Google Killed Virtual Tours for Virtual Tour Photographers.  

This forum is fully dedicated to Panotour / Panotour Pro bug reports as well as feature discussion.
no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Liked in: 228 posts
Info

Google Killed Virtual Tours for Virtual Tour Photographers.

by Destiny » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:20 am

In my opinion Google killed Virtual Tours both in quality and opportunities for most Virtual Tour photographers. A while back I was asked to create a Virtual Tour for a bus company... I was told I was up against Google photographers. To be honest, as soon as I was made aware of this I did not even bother following up..

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@1.28656 ... e5!6m1!1e1

A few days ago I saw on the News a group of guys walking along the Australian Parks, with a Google Pack capturing 360 Virtual Tours every few seconds. No way any photographer could ever compete with that technology, but it seem that the quality of Googles Virtual Tours is acceptable by them and others..

So in a nut shell.. Google has set the standard, which is in my opinion is terrible. They have also set the price which is very low to almost nothing..

No photographer could ever compete with creating terrible quality Virtual Tour photography, for virtually nothing...

I guess Googles aim was to highlight this new media and provide some value to this media.. In my opinion Google failed in every possible way..

Destiny..

no avatar
Kindred

Liked in: 0 post
Info

Re: Google Killed Virtual Tours for Virtual Tour Photographe

by Kindred » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:22 pm

About a year ago I would have wholeheartedly agreed with you Destiny. The quality of Street View and Business View panos can be seen as inferior in a lot of ways to what can be produced by using Panotour, the other tour creators out there or just plain coding skills. And sure, some of the stitching errors are abominable and can be seen as not up to scratch by us creators.
But what Google has done is promote 360° photography and virtual tours to a much wider audience, both businesses and the general populace. This can't be a bad thing.

At some stage I conquered my skepticism and the thought occurred to me, why not offer both Google tours and customised tours? So that's what I've done and it's worked pretty well. Clients have contacted me because they had seen a Google Business View and wanted one for their business (they would never have considered a virtual tour or contacted me otherwise). Most clients are pretty wowed by just a Google tour, but I am then able to show them another option of a premium and customised tour with more bells and whistles then some go for the customised and some want both! So you get the double whammy. So in the end offering Google tours has actually increased my prospects of shooting premium tours and getting creative.

There are two ways to look at it. If all that clients want is Google virtual tours, then that would be disappointing. But I haven't found that to entirely be the case.

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Liked in: 228 posts
Info

by Destiny » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:49 pm

Well.. I can see your point of view.. And yes, I can see that Google might have well promoted this new media in ways that are not entirely apparent..

The issue I have had, customers want it for the same price.. The quote I did for a bus mob was under-cut and offered for just over $100.. I just could not complete with that.. It cost me $20 in petrol just to go and see them.. Then that would be another $20 to go back to capture the Tours.. They wanted ALL of their buses done..

I guess there would be two side to all this.. In some ways the quality of the Google images are really nice in parts, but is the double imaging... the missed stitching and more.. If I were to provide my work to the client in that quality they would probably throw it back at me.. Yet Google can get away with it because they do it for next to nothing or free...

Thankfully, PTP is not on the Google offerings.. So, as you can said, you can create a Tour with all the bells and whistles.. All the good stuff added.... with the quality I hope.. ;)

It amazes me some countries such as many in Europe, have adopted this new media and see the value in it.. Even Asia has also seen the value in this new media.. However, here in the land down under, no way they have ..

I have a long term vision of creating a full virtual shop/store.. Yet I have been stone walled every single step of the way by companies who see no value in this new media.. One main issue is the fact that I am not dealing with the big boss, but rather some inexperienced person in charge of a section who seem to have no vision at all, or don't care.. Yet those same companies carry on like a pork chop about falling sales.. With more sales heading toward internet sales.. oh hum.. It confuses me to realise that they know where the further is, yet they are incapable of seeing the value in using a new media like Virtual Tours to promote their sales.. and the possible value it might have for them..

Destiny..

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:27 pm

Kindred wrote:But what Google has done is promote 360° photography and virtual tours to a much wider audience, both businesses and the general populace. This can't be a bad thing.

The problem is: they "promote" it by realizing such a mediocre quality that in public as well as in business they damage the term "360 panorama-photography" immensely!!
We as producers need to convince potential clients very hard to show them it CAN BE DONE in a real good way on high standards.

So i definitely agree to Destiny: Google´s way of "promoting" VR photography is a very bad thing as long as it happens on
SUCH a low-quality and cheap looking standard!

Kindred wrote:There are two ways to look at it. If all that clients want is Google virtual tours, then that would be disappointing. But I haven't found that to entirely be the case.

Yes - but "premium tours" (whatever that means) need to cost appropriate money. The prices we ask - and need to ask - per sphere plus additionall costs for building a tour of many spheres all in all quickly exceeds the range of 10-15000.-$ per tour . . .

