Manual Exposure 360° Video Documentation  

Suggestions for our documentation.
Suggestions pour améliorer la documentation.
no avatar
Sean King

Topic author
Liked in: 4 posts
Info

Manual Exposure 360° Video Documentation

by Sean King » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:03 pm

With the new GoPro firmware, you can set the Manual Exposure of the GoPro cameras.

I have checked the documentation and the APV forums but there is no recommendation on which setting to use.

Is it recommend just to keep Manual Exposure on Auto?

Do all the cameras have to have the same setting in Manual Exposure? Or can I mix and match the Manual Exposure settings?
For example, one camera on 1/50 and another camera on 1/100 and a 3rd on 1/200

I look forward to your feedback.

VAll0U
Kolor Team

Liked in: 0 post
Info

Re: Manual Exposure 360° Video Documentation

by VAll0U » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:42 pm

Hi Sean,

This new parameter is not the manual exposure, this is the shutter speed. The exposure has been here since the beginning, allowing to set it from -2 to +2, for example in a static shot you can set the GoPro that is facing to the sun at -1 EV to not burn the image.
The shutter speed is the time of capturing a frame, so with 1/50 you will have more light coming to the lens than 1/200.
You have to set the same shutter time on the 6 cameras. I advise you to keep that in auto for the most of situations, but for example in a dark situation with a lot of movement, it's good to set a fixed value to the shutter speed to avoid ending up with a blurred video.

no avatar
Sean King

Topic author
Liked in: 4 posts
Info

Re: Manual Exposure 360° Video Documentation

by Sean King » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:55 am

I don’t want to be pedantic, but there seem to be some confusion between the “Manual Exposure” and “EV Comp”

The new parameter IS called Manual Exposure and it controls the shutter speed. At least according to the GoPro app for the Iphone. See screenshots.

And what you called exposure is called “EV Comp” in the GoPro app. Which, as you have said “has been here since the beginning,”

Thank you for clarifying, that when using “Manual Exposure” all the shutter speeds have to be the same on all cameras to make a 360° video.

Maybe add a line in the documentation about “Manual Exposure” to stop future confusion.

Regards,

GoPro_app1.PNG
GoPro_app2.PNG