Panotour Viewer Problem   [SOLVED] - View the solution

Have a problem using Panotour Viewer? Have you encountered a bug that needs fixing? Please post it here.
Des difficultés à utiliser Panotour Viewer ? Avez-vous découvert un bug qui doit être fixé? Postez les ici.
no avatar
Picturesman14

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Panotour Viewer Problem

by Picturesman14 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:50 am

I have downloaded the Autopano Pro trial version. I have created a 360 panorama as a Jpeg file, and I am now trying to open this in the Panotour Viewer for MAC. Whenever I try to do this the Panotour Viewer says the file is an 'Invalid PTV file'. I am trying to decide which software programme to buy, either Autopano or PTGui Pro, so I must resolve this problem. Can you advise ?.

Annis
Kolor Team

Liked in: 444 posts
Info

Re: Panotour Viewer Problem

by Annis » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:54 am

Helo and welcome to the forum,

Panotour Viewer opens PTV files, not image files.

Autopano Pro stitches images, (PTGui too for that matter), it doesn't create virtual tours.
What are you looking to do exactly?

no avatar
Picturesman14

Topic author
Info

by Picturesman14 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:04 am

Hi. I am trying to create a 360 degree interactive image, using a flat panorama and viewing with your Panotour Viewer.

no avatar
Picturesman14

Topic author
Info

by Picturesman14 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:26 am

Hi Annis. You say that Autopano Pro doesn't create virtual tours. Am I wrong in thinking that it doesn't create 360 degree interactive images ?. For example if I shoot an interior using a fisheye lens. I take six pictures, covering every angle of the space. I then stitch these pictures together and turn them into an interactive image. I can then get a 360 degree view of this interior, and I can interact with the image looking left or right, up or down, and see right around the space. I need to clarify if this is possible with any of your software ?

no avatar
Destiny

Liked in: 228 posts
Info

by Destiny » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:56 am

Hi. APG stitches your images to create a pano image or other images made up from multiple images. PT or PTP showcase your pano or image as an interactive image.. APG does not.. PTV, showcases your interactive full 'panoramic image' ONLY as a Stand-A-Loan media without the need for the internet..

Destiny..

Annis
Kolor Team

Info

by Annis » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:58 am

Once you've stitched the photos into a panorama, your result is the 360 image, but flat. That's 'all' Autopano does: stitch images to make panoramas.

To view it interactively, being able to look up, down, left and right without distortions, it has to be projected in a specific viewer, which you can do as a virtual tour but that requires separate software: Panotour or Panotour Pro.

With Panotour you can create a file that can be viewed in Panotour Viewer and/or upload the virtual tour itself on your website to display it.

no avatar
Picturesman14

Topic author
Info

by Picturesman14 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:00 pm

Hi Annis
Thanks for that. I have now looked at Panotour, but can only find tutorials that deal with creating a virtual tour. Are there any tutorials which show how to create just the 360 degree interactive view ?

Annis
Kolor Team

Info

by Annis » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:20 pm

You can't have a 360 degree interactive view without a viewer, which is what the virtual tour is for.
Without a viewer, you will only have a flat image.

How are you planning on sharing the image? On a website? Facebook?

no avatar
Picturesman14

Topic author
Info

by Picturesman14 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:34 pm

Hi Annis
I did create a panorama out of 4 photographs in Autopano Pro. I then tried to open this in Panotour Viewer. That's when it said 'Invalid PTV File' and stopped me viewing the panorama as a 360 interactive view. Is that a problem with the file format, or something else I have missed out doing ?.

Annis
Kolor Team

Info

Re: Panotour Viewer Problem  [SOLVED]

by Annis » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:13 pm

Panotour Viewer can only display PTV files, as I've explained in my first post. It displays built virtual tours, not images.

Without a viewer, your panorama stays flat. It is just a plain, flat, image file.

So, I repeat, how are you wanting to share this panorama? On your website, on Facebook? Offline? Just to family and friends on your computer?

Several options are available to you once you have your generated panorama, but I can't advise you unless you tell me what you are looking to do with your panorama, and where you want it to be interactive.

For example, if you want to display it on your website, you need to make it a virtual tour. To do so:
    1. Download Panotour (or Panotour Pro, either)
    2. Drag and drop your jpg into the tour tab's workspace
    3. Switch to the Build tab, set a location on your computer to build, and set a filename (generally "index" is used.
    4. Click on build (or ctrl+b)
    5. Wait for the build to finish, and click on the green play button or ctrl+R and it'll open the tour in your browser.

