Panotour Pro ignoring all "Do not generate tiles on build"  

This forum is fully dedicated to Panotour / Panotour Pro bug reports as well as feature discussion.
no avatar
zedzed

Topic author
Liked in: 2 posts
Info

Panotour Pro ignoring all "Do not generate tiles on build"

by zedzed » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:30 am

I have all my tour's panoramas each checked for "Do not generate tiles on build". Yet there are instances when Panotour Pro (Win 10, V2.5.7 64bits) just ignores that and generates them on build anyway.

What I am doing for this to occur-

1. Build tour as normal
2. Select all tours and check the "Do not generate tiles on build" for each panorama.
2a. At this point- I use a separate JPEG optimization program to recompress all pano jpeg tiles in place for better performance. (hence why I do not want Panotour building them again)
3. Continue to work on tour and re-build along the way as usual (tiles do not get rebuilt as expected).
4. Move completed tour and all related files to another disk. (as one would do when archiving a completed job).
5. Later, open the project from that other disk
6. Wait for Panotour Pro to recreate Tour preview thumbnails (why does this happen too btw, there is a cache file no?)
7. Set new folder location in "build tab" (because the tour is now in a different location than originally)
8. Save project.
9. Hit build.
10. Panotour then proceeds to rebuild all the tiles, totally ignoring all "Do not generate tiles on build" checkmarked boxes.

Annis
Kolor Team

Liked in: 442 posts
Info

Re: Panotour Pro ignoring all "Do not generate tiles on buil

by Annis » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:55 am

You're building in a new location so to Panotour's "eyes" you have no built tour at all, so the tiles aren't technically being rebuilt they are being built, from the software point of view.

You should be building your tour directly in your new disk if you don't want Panotour to think you've started building your project anew.

As for the preview thumbnails, how are you moving the finished project over? Just copying the project + panoramas and other graphics sources to your new file?
If so then when you are opening PTP with your project you will be relinking the panoramas, so you need to rebuild those previews.
Use the Save as (Extended) option instead, you will be able to save the kpt to your destination disk and it will also copy all of the tour's sources (scenes, graphic elements, etc) with it so you can open the project easily.

no avatar
zedzed

Topic author
Info

by zedzed » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:18 am

>You're building in a new location so to Panotour's "eyes" you have no built tour at all,
>so the tiles aren't technically being rebuilt they are being built, from the software point of view.

All files are in the same directories relative to the project file. There should be no reason for Panotour to rebuild the tiles. *Especially*, and this is the point that I think you are missing- especially when there is a checked box instructing Panotour not to do so. A program (any program) should never do anything that is counter to a setting that is shown in the interface. When a program does so, then it is a bug.

>You should be building your tour directly in your new disk if you don't want
>Panotour to think you've started building your project anew.

This is not a reasonable request. Especially in a production environment. Current work is done on "work disks" (usually SSD)... Older work is drawn from or altered on secondary archive storage. Panotour forcing a complete rebuild simply because someone needs to make a very small change to the tour UI is unproductive. Especially when the tours are large.

no avatar
zedzed

Topic author
Info

by zedzed » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:33 am

>As for the preview thumbnails, how are you moving the finished project over?
>Just copying the project + panoramas and other graphics sources to your new file?

Yes. That is the proper way to move files from one disk to another.

>If so then when you are opening PTP with your project you will be relinking the panoramas,
>so you need to rebuild those previews.
>Use the Save as (Extended) option instead, you will be able to save the kpt to your destination
>disk and it will also copy all of the tour's sources (scenes, graphic elements, etc)
>with it so you can open the project easily.

This is a poor work-around. As stated prior, all files are in the same relative location to the project file. So Panotour should "know" where everything is. I am not aware of any other software program forcing a "Save As" in order to change the storage location of any project as a requirement for it to be able to properly open it. Not only are there instances where there may not be an actual person there to "Save As" before the files is moved, but there are other issues that could crop up as well, maybe that could even corrupt the file- which also seems to be a current issue with Panotour.

no avatar
zedzed

Topic author
Info

by zedzed » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:54 am

Why hasn't this bug been fixed yet? I am going back to make edits to tour project that have since been moved to another disk for archiving purposes and Panotour still insists on regenerating the tiles. Even though everything, all source panos, all tour files, all tour related files are still in the same directories as they once were. Everything that has been built should be found by Panotour but it is not. Moving a parent directory (or a change in drive letter) should *not* have any effect on this.

What part of "Do Not Generate Tiles on Build" does your program not understand?

bdd
Kolor Team

Liked in: 115 posts
Info

by bdd » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:07 pm

zedzed wrote:Why hasn't this bug been fixed yet?

Because it's a feature request and not a bug, Bradford.

Paths of generated tours are not relative paths but absolute ones in Panotour projects.

You asked that Panotour accepts relative ones.
It's a feature request that has to be validated before being implemented.

Gérald

no avatar
zedzed

Topic author
Info

by zedzed » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:14 pm

No Gerald, I have to disagree.

If I have a checked box that is CLEARLY checked to specifically NOT rebuild all the tiles, and furthermore the application shows me this. Then the application just goes ahead and builds it anyway it is obviously not a "feature".

Moving a folder containing a tour from one disk to another should not trigger a rebuild. There are no conditions that exist that would require such other than programming/design error.

I am ticked off because when I have to go back and make *minor* changes to the tours, I can't do so without going through HOURS of needless rebuilds.

If you can't see the error or bug in this, you obviously need to have someone else address this issue.

no avatar
zedzed

Topic author
Info

by zedzed » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:42 pm

It appears lines like the following appear in your Panotour project file (.kpt)---

<build imgJpegQuality="12" iBookTour="false" mobilesTour="true" exportComments="true" filename="oa112_2017" html5Tour="true" flashTour="false" desktopTour="true" htmlTemplate="fullpage.html" websiteWithCredentials="false" displayErrors="true" useMultiResolution="true" useMobileScale="true" baseDir="E:/OA/OA 112 2017/PANOTOUR" encryptConfig="false" lang="en"/>

Because I have not tried it yet, is it correct to assume that I can change the "drive letter" or name of top most directory in all instances of the path in the project file via text editor and side-step these unnecessary tile rebuilds??

bdd
Kolor Team

Liked in: 115 posts
Info

by bdd » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:32 pm

Yes Bradford, it can work.
Be sure to check the now famous erroneous buggy checkbox "Do not generate tiles" for all the scenes, by the way.
Because if you don't check it, there will be a check tile by tile, and as the absolute path of the already generated tile is stored in the "*.cache" file, the check will fail, and the tiles will be re-generated.
the "*.cache" file is a database file that cannot be edited with a simple text editor.

Gérald

no avatar
zedzed

Topic author
Info

by zedzed » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:46 pm

Thx. A hex editor for the cache file then perhaps?

no avatar
zedzed

Topic author
Info

by zedzed » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:01 pm

Ok looks like the *.cache file is SQLite format... Perhaps an edit to the path info in 'panos.filename' using an SQLite DB Browser/Editor will fix this nagging oversight.. Paths in 'files.filename' are already relative.

EDIT: (addition)
I am finding the inclusion of every single little jpeg tile as a record in the cache to be somewhat bizarre (which creates thousands upon thousands of records). What is the reason for this? A "trail" for all the tiles is already provided very succinctly within the <image> section of krpano's XML is it not?