) RAM will work if he has 6 GB free space on preferably a SSD.

But I guess the OP wants to do a bigger grid then 12*6 ;-)
Regards, Hans Keesom
I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.

no avatar
tamiro

by tamiro » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:45 pm

HansKeesom wrote:Tamiro,

im going to by a new computer
with win 7 64 bit
I 7
SSD
and 16 GIGA of RAM

but that not the issue here

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:59 pm

Artisan S. wrote:(physical I mean, since shooting portrait is advisable in order to minimize stretching).

No. The reason is: you need fewer moves vertical because of a wider vertical fov in portait-mode. That´s all.
Landscape-mode on the other hand has advantages in dealing with moving clouds and such things. here you need fewer moves horizontally becaus of a bigger fov horizontally.

Basically the portrait mode come from the tradition of manual heads - where horizontal you have click-stops but vertical it´s more complicated to move.
So here the portait-mode definitely has the advantage of fewer movings.

best, Klaus
Last edited by klausesser on Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:12 pm

mediavets wrote:I've no idea what the NPP for a 300mm lens on a D300S would be.

Depends on the length of the tube. But you rarely would need to really match the NPP.

mediavets wrote:Whether you couild do so on any of the robotic pano heads we've mentioned I don't know.

You can.

mediavets wrote:Unless you have some subjects in a (distant landscape) scene closer than about 100m then it's generally not considered important to mount the camera lens at the NPP because parallax will not be an issue.

It's said to be more important to mount the camera/lens close to the centre of mass to ease the load on the tilt/pitch motor and gears.

I definitely agree. But you also need perfect matching the NPP if you shoot close-ups of paintings.
Here´s one shot using a 85mm: www.360impressions.de/MKPBild1 (test-version - the frame´s shadow needs to be softened).
The NPP needed to be carefully matched - if i had used a 300mm matching would have been very much more critical :cool:

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
HansKeesom

by HansKeesom » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:14 pm

tamiro wrote:
HansKeesom wrote:Tamiro,

im going to by a new computer
with win 7 64 bit
I 7
SSD
and 16 GIGA of RAM

but that not the issue here

I advice to make sure more GB of RAM can be installed in future.
Regards, Hans Keesom

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:31 pm

klausesser wrote:But you also need perfect matching the NPP if you shoot close-ups of paintings.
Here´s one shot using a 85mm: www.360impressions.de/MKPBild1 (test-version - the frame´s shadow needs to be softened).

From what distance did you shoot this?

What lighting did you use?
Andrew Stephens

Return to Panogear