Documentation offline  

Suggestions for our documentation.
Suggestions pour améliorer la documentation.
no avatar
Guilhem

Topic author
Liked in: 3 posts
Info

Documentation offline

by Guilhem » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:08 pm

Bonjour,
Serait-il possible d'avoir accès à une documentation hors-ligne ? Par exemple un pdf ou un epub par logiciel ?
Quand je suis en voyage (ou dans le pays où je bosse, le débit est médiocre) et il m'est souvent impossible d'y avoir accès. J'avoue que de passer chaque page en pdf serait une solution possible mais fastidieuse et je perdrais les liaisons entre pages.

In english and in "straight" version,
Would it be possible to have the documentation offline in one pdf or epub file for each software ?
While I am travelling, I don't have full time access to internet and to be honest, I don't want to "pdf" all pages (moreover, all links will be broken).
I'm sure (I hope ? :rolleyes: )I'm not the only one in this case

BR

Guilhem

Phrogz likes this post.

klausesser

Liked in: 63 posts
Info

Re: Documentation offline

by klausesser » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:31 pm

Guilhem wrote:Bonjour,
Serait-il possible d'avoir accès à une documentation hors-ligne ? Par exemple un pdf ou un epub par logiciel ?
Quand je suis en voyage (ou dans le pays où je bosse, le débit est médiocre) et il m'est souvent impossible d'y avoir accès. J'avoue que de passer chaque page en pdf serait une solution possible mais fastidieuse et je perdrais les liaisons entre pages.

In english and in "straight" version,
Would it be possible to have the documentation offline in one pdf or epub file for each software ?
While I am travelling, I don't have full time access to internet and to be honest, I don't want to "pdf" all pages (moreover, all links will be broken).
I'm sure (I hope ? :rolleyes: )I'm not the only one in this case

BR

Guilhem

You could open the sites one by one at home and save the content as PDF on your tablet!? Or you make Screenshots from the most important parts and store them on your smartphone. Single items/chapters from others i have as screenshots on the phone too (i very rarely need ALL the content of the handbooks or tutorials).

I have all my handbooks stripped to vital parts as PDFs on my iPhone. More than once that saved me . . . =D :cool:

Klaus

Klaus

no avatar
Guilhem

Topic author
Info

by Guilhem » Mon May 04, 2015 9:29 am

klausesser wrote:You could open the sites one by one at home and save the content as PDF on your tablet!? Or you make Screenshots from the most important parts and store them on your smartphone. Single items/chapters from others i have as screenshots on the phone too (i very rarely need ALL the content of the handbooks or tutorials).

I have all my handbooks stripped to vital parts as PDFs on my iPhone. More than once that saved me . . . =D :cool:

Klaus

Klaus

Yes Klaus, I can do it... But Kolor can issue a pdf/epub documentation as well to avoid that customers have to pdf all single pages of Tutorials (even if we will never use 100% of the full content, I agree with you).

Annis
Kolor Team

Liked in: 443 posts
Info

by Annis » Mon May 04, 2015 10:11 am

We are working on a solution to export as a PDF but it is not at all properly functional at the moment, and will not be available just yet, nor can I offer an ETA for the feature.

If I were to export a PDF for you now:
  1. When exporting, the original page organisation isn't kept, but rather ranked alphabetically, so finding your way in that documentation is difficult.
  2. All the links would still redirect back to the online documentation (so they would have to be removed, making the navigation between the different sections entirely manual, and users don't generally want to search for themselves)
  3. None of the images are formatted correctly, so sometimes the images would go off the page, or come up blank (a perfect example of this is on this page, the images wouldn't fit on an A4 at their current size, and would need an entire A4 for themselves to be barely readable)
  4. None of the videos would work (maybe if you are on a computer with an internet connection) but would otherwise waste space in the PDF
  5. Some parts of the pages would be redundant (bottom of the page Back To: Documentation / ### Documetation which would appear on each page)

There are also drawbacks to exporting the documentation as a PDF:
  • - It wouldn't be up to date for new/changed features
  • - Parts of the documentation (entire sentences or paragraphs rewritten,images changed or updated, page organisation changed, typos & Kolor-English corrected, etc..) are regularly modified to improve readability and comprehension, so you would not have any of these changes in your PDF
  • - Only the user manual part of the ducomentation (for each software) would be made available as a , so that's everything in the leftmost column under "User Manual" when browsing the software documentation. So not the FAQs or Troubleshooting.
  • - No access to the video content in the documentation
  • - No access to the virtual tour example content in the documentation (PTP only), or anything in an iFrame really.

Annis

no avatar
Guilhem

Topic author
Info

by Guilhem » Mon May 04, 2015 10:57 am

Thanks Annis for your reply,

The points you highlight is exactly why I expect a solution coming from Kolor instead of some "home made tricks/bidouillages" (yes, customers are lazy and have a high level of expectation :)).

By the way, into Epub, you can embed pictures and videos. This could be a better solution than pdf ! After an update, just a release notification by mail or into this section and everybody can download last revision or update the file. It will be the most convinient.
And if I don't have the "last new issued few hours ago" version while traveling in Patagonia or during a safari, I would have the old one which will cover 95% of my needs.

Guilhem

Annis
Kolor Team

Liked in: 443 posts
Info

by Annis » Mon May 04, 2015 11:34 am

If I wanted to offer a "proper" PDF documentation, then ideally I would have to create and reformat it entirely in a text editor, so that it could be viewed properly and that is simply not something that would be maintanable. No matter the ouutput (pdf export, epub [could you give me a link?], others..) the source page formatting problem remains, and will have to be dealt with. The new documentation interface has improved this but it still isn't great.

Just as a test, I exported PTP's documentation as a PDF. Not only is it a mess, but there are 360 pages, the file weighs 9.54MB and it does not have the videos. It also takes a while to create and download depending on your computer and bandwidth.

Out of curiosity, which software are you wanting PDF documentation of?

Annis

no avatar
Guilhem

Topic author
Info

by Guilhem » Mon May 04, 2015 11:55 am

Autopano Giga and Panotour Pro. If you try to work on it, it is a very good news. I just hope first version will be availaible for my "around the world trip" starting in mid-september :)

For Epub, you can refer to :
Wikipedia
Internation Digital Publishing Forum

For media embedding, this is a copy/paste of epub 3.0 Overview chapter 2.7 Multimedia:
EPUB 3 supports audio and video embedded in [content documents] via the new [HTML5] audio and video elements, inheriting all the functionality and features these elements provide. (For information on supported audio formats, please refer to Core Media Types [Publications30]. For recommendations on embedding video, refer to Reading System Conformance [Publications30].)
Another key new multimedia feature in EPUB 3 is the inclusion of Media Overlay Documents [MediaOverlays30]. When pre-recorded narration is available for a Publication, Media Overlays provide the ability to synchronize that audio with the text of a Content Document (see also Aural Renditions and Media Overlays).

We can do a lot of things with this format and very convinient for tablets too.