Panotour Pro V2.5.3 keeps crashing  

This forum is fully dedicated to Panotour / Panotour Pro bug reports as well as feature discussion.
no avatar
jasonmccroskey

Topic author
Liked in: 1 post
Info

Panotour Pro V2.5.3 keeps crashing

by jasonmccroskey » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:25 am

Hello,

After starting to create my virtual tour projects, Panotour Pro will lock up on me. The only way to unfreeze this is to go to task manager and end the process. Note that i can access other applications on my computer, but Panotour freezes completely.

Once the process is ended, i can restart the Panotour project and continue building until it eventually locks up again.

There is no report generated for this crash.
This typically occurs when 2-3 Gigs of memory are being used for this task.
According to the settings, i have allocated 4 gigs of RAM for this service.

Computer Details:
Surface Pro 3, 256 gig Hard Drive, 8gig RAM, I5 processor
Windows 10 64bit

Graphics card:
Intel Graphics HD 4400
Driver is up to date with this hardware configuration.

I believe it might be a memory issue, but my computer memory never shows it is maxed out during the crashes.
Any advice?

bestazy likes this post.

no avatar
jasonmccroskey

Topic author
Info

Re: Panotour Pro V2.5.3 keeps crashing

by jasonmccroskey » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:52 am

Hi there,
Not getting a response at the moment or any recommendations on what to do.

Further piece of information is that when the freezes occur, I can still minimize the window and move it around my screen. I can open up other programs and have no visual issues. This indicates my computers memory appears acceptable, but the software itself may have a bug inside it.

I perform a large number of repeated motions like new hotspot, linking the hotspot, defining the display tool tip, save, repeat. If i do this about 10 times or so it will lock up and i cannot gain any response from the program. Waiting for 5-10minutes doesn't do anything either.

Please assist on this issue. I'm downing the newest version of the program to see if that corrects the problem, but i did not see that listed.

no avatar
Sean King

Liked in: 4 posts
Info

by Sean King » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:39 pm

Are you using windows update to update your graphic drivers?

There was a post on here that said you should update them manually as windows update doesn’t have the latest drivers.

Maybe try and get the drivers direct from intel.

It seems the latest drivers from intel are the 15.40.25.4463 released on the 17.06.2016 are those the ones you are using?

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/produc ... Processors

no avatar
jasonmccroskey

Topic author
Info

by jasonmccroskey » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:18 am

Hi Sean, Thanks for the response. I have tried updating the driver manually through the zip file and each time it says i'm running with the most up to date driver.

Note i am running Panotour 2.5.4 now. Should i try reinstalling?

I pulled a debug log off the most recent crash. Really not sure if this is any help, but its here for further troubleshooting. Again the issue occurs when i'm creating links and naming tool tips.

Other minor issues i'm experiencing is that the "action parameters" preview window for viewing the spherical image is always black and never displays anything regardless of zoom. Also when i switch the hotspot type before i link up the panormics, the Map Arrow remains will not change to the new selected pano hot spot image.

Any other advise would be great.

**edit, removing microsoft debug log cause i don't think it showed anything useful.
Last edited by jasonmccroskey on Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
jasonmccroskey

Topic author
Info

by jasonmccroskey » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:41 am

Kolor, Any HELP Guys? whats going on. Any similar issue? I need a place to start. Pretty pricey piece of software to crash after 20 hotspot edits.

Annis
Kolor Team

Liked in: 442 posts
Info

by Annis » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:57 am

If the software crashes have you been able to send in crash reports? I didn't find any with your e-mail.

no avatar
jasonmccroskey

Topic author
Info

by jasonmccroskey » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:26 pm

Crash reports are not created from Panotour. It is a Freezing/Non responsive issue on the software level. Other programs open up fine.

I have tried many things, and the most common thing that crashes it is during the hotspot creations. I have custom colored hotspots and typically use the drag arrows method to link the panoramics together.

If anyone can recommend and recording tool on the software level i would be willing to try and collect the logs and post them during the crash. I can replacate the issue because it crashes approximately 6-10 times during every tour i build. I am creating highly complex tours approximately 1 a week.

I really need help correcting this bug as this is ruining my productivity

no avatar
Dennisw

Liked in: 3 posts
Info

by Dennisw » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:56 pm

Hi Jason

I am just learning PanoTour on ver 2.5.9 and the first annoyance was the freezing you described when creating/linking hotspots. My tour is small compared to what you describe and my hotspot icons are just the default. The only difference from your description is that not only can I not close the program without Task Manager but I can't shrink it or hide it either. Did you resolve your issue?

Also I have the black preview, as yet unsolved, issue and will have to follow Annis' workaround advice of loading 2.5.4 to see if that eliminates it.

Dennis

no avatar
jasonmccroskey

Topic author
Info

by jasonmccroskey » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:43 pm

Hi Dennis,
What computer/ resources are you using?

My preview did eventually come back after a version upgrade. The crashes will still come but are random. I don't have anything else to offer, just be sure to save often.

no avatar
Dennisw

Info

by Dennisw » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:35 pm

Hi Jason

I figured out the Save, Save, Save strategy pretty fast. It is an older Dell Latitude e6420 with only 4 GB memory. And a so-so nVidia graphics card. I noticed that after every freeze-up Task Manager reports memory usage at 93% or higher. One bit of good news that will show how much of a newbie I am with graphics is that I think I've solved my black preview screen issue. I randomly noticed an FAQ that alerted me too the fact that the system was set for PanoTour to use the integrated intel graphics and not the higher-functioning nVidia card. I've changed that and suddenly I have previews. Maybe that was sucking up the other memory to and causing my freezes? I'll keep watching this.

Thanks for your ideas and reply... Dennis

bestazy likes this post.

no avatar
Dennisw

Info

by Dennisw » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:55 pm

Just confirming (long may it last?) that since getting PanoTour off the integrated intel graphics and onto the nVidia graphics card the demands on the computer's memory have gone down a lot (now showing 75-85% max instead instead of around 95% before.) My theory is that it shifted enough processing to the nVidia card's memory where it should have been all along that the regular memory no longer overloads when running the program so that it freezes. Does that make sense to people out there who really understands memory stuff?

no avatar
Dennisw

Info

by Dennisw » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:22 pm

Switching it to the proper graphics card solved it for me, as noted above.

benji33 likes this post.