Now you have a(n extremely basic one panorama) virtual tour, which is your panorama projected in a viewer, so it is interactive. If you want to display that virtual tour in Panotour Viewer, follow the next steps:

1. Now close the tab in the browser.
    2. Back in Panotour, in the build tab, go to the very bottom and check "export to PTV file", and build.
    3. Wait for the build to finish, and go to Edit > Open last exported project directory. You'll see three files: a folder called YOURTOURdata, an html file called YOURTOUR.html and a ptv file called YOURTOUR.ptv. (YOURTOUR will be the filename you set in the build tab)
    4. Double click on the ptv file to open it in Panotour Viewer.

If you just want to share it on facebook, then drag and drop the image into facebook, because they now support projecting 360 images in the last two months, and include their own viewer.

If you just want to check your panorama on your computer, if it is a full 360x180° then you could just use GoPro VR Player (but this only works for desktop computers, not online or on mobiles).

no avatar
Picturesman14

Topic author
Info

by Picturesman14 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:02 pm

Hi Annis.
Thanks for that, I'm making some progress now. I have got as far as "export to PTV file", and build. However when I get to 'Edit' on the top navigation bar and do 'Open last exported project directory', the only files I see are :

360 TEST PIC.html
360 TEST PICdata
360 TEST.2.html
360 TEST.2data
Index.1.html
Index.1.ptv
Index.1data

no avatar
Picturesman14

Topic author
Info

by Picturesman14 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:03 pm

Hi Annis
To answer your other question. I will be supplying these panoramas to clients to show on their web sites and on their own clients mobiles

Annis
Kolor Team

Info

by Annis » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:33 am

Picturesman14 wrote:Hi Annis.
Thanks for that, I'm making some progress now. I have got as far as "export to PTV file", and build. However when I get to 'Edit' on the top navigation bar and do 'Open last exported project directory', the only files I see are :

360 TEST PIC.html
360 TEST PICdata
360 TEST.2.html
360 TEST.2data
Index.1.html
>> Index.1.ptv <<
Index.1data

You should avoid dots in file names, that can cause issues. If you want to replace the space, use a _ or - instead of .
And the ptv is there, I've highlighted it in your list.

Annis
Kolor Team

Info

by Annis » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:42 am

Picturesman14 wrote:Hi Annis
To answer your other question. I will be supplying these panoramas to clients to show on their web sites and on their own clients mobiles

Okay then in that case you definitely need to a make a virtual tour, so you need Panotour or Panotour Pro ( one offers many more customisation features, see comparative chart here: http://www.kolor.com/panotour/panotour- ... ures-table ).

To stick with our example, now that you have a basic virtual tour, what you would be sending to your clients would be the html file and data folder with all it's content. It'll be up to your client to host it on their web server unless you want to offer hosting as part of your services.

So in the test tour I made you build (I see that you actually built 3, you should create a new folder for each tour so that they don't end up overlapping and getting mixed up), you should be sending:
Kolor Forums  Autopano, Panotour & Autopano Video Help • View topic - Panotour Viewer Problem - Google Chrome.png
Kolor Forums Autopano, Panotour & Autopano Video Help • View topic - Panotour Viewer Problem - Google Chrome.png (12.14 KiB) Viewed 8620 times

Now you just need to work on adding more content to your tour than just one panorama, you can add navigation, hotspots, an interface, a control bar...

Virtual tours will work both on desktop and computers; however PTV is just a testing tool it isn't a commercial tool for your clients. If you want a virtual tour offline on a mobile, you need to create an app and we do create apps.

no avatar
Picturesman14

Topic author
Info

by Picturesman14 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:09 am

Hi Annis
I have the 'Index.1.ptv' with the Panotour logo file, but then when I double click and open it I get the Panotour Viewer. Then I get the same problem as before. The drag and drop files option doesn't work as it says the file is an 'Invalid PTV File', or if I go for the 'Open Files' option, and I go to my desktop, then the Jpeg File is not active so can't be opened. So I am back to where I began ?

Annis
Kolor Team

Info

by Annis » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:16 am

Try renaming the file to something without a . in the filname, which should only be used in filenames to delimit file extensions. As I've said, it can cause issues.

no avatar
Picturesman14

Topic author
Info

by Picturesman14 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:35 am

Hi Annis
I have tried re-naming the Jpeg File created on my desktop removing any .'s, but get exactly the same problem as before. Does the Panotour Viewer convert the Jpeg File into a PTV File to open it ?, as I cannot see any PTV Files anywhere ?.

