Facebook 3x2 Cubemap Playback  

Share your tips, tricks or get help with using GoPro VR Player!
AndrewHazelden

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Facebook 3x2 Cubemap Playback

by AndrewHazelden » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:18 pm

Hi. I noticed the GoPro Player v2.3.1 release recently added Facebook 3x2 style Cubemap playback support.

The Input > Projection > Auto menu doesn't seem to detect the Facebook Cubemap 3x2 layout's 1.5 aspect ratio correctly on my macOS Sierra system.

GoPro-VR-Player-Input-Projection-Auto.png
"Auto" Input Projection Menu item

This means I have to hit the Control+Option+3 hotkey when I load in cubic footage to switch from Equirectangular to the Cubemap image projection mode.

GoPro-VR-Player-Input-Projection-Cubemap.png
"Cubemap" Input Projection Menu item

Is there a GoPro Player command line flag that can be used to automatically enable the Cubemap image projection option at the same time as images are loaded in GoPro Player from an external tool?

I've looked over the following documentation page but don't see any options that would allow this:
http://www.kolor.com/wiki-en/action/view/GoPro_VR_Player_-_Command_lines

Also, is there a new JSON tag that would allow a Kolor Eyes .kepl playlist to define the Cubemap vs Equirectangular image projection setting for each item?

http://www.kolor.com/wiki-en/action/view/GoPro_VR_Player_-_Playlist#File_playlist_.kepl

The reason I am asking these questions is I am the developer of an Autodesk Maya based panoramic renderer called PlayblastVR and it has a shelf tool that lets you send your latest renderings to GoPro Player in a single click. PlayblastVR supports rendering images to 18 image projections including Equirectangular and Facebook Cubmap 3x2 output so being able to define the image projection when footage is sent to GoPro Player would be handy.

Regards,
Andrew Hazelden
PlayblastVR Developer

lmartin
Kolor Team

Liked in: 7 posts
Info

Re: Facebook 3x2 Cubemap Playback

by lmartin » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:45 pm

Projection "Auto" relies on video's metadata, so it seems that they are not included or not well formatted in your video.
Indeed, it would nice to be able to set the video's projection in the playlist file kepl.
I add this feature to our backlog.
Thank you for your feedback.

AndrewHazelden

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

by AndrewHazelden » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:15 pm

lmartin wrote:Projection "Auto" relies on video's metadata, so it seems that they are not included or not well formatted in your video.
Indeed, it would nice to be able to set the video's projection in the playlist file kepl.
I add this feature to our backlog.
Thank you for your feedback.

Hi. Thanks for your reply.

Regarding the "auto" mode. I am unaware of a cubic metadata format tag that is standardized at the moment. Do you have more information on how GoPro VR Player "auto" detects a Facebook 3x2 cubic movie format?

benji33
Kolor Team

Liked in: 166 posts
Info

by benji33 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:21 pm

The video projection as property into the playlist file kepl will be applied on the next 3.0.0 version.

lmartin
Kolor Team

Liked in: 7 posts
Info

by lmartin » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:48 am

Metadata detection is based on Google spherical video specification : https://github.com/google/spatial-media