Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:34 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:59 am 

Hi Henrik,

It used to be so bad that I turned the GPU option in APG off. I could work on one pano at a time only and it would take minutes. Now I can work on two of them so one is previewrendering in the background while I edit the other. Then I hit the preview button and leave the computer alone for maybe one or two minutes to find both previews ready and waiting for the next editstep.

How APG will respond to two GPU's I don't know. The card I now have is capable of crossfire and it will cost only 85 euro to find out ;-) Not sure if APG supports or uses it. Andrea J earlier wrote something about memory being much more important for APG then the speed of the GPU. So a second card would only add another 4 GB, allowing me problably to work on 3 to 4 panoramas at the same time which would mean the preview of the first will be finished before I started the preview rendering of nr 4. Would certainly keep me busy and speed up my process again with 50-100%

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:54 pm 

Not bad! I think it's normal, that GPU load is not at 100%. You are not playing a 3D-Game with AA and FullHD resolution
So don't worry about bottlenecks! The biggest bottleneck always sitting infront of the PC ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:16 pm 

Hi Martin,

Absolutely true. I have been Alt Tabbing en mouse clicking the whole day and I don't think I can go any faster even if the computer would be any faster. Edited about 20 panoramas today, using masking tool alot and they are ready to go into rendering. Been a very productive day sofar, thanks to the new GPU I might say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:02 pm 

thanksHans, i thought you had added the new GPU, not replacing- but thats clear now :-)

Henrik

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:51 pm 

The old one has a rather large passive cooler, which it blocking the adjacent slot. That slot I rather use for another PCI-E SSD. And if I consider an extra GPU I think I spend another 85 euro on the same card as the new one and make them crossfire.

Came home after an evening with a friend, saw Autopano rendering the last of the 20 pano's . Perfect, throw them into panotour and generate a tour. never had a productive day like this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:13 am 

Glad its working so well :-)

i am reinstalling windows at the moment - onto 8x Samsung 830 128GB with a second drive with 12x Intel 520 120GB as temp/storage - we will see if it will make any difference in producing large pano's I have a little job for a book and we might do two 2x6m prints.

How big are the pano's that you are making (No of image, size of images, stacks/brackets???) just trying to get an idea of what you are archiving.

With my own setup i am finding i am limited to 2.5Gb/s read/write with boots to 3.2Gb/s

we'll see when i finish

Henrik

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:20 am 

Hi Henrik,

Hefty system you are having there....

The pano's I am working on are just 48 photos shot as 16 stack of 3. They were shot by a partner I work with on a Canon 450 and a Samyang 8mm lens. One could easily reduce the number of photos, but she finds it easier this way. Often I leave out a few stacks to make it easier.

I am also doing projects where each stack is 5 to even 9, though that is only in extreme light situations. Whn editing these I guess one editor open at a time is the best way to go.

Hans

Last edited by HansKeesom on Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:32 am 

A couple of years ago, before building my monster. I had been out shooting and between two of us, we came back with 200gb of files to process. I use three systems at the time, with remote connection, setting the pano up on the main system then passing them on to the two others for rendering. It could at time get confusing when I lost track of where I was and the computers struggled to keep up. It took me a good month to complete, which was what pushed me to start building my current system, which seem to evolve as time passes. But also as I learn more. It's been expensive and not without it's mistake, costly ones. But we live and learn - at the moment I am re-installing OS and apps.

Then it's testing it for reliability and overclock it back up again. All very exciting :-)

Henrik

Ps: I am not recommending others to do this because it is extreme

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:01 am 

Hi tived
The Intel 520 has relative slow seeking time but fast transfer rate for big files.
The Samsungs benefit is faster seeking time.
Why you not use the Samsungs for temp (small files) and let do the Intels the rest?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:33 am 

Hi Lumelix,

benchmarking the disks in 8xRAID-0 the INTELs are slightly faster - it is a bit of a jungle to sort out I have to admit - and I am not quite sure that I actually have gotten it right - atm i have just reinstalled the system with windows 7 x64 Pro and i am having issues with my raid controllers driver. I am getting a few BSOD atm trying to work this out.STOP 0x000000d1 with ref. to my storage driver.sys

Controller is Areca 1882ix 4GB cache with BBU 24-channels and I am using 20 of them ;-) the alternative solution is to take all the Intel 520's and use my 2 IBM M1015 / LSI9211-8i controllers and create an array on each controller and then stripe them in windows, to double the throughput... but i am using one of them in my old workstation to recover an old WD StoreSpace 4x2TB RAID-5, when thats done I can move the controller.

