Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:11 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:32 am 

That's similar to my system

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:23 pm 

dhoomdon wrote:
the GPU will only speed up the previews of the panos, not the rendering. Having the temp drive on a SSD is great if you are shooting raw images and for blending images larger than your RAM. The RAM upgrade will help the most.
[url=motorola xpr 455]motorola xpr 4550[/url]

Now that APG 3 is in alpha I had some time with the preview function. Great change in my workflow. I can now really prepare everything interactively and have the system render only once for a perfect result. Als rendering runs when I am away from the computer, there is not need to be really fast.

However, doing things more interactively by using the preview also means waiting a lot for the preview to finish. As I understand it, the preview uses the GPU a lot.. I know I have only a simple one an ATI RADEON HD 4600 series. I am willing to replace it if is speeds up the interactive part of the proces.

Any ideas for a good GPU that works great with AGP 3.0?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:48 pm 

I'm not sure how much a "better" GPU helps the AGP3.0.0 preview. I have a GTX570 and previews are OK but not that fast. GPU utilisation is never above 5% and my GPU monitor shows not a lot of the processing engines are being utilised.

I've 1GB of VRAM which is fairly typical. I wonder whether the system is constrained by CPU/GPU memory bandwidth... I've had this experience with other imaging apps that leverage GPU's.

it opccurs to me I should run some tests with GPU disabled to see how 12core CPU @ 4.2GHz does in comparison. I'm not complaining about performance, I just note a pretty ordinary GPU is not the obvious constraint on speed....

cheers

Rod

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:41 pm 

Hi Rod,

Interesting to hear

In case you work with MSWindows what programm do you use to tell you the GPU %

kind regards,

Hans

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:58 pm 

Finally installed a PCIe SSD, the revodrive3 with 111 GB. Instead of having pagefile and first tempdirectories on a sata-ssd they are now on the PCIe-SSD

First impressions are very possitive, rendering time is almost half and machine feels more responsive, with less "almost hanging" where I have to wait for the machine to respond to me.
Further testing to be done but this was 212 euro very well spend. Working on a 70 panorama project it will earn itself back in no time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:35 am 

Congrats Hans,

I had that idea a few years ago, having two REVO PCIe in the system one for OS and one for Temp, but there was incompatibilities with my board so it was a NO go.

I have just added a Areca 1882ix 24 channel to my system and trying to work out how best to configure the system for the best performance... slightly frustrating process and slow :-)

for EU$212 is a very good price, do you know if you are able to boot from it? should you choose to do so?

Henrik

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:17 am 

yes you can boot from them, but I did not install it as such as I don't see the point of waisting that space on OS. OS when it is running does not need a lot of I/O

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:05 pm 

Experience since friday evening is that my CPU is hitting 100% more often and for longer periods. Disk I/O looks like doubled and rendering time 50% of what it was. I think we have ourselve a no brainer here : if you can't expand memory anymore and CPU is not often close to 100%, have a look at PCEi-SSD's for tempfiles and pagefile

Last edited by HansKeesom on Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:56 pm 

Why not go for this 85 euro one( http://www.mycom.nl/Product/Beeld-Videokaart/Sapphire-Radeon-HD6570,4GB/1363981 )?
It is sure gonna be faster then the 4650 I have and the 4 GB should be great. Using crossfire I could even combine a few of them.

Anyone why I should absolutely not try this card. I mean it is only 85 euro ;-)

list of other 4 GB cards
http://www.mycom.nl/Productgroep/Videokaart/24598
at the right select 4GB for Graphic adapter memory

Last edited by HansKeesom on Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:01 pm 

Hi Hans

I wonder about this prize! Untill I saw the real tech specs of this Sapphire-card: "only" 512 MB GDDR5 from Elpida
So this informations from mycom.nl must be wrong. The original AMD-card goes up to 2 GB GDDR3 or 1 GB GDDR5.
http://www.amd.com/de/products/desktop/graphics/amd-radeon-hd-6000/hd-6570/Pages/amd-radeon-hd-6570-overview.aspx#2

With 512 MB this card isn't up to date. And I'm not shure about APG, whether the support already SLI/CrossFire GPU combinations ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:45 pm 

it says 4 GB on the box and in the specs.

So from your first ! I can conclude you agree it is not a bad deal and for that price worth to try and see if it works? If not, only 85 euro gone ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:03 am 

Hans, it does have 4gb but it's slow and only 128bit - so yes it can fill up to 4 gb of video data but you get what you pay for

Henrik

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:51 am 

Hi Hans
I think it is worth to try out this. APG don't need as fast graphic memory as a 3D-game does.
But if you can load much of a pano direct in the grafic memory, it should speed up the work.

Try it out and let us know ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:04 am 

BUT ONLY FOR PREVIEW !!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:18 am 

yes only for preview but that is when I am behind the computer. Other tasks are done while I am away and are allowed to be slow.

For 85 euro it is worth the gamble and if it works others will profit from this knowledge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:44 am 

Go get it tiger :-) you are right it's only $85

Let us know
Thanks

Henrik

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:23 pm 

Thanks Henrik,

Nice to know that though you have a big machine you can still appreciate the small things in (computer)life ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:15 pm 

Sorry just trying to help

Henrik

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:17 pm 

Hihi, I hope you saw the smiley ;-) Your confirmation is much appreciated at this side.

Last edited by HansKeesom on Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:42 pm 

Oeps......installed the card, it has OpenGL according to GPU-Z but.... o well, was worth to try

anyone any ideas

Last edited by HansKeesom on Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:26 pm 

HansKeesom wrote:
Oeps......installed the card, it has OpenGL according to GPU-Z but.... o well, was worth to try

anyone any ideas

... and did you install some drivers too :D ?
(Im using a quiet old NVIDEA GTX260 and working nearly perfect - just not using the most recent drivers - just the second newest driver does work... so I think all 1-3 years old NVIDEA's finally should work...)
Georg

Last edited by gkaefer on Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:26 am 

A restart after lot of installing did the trick. Things seem to work fine. Not so much faster but I am now able to have two editors open and switch to the other while one is rendering its preview.....nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:06 am 

For 85 €! Very nice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:46 am 

Absolutely. this seems like a cheap way to get a card with some GB's and decent performance.

Doing 48 RAW files per pano, I can now do most of editing and correction of about 4 to 5 panorama's an hour. That is of course without loading, detection and rendering. 15 minutes per pano spent behind the computer is much better then it used to be :-) It used to be that I just did not use the GPU...

Below is a picture of my screen while preview rendering two panoramas. The GPU memory is well used, the GPU itself not as much as I hoped for. maybe it is because lots of data still needs to be loaded from the temp-directories into GPU memory. Hard to say where the bottleneck is now.
In the resource monitor the processes are sorted from high % to low, the disk I/O from hight total bytes to low. Pagefile is rarely going over 10 MB/sec so not really high. Actually during editing or rendering for preview none of the normal indicators seem to go up very high...are there tools to find out about other botlenecks...

Last edited by HansKeesom on Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:38 am 

Hans,

what did it use to be, how long did it use to take you before, what benefit are you seeing?

I am interest in how two GPU's will affect the performance of working the pano's - i currently have an ASUS 580GTX - 1.5GB

Henrik

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next