Why Autopano is working very well for me  

This forum is dedicated to Autopano Pro / Giga bug reports and features discussion.
Please read the posting rules before starting a topic!
no avatar
HansKeesom

Topic author
Liked in: 2 posts
Info

Why Autopano is working very well for me

by HansKeesom » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:07 pm

33 pano's being generated while I am asleep ;-)

Regards, Hans Keesom
I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.

no avatar
HansKeesom

Topic author
Info

by HansKeesom » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:31 am

Received the photos yesterday evening aournd 21:00 and after a good night sleep, in less then 12 hours, the first rough result is already there.
http://hanskeesom.xs4all.nl/panoramas/dam/

Yes, still need to do a lot of corrections......

This is what autopano is about : production!! Shoot it on one day, show first results the next day.
Regards, Hans Keesom
I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.

no avatar
lumelix

Liked in: 0 post
Info

by lumelix » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:48 am

Next idea:
Why not transfer the images via WLAN to a powerfull notebook and create the panos REALTIME on location.
Then you can see potential problems and fix them just in time.
One click -> send them to the customer and bill him via paypal ?
After that, at home while sleeping, you can dream about a lot of money ;)
Regards
Martin

no avatar
HansKeesom

Topic author
Info

by HansKeesom » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:12 pm

Now doing 69 pano's in one batch. Do need to clean up temp space all the time though....

Using a notebook on location. Well I am using a 16 GB i7 machine at the moment. To have something like that in notebook shape might turn out a bit costly and still not fast enough.
Regards, Hans Keesom

no avatar
HansKeesom

Topic author
Info

by HansKeesom » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:18 pm

5600 euro to be exact ;-)
Regards, Hans Keesom

no avatar
lumelix

Info

by lumelix » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:59 pm

Hi Hans
No, there are a lot of laptops with i7 QM and 16 GB RAM for less than this.
Eg. the first one (Acer Aspire V3 771G for CHF 1399.-) have 120GB SSD and 750 GB HD plus 2GB grafic card!
Sorry, Swiss Francs. But it's near the same than € ;)

Last edited by lumelix on Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
Martin

no avatar
HansKeesom

Topic author
Info

by HansKeesom » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:19 pm

hmmmm when I was working in CH I would save that in a month...long time and many crisesses ago....
Regards, Hans Keesom

no avatar
lumelix

Info

by lumelix » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:42 pm

HansKeesom wrote:hmmmm when I was working in CH I would save that in a month...long time and many crisesses ago....

:D:D:D
Regards
Martin

[bo]

Info

by [bo] » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:12 am

A friend in the States not long ago got this one for field work (on sale in a local shop, $100 cheaper): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230406 - he's happy with that config and it certainly is good value.
Some of my panoramas, posted in the Autopano Pro flickr group.

no avatar
HansKeesom

Topic author
Info

by HansKeesom » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:53 pm

Hi Bo,

Looks like a great machine, certainly because of the 3 GB of GPU memory and the SSD. It would certainly allow for shoot by day and process by night, show next day setup. Or for on the spot processing if customer really want that. not sure if many customers despreately want to see the result the same day ..
Regards, Hans Keesom

no avatar
lumelix

Info

by lumelix » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:54 pm

They want sometimes. But you should not!
Because then, your customer have no idea whats behind all this work.
Regards
Martin

no avatar
HansKeesom

Topic author
Info

by HansKeesom » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:53 pm

Martin,
Absolutely true, except for the fact that I would say "your customer then gets the idea it is really simple and I can't ask my normal price anymore"

;-)
Regards, Hans Keesom

no avatar
tived

Info

by tived » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:26 am

I would have to agree with Hans, it devalues your product - they see you click a few bottons and voila there is your pano... they do not think about how long its taken to get to this stage. Then something goes wrong, one you look incompetent.

One reason why i could be good to have this option for yourself is to check that you have a good stitch and that its all covered - but not to show to the client. I occasionally use a Sony Z-series i7 8GB 2xSSD intel GPU internally, with extra battery so i can be using it for 7-9 hours with the peddle to the metal ;-)

Power is vital - you could be somewhere where you can't plug in your 17in beast of a computer and you will be luck it will last you an hour processing on battery. Also my Sony-Z with out the extra battery is 1.1Kg 13.3in screen full HD 1920x....??

Being mobile to me is important, and i know that my solution isn't as mobile - light weight. YMMV

:-)

no avatar
HansKeesom

Topic author
Info

by HansKeesom » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:24 am

Hi Dane,

Yes indeed, some customers already say their nephew can make panoramas with hs iPhone.....

In regards of a notebook, for me it is more a workstation from which I can control, by teamveaver or remote desktop, the big machine. Upgrading that big machine turnes out to be cheaper. Still I would like to have a machine for editing and a machine for detection and rendering, so a heavier second machine would be nice. Wheather that should be a laptop or a regular PC.....costs send me to the latter. Have a superfast editing machine with PCI-E SSD's only and a real fast GPU with big memory seems like the way to go.

Anyhow, just found this baby

http://www.ep.nl/computer_en_telefonie/notebooks_en_ultrabooks/notebooks_en_ultrabooks_item/categorie/notebooks/t/toshiba_qosmio_x870_119_notebook

2300 euro is a lot of money but with the possibility to upgrade to 32 GB of ram, with 3 GB GPU and appearantly the possibility to play 3D movies.....
It is a complete workstatin/workhorse/multimediamachine....and is it so much more expensive then a superfast editing machine as I described above?
Last edited by HansKeesom on Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, Hans Keesom

no avatar
HansKeesom

Topic author
Info

by HansKeesom » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:17 am

tived wrote:I would have to agree with Hans, it devalues your product - they see you click a few bottons and voila there is your pano... they do not think about how long its taken to get to this stage. Then something goes wrong, one you look incompetent.

One reason why i could be good to have this option for yourself is to check that you have a good stitch and that its all covered - but not to show to the client. I occasionally use a Sony Z-series i7 8GB 2xSSD intel GPU internally, with extra battery so i can be using it for 7-9 hours with the peddle to the metal ;-)

Power is vital - you could be somewhere where you can't plug in your 17in beast of a computer and you will be luck it will last you an hour processing on battery. Also my Sony-Z with out the extra battery is 1.1Kg 13.3in screen full HD 1920x....??

Being mobile to me is important, and i know that my solution isn't as mobile - light weight. YMMV

:-)

hi Henrik,

I have been testing with shooting JPG+RAW. JPG can then be processed on my laptop while RAW is being sent to my workstation at home. After getting a good stitch I transfer the pano files also, replace .jpg with .CR2 in them and reload the pano's on the workstation. Works good so far.
Regards, Hans Keesom