There is nothing like a bit of frustration because you have made it all too complicated for yourself, but i am confident that when i does come up and running it will be all worth it ;-) ...it better be LOL ;-)

Henrik
System

2x Intel XEON X5650
Noctua DH-14 cpu coolers
EVGA SR-2 mainboard
6x8gb Kingston ECC 1333 (to be replaced)
1x ASUS Geforece GTX-580
1x Areca 1882ix 24 4Gb Cache w/ Battery Backup Unit controller
2x IBM M1015 controller
8x Samsung 830 128GB
12x Intel 520 120GB
Lian Li V2120
Antec 1200w PSU

I have had 96Gb but it prohibited me from overclocking the CPU's from 2.6Ghz to 4.2Ghz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:40 am 

Hans,

on the subject on production - are you not shooting your pano's to a template? same setup each time?

Henrik

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:33 pm 

Hi Tived,

Confronted with so much data I can imagine you take serious steps to get on top of things again.

I found myself already with 28GB after a weekend of shooting nyelf plus 30GB from a week of shooting of my partner, so I am slowly getting into the same situation.

I hope to make steps forward that are a bit less costly. The 300 euro spend on a PCI-E SSD and a new GPu was wel spend in that sense. The next step is problably finetuning setting in APG and improving shooting technique to have the computer generate groups that are practicly free of any need for editing..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:50 pm 

Henrik,

Template? We shoot manual with a nodal ninja 3 and a 5. 60 degrees horizontal rotation. Vertical at +50 and -10 plus 3 or 4 nadir shots. All bracketed by 3 or more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:28 pm 

would you not still be able to use a template if you shot with the same lens setup? NN uses rotar's as well, so it will always be the same amount of clicks around with n-brackets, save it as template - it will at least give you a good starting point. Provided you follow the same patttern - not that i do myself :-) but i don't shoot spheres

i also added 24TB Synology NAS and i filled it within a week, so looking for one more when $$$ are available. The amount of storage involved - then you have a client calling up - ohh we can't find our files from a shoot 6 years ago

still need to do my own DAM so I can find what i look for,and practice what i preach :-)

Henrik

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:20 pm 

What is a template? An xml file that tells me teh location of the photos in the sphere? Hmmm not really a problem with the rights settings.

24TB? Hmmmm, I love it when you talk dirty ;-)

Meanwhile I realise that I can work on more then two panoramas at a time, so the botleneck is not the machine anymore.
Guess I need to see if I can crossfire my GPU with another. I ordered another copy of my GPU and will see how that will turn out. Crossfire promises to double the memory so that will give me 8 GB of GPU-memory.

Also I think I could do with a kind of touchpad with keys for the most important functions while working in the editor.

Last edited by HansKeesom on Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:51 pm 

tived! wrote:
enchmarking the disks in 8xRAID-0 the INTELs are slightly faster - it is a bit of a jungle to sort out I have to admit - and I am not quite sure that I actually have gotten it right - atm i have just reinstalled the system with windows 7 x64 Pro and i am having issues with my raid controllers driver. I am getting a few BSOD atm trying to work this out.STOP 0x000000d1 with ref. to my storage driver.sys

Very interessting and helpfull information. I'm looking for a fast and cheap SSD to build a RAID. So I'm looking to specifications and benchmarks. But it look's like in RAID it's an other thing!

SR-2 is recommented for 48GB. So with 96GB, VRAM must be increase. And when OC with triple channel, then a lot more ;)
BSOD can be related also to low voltage. Try to increase the voltage of the PCI-lanes where the two Arecas sit.

Arrays over two controllers, is this really supported?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:26 am 

Hi Martin,

No i am getting BSOD because of the Storage driver (the system is not OC'ed during installation) 1.35v its very RAM dependent which is why i am going to replace the ram, but the kind of ram i want isn't available to me locally.

multiple controllers - it certainly is... have a look at www.thessdreview.com there they use 3 controllers

Henrik

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:06 pm 

pavka wrote:
Yes, screenshot show batch rendering autopano only.

When prestiching (preview) on HIGH settings there is 100% cpu almost all the time.. all cores.

Anyway... still not fast enough :-)

HansKeesom wrote:
Looking nice Pavka, is autopano using all cores here?

