Adding "fake" sky to a gigapixel panorama  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Pro / Giga problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
Zurich.Gigapixel

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Adding "fake" sky to a gigapixel panorama

by Zurich.Gigapixel » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:50 pm

Hi

I'm talking about this picture: http://www.360cities.net/london-photo-en.html

I guess (and please correct me if I'm wrong) they shot a high resolution image of the city and then put a lower resolution image of the sky on top of it.
IMHO they didn't shot the sky the same way they shot the city, this would have been total madness.

If what I'm guessing is right: How did they do it?
Btw: They used an 400mm lens for city.

Thanks for any help in advance ;)

a a gruntpuddock

Info

by a a gruntpuddock » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:05 pm

Doesn't look like they merged two separate shots, there would be some atrifacts.

They might have shot the city very carefully using a long focal length then shot the sky at wide angle to get it done quickly, then used all the shots to create a single pano.

UPDATE

Wrong, as usual!

http://blog.360cities.net/london-gigapixel-faq/
Last edited by a a gruntpuddock on Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A sophistical rhetorician, inebriated with the exuberance of his own verbosity, and gifted with an egotistical imagination that can at all times command an interminable and inconsistent series of arguments to malign an opponent and to glorify himself.

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Liked in: 10 posts
Info

by AlexandreJ » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:05 pm

Photoshoping by part was the solution.
In fact, it was 4 panoramas blended together in photoshop.
They had a giant hardware with 192G RAM ... it helped for that task.

no avatar
gddxb

Info

by gddxb » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:37 pm

I'm confused.

Was the London 80GP image shot at full resolution for the whole sphere or not?

no avatar
Zurich.Gigapixel

Topic author
Info

by Zurich.Gigapixel » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:40 pm

gddxb wrote:Was the London 80GP image shot at full resolution for the whole sphere or not?

IMHO atleast I don't think they did the sky with the same 400mm lens...
The sky would look totally different I think...

no avatar
Zurich.Gigapixel

Topic author
Info

by Zurich.Gigapixel » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:56 pm

AlexandreJ wrote:They had a giant hardware with 192G RAM ... it helped for that task.

...christmas is still far away :(

a a gruntpuddock wrote:They might have shot the city very carefully using a long focal length then shot the sky at wide angle to get it done quickly, then used all the shots to create a single pano.

Would that be possible?
Is it possible to make a gigapixel panorama with 400mm and then add the sky which was shot with (lets say) 50mm?
And load that whole thing into autopano? I don't see how this would work, especially if you're using the gigapan importer or an xml-File...

Is that theoretically possible to do?
Last edited by Zurich.Gigapixel on Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gkaefer

Liked in: 15 posts
Info

by gkaefer » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:46 pm

Zurich.Gigapixel wrote:
AlexandreJ wrote:They had a giant hardware with 192G RAM ... it helped for that task.

...christmas is still far away :(

a a gruntpuddock wrote:They might have shot the city very carefully using a long focal length then shot the sky at wide angle to get it done quickly, then used all the shots to create a single pano.

Would that be possible?
Is it possible to make a gigapixel panorama with 400mm and then add the sky which was shot with (lets say) 50mm?
And load that whole thing into autopano? I don't see how this would work, especially if you're using the gigapan importer or an xml-File...

Is that theoretically possible to do?

it works. different focals with up to 1:4 can be combined (only dont mix fisheye and non fisheye images), so every focal is organized in autopano in a seperate group, you than get for each group a pano. each pano using photoshop & co to alpha layer & make transparent the part you dont wanns see. than blend it in PS or even take the alpha layerd panos and load them to autopano again... and make the final pano...
So 20mm, 55mm, 80mm and 200mm and 400mm can be combined in this way...
Georg
Last edited by gkaefer on Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
doc

Info

by doc » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:47 pm

Zurich.Gigapixel wrote:Is it possible to make a gigapixel panorama with 400mm and then add the sky which was shot with (lets say) 50mm?

This is one of the things I've always loved about AutoPano - the ability to merge shots of different focal lengths. There's been some bugs doing it over the years, but recent versions seem to work well.

For all of my shots I always shoot at 400mm for the main shoot, but the do the extremes (water, sky, etc) at either100mm or 200mm - often even changing from portrate to landscape at the same time.

This does mean that you end up with extrapolation (and thus lower quality) for the areas only covered by the 100mm, but given that we're talking sky, who cares!

http://www.docbert.org/SydneyByNight/ is an example of doing this going back over 6 years.
Last edited by doc on Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.