Cropping in PTP to reduce 360x180 image  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Panotour 2.0+ problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
marzipano

Topic author
Liked in: 14 posts
Info

Cropping in PTP to reduce 360x180 image

by marzipano » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:19 am

I read the posting by Leifs about the discontinuation of Adobe Flash in 2020 in this Forum and have been doing some preliminary tests as to which alternative approach to use to retain full multi-resolution on NON 360x180 panoramas (of which I have hundreds to address)

The current situation is that these non 360x180 will use html5 to generate the graphics and (via krpano) without a flash option and will only have the low resolution of the cube faces and not multi. I suspect I will not be the only one who will find this unacceptable

I know of 3 options :
1. Regenerate all the affected panos using the APG 360x180 spherical option (i.e. "do not clamp to max extent" in the settings) and then use PTP cropping to adjust the image dimensions
2, Create a blank 360x180 image of the right dimensions and "drop" the old jpg into the middle of this template and crop with PTP cropping as in (1)
3. Regenerate as planar

3 is only applicable where the HFOV is 90 degrees or less AFAIK

1. Is the favoured method for me provided the existing pano has not had a large amount of post-processing done (stitching errors, colour corrections etc etc)
2. is the favoured method for me for those panos that have had a lot pf post processing done as it doesn't all need to be repeated this way whereas in (1) it does

Are there other approaches to get full resolution without Flash being available for non 360x180n panos whilst using APG/PTP

I had a specific problem with PTP cropping:
When handling images that were < 360x180 in both dimensions (e.g. 170x50 in my test) I found correcting the vertical using cropping in PTP was easy but the crop facility didn't seem to let me correct the horizontal as the crop handles were missing - how to you correct both HFOV and VFOV in the same image ?

thx
Martin

(oops sorry I think I should have put this in the PTP Forum - Admin/Mods could you move please)

Annis
Kolor Team

Liked in: 444 posts
Info

Re: Cropping in PTP to reduce 360x180 image

by Annis » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:02 am

I'll move your topic.

For full equi's, you need to modify the input fov of your image by a degree to be able to crop on all sides, then set the input fov back to 360x180° to turn it back into a 360 image.
Panotour - Tour - Hotspot editor - Autopano - Google Chrome.png

And there is another option you can try if you have partial panoramas BUT:
1) it is untested
2) activating it will void any possible support for any issues that could appear for your tours or software while it is activated
3) You will get a bunch of extra black tiles, same as when you edit your partial panos onto equis because it is essentially doing that work for you, placing your partial panoramas on an equi sphere and rendering the missing tiles.

It is explained here, where all the red text is. ;)

no avatar
marzipano

Topic author
Info

by marzipano » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:07 pm

I was interested in trying out the registry hack (after backing uo !) but it looks as though the content of the "general" subfolder has been redefined without the parameter being defined any more (I tried PTP 2.5.0 and 2.5.8)

I have an old version of PT (2.1) still set up and I found it in there OK

Am I right about that or just looking in the wrong place !

Martin

Annis
Kolor Team

Info

by Annis » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:26 pm

That's... a good point, I haven't tested it since that post (I did say it was untested!). I'll see if I can find it again.

no avatar
marzipano

Topic author
Info

by marzipano » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:21 pm

Annis wrote:That's... a good point, I haven't tested it since that post (I did say it was untested!). I'll see if I can find it again.

Have you had a chance to look this up yet ?

Martin

Annis
Kolor Team

Info

by Annis » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:20 am

I'm really sorry for the wait, Gérald hadn't given me a reply yet and I was not able to find it myself since any changes to it weren't documented.

Go to Panotour Pro > Application and modify the key named internal from 0x00000000 to 0x00000001 (double click on internal and change the value from 0 to 1)

I'll edit the original forum post with the new information.

no avatar
marzipano

Topic author
Info

by marzipano » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:39 am

Annis wrote:I'm really sorry for the wait, Gérald hadn't given me a reply yet and I was not able to find it myself since any changes to it weren't documented.

Go to Panotour Pro > Application and modify the key named internal from 0x00000000 to 0x00000001 (double click on internal and change the value from 0 to 1)

I'll edit the original forum post with the new information.

Thanks for that heads-up Annis.
I have done that change to the Registry and compared the results on a non 360x180 pano that I had previously processed as a standard jpg panorama and displayed using Adobe Flash

You can see from the results below (albeit as a fairly extreme close-up) that where flash is not available the difference is very noticeable

Assuming Kolor/Krpano do not provide any more workarounds between now and 2020, this is definitely the best option to maintain quality compared with the other ones I noted at the start of this thread

I should point out, however, nothing comes for free and there is a major reource overhead in doing this. The sub folder containing the pano data went up from 20MB to 42MB and the number of files in the folder shot up from 376 to 2090

Here is the comparison

Martin
Attachments
258.jpg
258+regmod.jpg

Annis
Kolor Team

Info

by Annis » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:21 pm

Yes essentially that registry edit saves you from editing your panoramas to add the extra degrees missing or re-rendering it but you will still end up with a lot of black files.

You should be able to delete some of the black files that aren't viewed (for example at the opposite of the view from your partial panorama) but it is difficult to know which ones are okay to remove or not (I believe in some cases at the edges some of the black tiles would be loaded so you could get errors for them not showing up even if you don't actually see them).