Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:26 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:18 pm 

Hi guys, please give me some help with basic information for building a successfully virtual tour including live pano video; I mentioned successfully because the intuitive method does not work. (in fact, half intuitive as I followed the Kolor tutorial - Chadian tea shop)

1 Video should be shot with the same equipment and from the same position as the images for the panorama?
2 Camera (5DMK2) provides two video sizes: 1920 x 1080@25fps, 1920 x 1080@24fps and 640 x 480@25fps; I choose 1920x1080@25fps; is it right, wrong, unimportant?
3 First 2 steps, from the tutorial, were ok; at the 3-rd step (crop zone) the video was not displayed (see attachment); I tried some blind fold crops with bad results; pano is not displayed too.
4 The problem is not that I made a bad crop, and I had no feet in the video :), but, as I shot portrait both, panorama and video, the video came out rotated (90 clockwise) no matter my editing - none, rotate in Live Pano window (1 time to the left, 2 times to the left), rotated in video editing software. Video, after render, was distorted.
5 When would we be the happy owners of a manual?

I thank you in advance for your answers.

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2013-11-27 at 16.22.57.png
Screen Shot 2013-11-27 at 16.22.57.png [ 729.56 KiB | Viewed 252 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:51 am 
Administrator

1. Definitely. Shoot the video in exact same conditions as still images. The only difference will be the image size.

2. Right choice. 24 or 25 fps doesn't matter that much. Of course capturing in HD is the best choice to ensure the best quality in rendered LivePano.

3. This is not normal, something seems wrong with your panorama file (Autopano project). Did you go through stitching process without any problem ? Was video frame integrated properly ?

4. Yes, you're right to shoot all in portrait. And indeed, videos are always stored in landscape (1920w and 1080h), thus it is played rotated 90CW. You extract a frame (snapshot) that is also in rotated (1920x1080) and feed Autopano with it. When stitching it with the still images, Autopano knows it should be applied some roll angle (some value approx -+90°) to "rotate it back around optical axis". Finally panorama is done, video image is properly integrated and LivePano should work well. If it seems you follow these steps, please share with us your files so we could try to reproduce your problem and find the good solution. Our private FTP deposit process is described here: http://www.kolor.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=766. Please notify us once you've uploaded your content, and set some comprehensive name to your package (e.g. with your name and livepano tag).

5. Panotour is still in beta version, and documentation is currently being written. It should be available with official Panotour release.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:21 pm 

In the first place, thanks for answering.
Let's recap:
- pano and video in the same position with the same gear;
- video file size HD;
- pano stitched ok (RMS aprox. 1.43) but after rendering I used krpano to convert into cube faces and to convert again into sphere, to take out the tripod. (I'll try again without krpano)
- "Was video frame integrated properly" ? - I think yes; after shooting the 8+Z+2N I came to my first image position and took the video; by default, in Live Pano window, the first image was already selected, matched with my video, so I continued with "next".
- "You extract a frame (snapshot) that is also in rotated (1920x1080) and feed Autopano with it." - Any frame? Is it important in which software? (I'm on mac)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:00 pm 
Administrator

Quote:
Any frame? Is it important in which software? (I'm on mac)

Any frame where content is clear enough to allow a good stitch, especially if you have edited your video and added some fading in/out. I advise to get a png file, whatever software you are using. We often use vlc (free player) here as it gives good results.

One topic you could read that contains useful additional information (waiting for official documentation): http://www.kolor.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=20119&hilit=livepano#p129517

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:05 am 

This topic, you sent me, changed everything. Now it works, not perfect but it's a start.

There is something I still don't understand; you say in the thread: "Once done, drag/drop the snapshot from left pane to the stitched panorama and open editor"
That means that stitching is done with all images + vlcsnap and after that, before opening the editor I have to drag/drop vlcsnap to the right pane over the stitched panorama? Isn't it already there? (see att. from your thread)
One more question slightly of topic: in general, why do matching points have different colours?

I feel like making an observation to Kolor: PTP 2.0 is a beta version; if it was for free I could have understood the missing manual, but when I buy something I expect to be able to use it, even if it is not perfect (beta). Without the thread you sent me it is impossible to guess how to use it. A minimum of working indications should be provided.

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2013-11-29 at 10.51.33.png
Screen Shot 2013-11-29 at 10.51.33.png [ 33.74 KiB | Viewed 224 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:58 am 
Administrator

Drag/drop in Autopano is advised in case detection step ignored video snapshot, to force its inclusion in panorama. Thus it is not always mandatory.