That´s not really what clients expect knowing just how Google does it . . .

Klaus

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:02 pm

Destiny wrote:Yet I have been stone walled every single step of the way by companies who see no value in this new media.. One main issue is the fact that I am not dealing with the big boss, but rather some inexperienced person in charge of a section who seem to have no vision at all, or don't care.

Very vital point!

The way around it: you need to CREATE a market if there IS no market.

The most important step on this way: create EXCELLENT examples of what can be done. Impressing ones! Not just showing what it all means
technically - that´s not enough! You need to run the people down by making them think "WOW!! I WANT IT"

The point is: "WANT IT" - not only "NEED it".

You´ll get them by the balls when you wake their vanity! Make them feel superior to their competitors by having such a cute thing no one
of their competitors have. Show them BRILLIANT work, IMPRESSING work - only "okay-ish" work isn´t enough!

I several times learned how advertising campaigns get started: CEO X meets CEO Y on the golf-range. They talk about marketing.
CEO X tells CEO Y that they have a new agency which is just creating a brand-new and great campaign for them - new CI and all.

Of course he doesn´t tell details about the campaign´s idea and so - but the angency which he tells is doing the campaign has done other,
milestone-like, brilliant and successful campaigns for other clients . . . and is well known for winning Lions in Cannes.

Result: without knowing ANYTHING about what CEO X´s company and their agency are REALLY doing CEO Y spreads the word: "they´re gonna be doing something which must be great, revolutionary and so - they hired the agency Z which is well known for doing brilliant and sucessful campaings and wins Lions in Cannes . . . !!" . . . . . "By the way: what about or own agency? Where do they rank? What have they done brilliantly so far?? Did they ever win a Lion in Cannes?"

You know what i mean? It´s lots of psychology, politics, playing with the vanity of clients, what make them feel "special" . .

The business isn´t only about what you do - it´s about how you present yourself!

Advertiser´s credo: "You´ll never get a second chance leaving a first impression" . . :-)

What Google and their affiliated photographers leave as first impression they never will get rid of . .

Klaus

no avatar
MART

Info

by MART » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:23 pm

While I wholeheartedly agree and place a positive spin myself on the whole Google involvement, 2 points that are difficult to overcome, firstly Google is global as such it is perceived as a recognized brand and all that goes with that label, try telling a customer that you provide a better product than a multinational or indeed how poor their product is.
Secondly and most disturbingly who owns the platform on which we all rely. Google will not let a business upload panos to "Google Places" "Google Plus" etc unless they have been taken by a "Google Trusted Photographer" for any business its any easy choice inferior quality and lots of exposure or superior quality and no exposure.
I know first hand as I provided a tour to a customer and now he wants it in his Google Places and that wont happen unless he uses a Google Photographer no matter how superior my work is.

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:56 pm

MART wrote:try telling a customer that you provide a better product than a multinational or indeed how poor their product is.

Just produce better results - if the potential client doesn´t recognize you´re better . . . you´ve lost anyway.

MART wrote:Secondly and most disturbingly who owns the platform on which we all rely. Google will not let a business upload panos to "Google Places" "Google Plus" etc unless they have been taken by a "Google Trusted Photographer" for any business its any easy choice inferior quality and lots of exposure or superior quality and no exposure.
I know first hand as I provided a tour to a customer and now he wants it in his Google Places and that wont happen unless he uses a Google Photographer no matter how superior my work is.

Then: forget the client. Tell him to look elsewhere. When he does the job with a "Google-approved photographer" and gets crappy results . . send him flowers =D

Cients - or potential clients - who do not value your work definitely are not the kind of clients who would make you happy . . .

Klaus

no avatar
HansKeesom

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by HansKeesom » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:37 pm

MART wrote:.....
Secondly and most disturbingly who owns the platform on which we all rely. Google will not let a business upload panos to "Google Places" "Google Plus" etc unless they have been taken by a "Google Trusted Photographer" for any business its any easy choice inferior quality and lots of exposure or superior quality and no exposure......

That was until this spring. Now it is easy to upload to the platform, link panoramas etc... been there, done that ;-)

no avatar
MART

Info

by MART » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:42 pm

HansKeesom wrote:
MART wrote:.....
Secondly and most disturbingly who owns the platform on which we all rely. Google will not let a business upload panos to "Google Places" "Google Plus" etc unless they have been taken by a "Google Trusted Photographer" for any business its any easy choice inferior quality and lots of exposure or superior quality and no exposure......

That was until this spring. Now it is easy to upload to the platform, link panoramas etc... been there, done that ;-)

Interesting this was not my understanding, althoughI would imagine Google now own the rights to your tour.

no avatar
HansKeesom

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by HansKeesom » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:31 am

MART wrote:Interesting this was not my understanding, althoughI would imagine Google now own the rights to your tour.

Have a look, for the moment they display a copyright notice and my name.

https://www.google.com/maps/views/view/ ... 90&fovy=75