Low Resolution if Projection FOV is small?  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Panotour 2.0+ problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
Pluto248

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Low Resolution if Projection FOV is small?

by Pluto248 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:06 pm

At the moment i'm designing a VR-Tour. In one of de 360° Images there is a case. I'd like to link an extra Image from the inside of the case to the tour. I added the Image (24mp) to the tour an choose the spherical projection. But this image isn't a 360°x180° image so i set the projetion FOV to 15°x10°. If i start the tour after building it, the image has a really low resolution. What can i do to get the full resolution?

I attached an image of the settings and one of the result...

I would b happy if anyone could help me =D
Attachments
Settings.JPG
Result.JPG

Annis
Kolor Team

Liked in: 419 posts
Info

Re: Low Resolution if Projection FOV is small?

by Annis » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:50 pm

With such a tiny FOV wouldn't you be better off displaying that as a planar scene?

The lower resolution can be explained by the fact that there is no multiresolution for partial spherical scenes, which is what you have at the moment. So you're limited to the resolution of the cube faces, on a tiny tiny portion of the scene.

As a planar scene you'd get the full resolution back, otherwise you'd have to place your image on a spherical image and crop it in the hotspot editor.

no avatar
Pluto248

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

by Pluto248 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:45 pm

Thank you for your reply :)

"With such a tiny FOV wouldn't you be better off displaying that as a planar scene?"

Planar scenes can not be implemented in VR Tours. If you start he VR mode, the planar scenes doesn't show up.
Is there a way/plugin to implement planar images in VR mode?

"The lower resolution can be explained by the fact that there is no multiresolution for partial spherical scenes, which is what you have at the moment. So you're limited to the resolution of the cube faces, on a tiny tiny portion of the scene."

Yes that's right. But the creates the tiles nevertheless.

"As a planar scene you'd get the full resolution back, otherwise you'd have to place your image on a spherical image and crop it in the hotspot editor."

In the hotspot editor i just can crop from the top and the bottom but not from the left and the right...

Annis
Kolor Team

Liked in: 419 posts
Info

by Annis » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:16 pm

Pluto248 wrote:Planar scenes can not be implemented in VR Tours. If you start he VR mode, the planar scenes doesn't show up.
Is there a way/plugin to implement planar images in VR mode?

Not that I know of

Pluto248 wrote:Yes that's right. But the creates the tiles nevertheless.

Yes for the Flash fallback which did support multi-res on partial panos.

Pluto248 wrote:In the hotspot editor i just can crop from the top and the bottom but not from the left and the right...

There's a trick for that, set the input fov to 359° instead of 360°. You can now crop left and right. Then switch the input fov back to 360°.

Virtual crop is ignored when gyroscope is active, so both in the VR mode or the normal tour with gyro active the extra area will be visible.