Annis
Kolor Team

Info

by Annis » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:50 am

No, no.
The PTV file you created, "index.1.ptv". That's what you have to input into PTViewer. The one that have a PTV logo as you noticed yourself.

Because you added a . in the name, that could be preventing it from opening in PTViewer, because that isn't a good way to name a file and can cause issues in many software, including apparently PTViewer. Rename the tour anything you want in Panotour, then rebuild. If you want to call it index 1, call it "index_1" or "index-1". The resulting file will be called index_1.ptv or index-1.ptv.

The JPG file CAN NOT be read in PTViewer.
PTViewer ONLY opens PTV files, it doesn't convert anything. A .jpg file is not a .ptv file.
PTV files are only created from Panotour or Panotour Pro.

no avatar
Picturesman14

Topic author
Info

by Picturesman14 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:07 am

It appears that a PTV File has not been created in the 'Build' part of the process. I have searched my MAC for such a file and can't find any. So have I got everything correct in the 'Build' page. I have ;

1. Folder : /Users/chrissharp/Pictures
2. Filename : Index.1
3. Target, 'Enable flash fallback' is ticked
4. HTML Template : fullpage.html
5. Tiles - 'Generation Method' is on 'Default' and 'Use multiresolution' is ticked. 'Jpeg Quality' is set at 9
6. 'Protection' 'Insert comments in XML code' is ticked
7. 'Panotour Viewer' 'Export to PTV file' is ticked

Annis
Kolor Team

Info

by Annis » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:37 pm

Please change the filename, do not use dots in a file name.

You already had a ptv but with an invalid name (interpreted by the system as a .1.ptv file format which is wrong).

Your build settings are correct, your PTV is located in the same folder as the rest of the tour, as I explained in my previous post:
Annis wrote:If you want to display that virtual tour in Panotour Viewer, follow the next steps:

1. Now close the tab in the browser.
  2. Back in Panotour, in the build tab, go to the very bottom and check "export to PTV file", and build.
  3. Wait for the build to finish, and go to Edit > Open last exported project directory. You'll see three files: a folder called YOURTOURdata, an html file called YOURTOUR.html and a ptv file called YOURTOUR.ptv. (YOURTOUR will be the filename you set in the build tab)
  4. Double click on the ptv file to open it in Panotour Viewer.

In your case the files are index.1data folder index.1.html and index.1.ptv but "index.1" is not a proper file name!

no avatar
Picturesman14

Topic author
Info

by Picturesman14 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:53 pm

Hi Annis
I have finally got it, so have been able now to open the PTV file in the viewer. Am I correct in thinking that if I subscribe to Autopano software that I cannot use photoshop to manipulate the pictures as well ?.

Also is there a way to reduce the distortion further from a PTV file ?. To explain I used a 8mm fish eye lens to shoot the original pictures which were stitched together.

Many thanks

Annis
Kolor Team

Info

by Annis » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:01 pm

You can, technically, use Photoshop to edit the panoramas after stitching, however, because Photoshop is not aware that the two edges of your panorama are meant to meet, you can end up with a very visible line once the panorama is used in a virtual tour.
So you'd have to be very careful in your edits, and there will be a lot of trial and error until you can find edits that suit you that won't pose a problem with the edges of the panorama.

What distortions exactly? Can you show me a screenshot?

no avatar
Picturesman14

Topic author
Info

by Picturesman14 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:23 pm

Thanks for the advice about photoshop. The distortions I mean are things like the way the sofa is stretched out in the screen grab.[ To follow ]

Thanks

no avatar
Picturesman14

Topic author
Info

by Picturesman14 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:27 pm

Please see screen grab.
Thanks
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-09-07 at 15.19.43.png
See screen grab

Annis
Kolor Team

Info

by Annis » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:51 pm

There will always be a minimum of distortion due to the projection, the scene will only be it's "real" self in the center of the viewer.
You can however minimise the distortions by lowering the field of view (meaning, zoom in!).

If you want to set a lower fov by default for your panorama, you need to set that in Panotour.
In the tour tab, select the scene.
On the right hand side the scene properties will show.
Scroll down to the "View" tab and zoom into the preview window or input a new fov in the fov field. Click on the "Set default view" button to set the new default view.

PrtScr_23.png

Then of course rebuild to apply your changes to the tour.

Next