Usability: "File not found" during creation removes panorama  

This forum is fully dedicated to Panotour / Panotour Pro bug reports as well as feature discussion.
no avatar
stadh

Topic author
Liked in: 3 posts
Info

Usability: "File not found" during creation removes panorama

by stadh » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:28 pm

Hi,

bug found:
- Prepare a tour
- Rename one of the panorama files on disk
- Create tour

--> During creation of the tour, PTP complains about "file not found" (of course).
When going back to the "Tour" tab to do the forgotten "replace panorama file" for the renamed panorama, I found that the corresponding panorama was removed entirely from the tour, including all links to and from it and all panorama properties.

This causes a lot of additional work to restore everything.

Ideas for solution:
If that case happens, i.e. "File not found" during creation, deactivate the panorama, but leave it in the tour. Maybe directly invoke the "replace panorama file" function or at least offer a button for that in the "File not found" dialog, so the user has a chance to keep the panorama in the tour without having to re-do everything regarding that panorama.

Annis
Kolor Team

Liked in: 444 posts
Info

Re: Usability: "File not found" during creation removes pano

by Annis » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:08 pm

What you forgot to specify is that this is on an already existing project (where the tiles have already been built) and the project has been closed and reopened (meaning that the pano in your workspace is the cache low res version, not the actual panorama).

We've registered the bug but in the meantime you should avoid renaming panoramas in projects that you are already using in a project.
If you want to edit your panorama, save over the same name. If you really need to change the panorama name, save it separately without deleting the original and then in PTP replace the panorama with the new one, which would be the proper way to handle this in any case.

no avatar
stadh

Topic author
Info

by stadh » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:57 pm

Annis wrote:What you forgot to specify is that this is on an already existing project (where the tiles have already been built) and the project has been closed and reopened (meaning that the pano in your workspace is the cache low res version, not the actual panorama).

I didn't know that this is a necessary precondition. :-)
But yes, I believe in my case all this was the case.

Annis wrote:We've registered the bug but in the meantime you should avoid renaming panoramas in projects that you are already using in a project.
If you want to edit your panorama, save over the same name. If you really need to change the panorama name, save it separately without deleting the original and then in PTP replace the panorama with the new one, which would be the proper way to handle this in any case.

What about a context menu feature for the panos in PTP "Rename File"?
That way, the user doesn't need to rename the file using file system tools anymore, and PTP is always informed about the file.

Annis
Kolor Team

Liked in: 444 posts
Info

by Annis » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:14 am

stadh wrote:What about a context menu feature for the panos in PTP "Rename File"?
That way, the user doesn't need to rename the file using file system tools anymore, and PTP is always informed about the file.

That wouldn't work, PTP doesn't edit your source files (even just for renaming).
If you're only looking to change your scene's name, you could just do that directly in the scene properties. It wouldn't matter if the original panorama is called "sldfsjkhgx2500.jpg", in Panotour you can call it "First Floor Bathroom".

no avatar
stadh

Topic author
Info

by stadh » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:51 am

I explicitly wanted to rename the pano file. :-)