Tricks to get sound on mobile devices  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Panotour 2.0+ problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
ungeherr

Topic author
Liked in: 14 posts
Info

Tricks to get sound on mobile devices

by ungeherr » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:05 pm

It's a well know issue that audio doesn't necessarily autoplay in mobile browsers like chrome.

There are however smart tricks to get the user to activate the sound (which is required by the browser) and I hope we can all help each other by sharing these tricks here.

1. My first tip on how to activate the tour sound on a mobile device is to use a welcome/splash screen which the user has to click to remove. You do this by creating a button that shows when the tour initiates or by purchasing this plugin http://dev.alexpopov.me/startscreen which has the feature built in. You can then use action parameters to start the sound and even activate full screen mode. Btw, sounds must first be turned off for this to have effect. Either deactivate sound in starting parameters or tell the button to first stop and then play sounds.

The only problem with the trick above is that it only activates BG sound for the whole tour and soundspot sound for the first panorama. When you enter a new panorama with soundspots, you have to turn the sound off and back on again to activate their sound.

I've tried to turn the sound off and back on with the "point spot style" but it doesn't work. Probably because the action happens before you enter the new panorama.

Any other clever ideas? I'm open for everything.

The only thing I can come up with right now is to have a button with the tool tip "click to play sound effects"

The dream scenario would be if Kolor can fix it so that a panos BG sound can play simultaneously with the groups BG sound since BG sounds seems to be accepted by the mobile browsers. But maybe it isn't technically possible?
Last edited by ungeherr on Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

benji33 likes this post.

ungeherr

Topic author
Info

Re: Tricks to get sound on mobile devices

by ungeherr » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:07 pm

Oh, and it's also very interesting if anyone has a clever idea on how to activate sound in VR mode since Kolors standard VR splash screen doesn't seem to do the trick any more.

Lausbube likes this post.

benji33
Kolor Team

Liked in: 188 posts
Info

by benji33 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:28 pm

Thanks for this post ungeherr.
Here is an other topic on these browsers policies changes. This post will be updated with new content as soon as possible for others cases on autoplay videos and sounds.
viewtopic.php?f=91&t=36844#p203352

ungeherr

Topic author
Info

by ungeherr » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:10 pm

@benji33 How come I don't experience any issues with video when I use Chrome on mobile devices? All my livepanos autoplay like they should.