I try to have batch rendering done while I am not behind the machine, at night or while on a job.

About preview, do you have GPU rendering turned off (because of the speed of your CPU)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:47 am 

Meanwhile I have been working a few weeks on my new machine, that has a x79 saubertooth motherboard with a i7-3930K running at a 33 multiplier.

Initially with 32 GB but since today with 64 GB. Memory was often close to 32 GB so I felt it might help adding another 32 GB. And for 220 euro you can't really go wrong of course.

Below I will add my experiences. They all are about previewing panoramas in the editor. Rendering is not something I worry about much.

- The machine's bottleneck now is the CPU and the GPU and their communication. Loading projects from SSD was already fast and I don't see much pagefile I/O anymore. CPU and GPU are not running at 100% though. It used to be that they both were at 70%, now the CPU seems to be a busier (hitting 100% more often) and the GPU a few % less. I assume the % below 100% are partly caused by the 128 bit transfer of data between RAM and GPU-memory.

-Maybe unrelated, but by changing the cachedivision-setting from auto to 24 MB I am able to work on two panoramas in editor at the same time, where I had a lot of problems/chrashes lately. Keeping it on auto while having 64 GB still gives crashes so it seems like the settings is the positive factor.

{Edit 22-june2013]
Running for a week with an extra 32 GB, totall of 64 GB. Mixed feelings.

32 GB does not cost much and certainly gives you the ability to load more stuff into memory without heavy pagefile I/O. So that is a good thing. It also means I can load more panoramas into their editor and start a preview run to see how they might look after rendering.

There seems however no speed difference going on. Problably this is because I already had a PCI-SSD in use for the temp-directory and pagefile. So not much to gain anymore.

I run preview sometimes with GPU processing, sometimes without.
With GPU processing and compatibility for old graphics cards, I notice a 99/46% CPU/GPu processing percentage.
With GPU processing without compatibility for old graphics cards, I see a 80/70% CPU/GPu processing percentage.
Without GPU processing the CPu runs on 100% again.
I have no times for how long previewing takes in these cases. Too long it is anyhow. I often go away from the computer to do something else. The good thing of 64 GB is I can bundle more editors together to do their preview so stay away longer each time.

Geekbench is telling me it is on 17004 http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/2186831

Problably a new GPU will make the GPU processing without compatibility for old graphics cards the fastest overall option. looking already for the GTX Titan. 4 times as expensive as adding 32 GB but hopefully of more influence to the speed of preview.

Last edited by HansKeesom on Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:53 pm 

Just to make this thread continues and hopefully usefull to others, I did buy the titan..... conclusion : I shouldn't have
Yes it does speed up things, but for the moment APG is not great in profiting from it. One can wonder whether spending 969 on other gear would have helped more.
The computer does feel faster in general, everything pops on the screen but it feels like the Titan is much more GPU then my poor i7-3930 can ever keep up with in combination with APG. The CPU is now the bottleneck.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=21389

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:56 pm 

HansKeesom wrote:
Just to make this thread continues and hopefully usefull to others, I did buy the titan..... conclusion : I shouldn't have
Yes it does speed up things, but for the moment APG is not great in profiting from it. One can wonder whether spending 969 on other gear would have helped more.
The computer does feel faster in general, everything pops on the screen but it feels like the Titan is much more GPU then my poor i7-3930 can ever keep up with in combination with APG. The CPU is now the bottleneck.

Next week i can test the new MacPro for a full day. I´ll give the 2 x 6 GB graphic a try . . :cool:

best, Klaus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:46 pm 

klausesser wrote:
HansKeesom wrote:

Next week i can test the new MacPro for a full day. I´ll give the 2 x 6 GB graphic a try . . :cool:

best, Klaus

waste of time. only 6GB/one Card will be used by kolor software.
Georg

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:49 pm 

klaus,
Can you run the PTGui Speedtest please?
All the best
Henrik

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:51 pm 

gkaefer wrote:
klausesser wrote:
HansKeesom wrote:

best, Klaus

waste of time. only 6GB/one Card will be used by kolor software.
Georg

They work like one card - very fast transfer . . . but i know what you mean . . :cool: "even" 6GB video RAM is definitely nice already . . . :p

Klaus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:52 pm 

tived wrote:
klaus,
Can you run the PTGui Speedtest please?
All the best
Henrik

Jep - i´ll do!

best, Klaus

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next