Adobe will finally kill Flash in 2020  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Panotour 2.0+ problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
leifs

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Adobe will finally kill Flash in 2020

by leifs » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:35 pm

I have 200+ panos online made with PTP 1.8 (and before), which requires adobe flash.
At the time nobody thought panos made with PTP 1.8 would be killed in 2020.
Now this is a fact, https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/25/1602 ... pport-2020

So what are Kolor going to do ?
Leave the dedicated PTP customers to their own fate: move your panos yourself ?
Maybe we will move to an alternative platform, as we have to start from scratch anyway !

I suggest that Kolor (in contrary to what they did moving from 1.8 to 2.0) make a migration-tool.
Some early adopters/customers will be willing to pay for such a tool.
It will also be good for Kolors image as a long-term reliable tool-maker. You are not left in the dust when technology moves forward.

Anyone ?

regards
Leif Strand

no avatar
Destiny

Liked in: 228 posts
Info

Re: Adobe will finally kill Flash in 2020

by Destiny » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:20 pm

Hi.. Sorry but I do not really understand what you are requesting... Kolor have noted the move away from Flash years ago by introducing html5 based software with PTP V2.. Everyone has had heaps of time to recreate their Tours.. Painful as it might be... I do not understand Migrate.. The problems is, the old 1.8 is not compatible with V2.5+.. There has been notice about Flash going for years.. I have remade most of my Tours, some from scratch since the plugins are not compatible.. Sad to say, I think you have to remake all of your Tours.. The loss of Flash is going to have a huge impact on so many .. Even some of my software like Poser, has its GUI built using Flash. I have Sofie 3D, its all Flash.. They are working on an html5 option.. Its not going to be easy for many people... Some are unaware of the loss of Flash.. I know so many great Action Script programmers where their skills are going to be lost.. Adobe will cause such an issue but at least it did service after Macromedia went belly up.. Adobe did keep it alive for a few years.

Destiny....

Annis
Kolor Team

Liked in: 444 posts
Info

by Annis » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:25 am

The migration tool would be Panotour V2, there's no way around it. It's a completely different technology from Flash which required the entire recreation of the software.

Software which was released in February 2014 after spending over 6 months in beta might I add, so that is plenty of time to convert the tours which would have needed it.

no avatar
leifs

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

by leifs » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:30 pm

To Destiny:
I moved to v2 as soon as it was released, and have not made any 1.8 panos since. But I'm talking about the 200+ panos made before v2 was released.
I wasn't borne yesterday, I've seen software come and go. But I have seldom seen a more harsh transition than Kolor did from 1.8 to v2. Example: I can still open MS Excel-files from 20 years ago i the latest Excel version.
Not compatible ! Thats not a relevant comment, it's about users who has invested a lot of time on panos in the pre v2 period, panos left in the dust.

To Annis:
What about users of PTP from before 2014 ? Software companies want to keep existing customers, when serious companies do technology leaps (all do) they try to bring along existing customers offering some kind of bridge/migration tool. I know it can be done, I've done a lot of coding myself.
The move from 1.8 to v2 did not offer anything like this. Since 2014 pre-v2 panos have worked in a way. Now I know that they will all be killed in 2020. I will have to spend quite some time (100-150 hours ?) to move them to html5 , using a tool of my liking. Maybe it will be PTP.

regards
Leif Strand

no avatar
marzipano

Liked in: 14 posts
Info

by marzipano » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:13 pm

It is a shame Flash has become persona non grata with so many of the browsers

I'm still hanging in there with Firefox but the days are now numbered from what I have read in here

The big snag for me (and this is not a Kolor problem really) is that I don't generally make equirectangular (360x180) panoramas - mine are mostly around 360x50 and spherical projections (older ones are cylindrical)

With this type of pano and because of the way krpano works (so I'm told) the resolution using html5 is very low and the decrease is very noticeable. You can get round this at the moment by specifying the use of Flash as an override in the html generated by Panotour. Once this option has gone I will have to regenerate all my 400 or so panos as 360x180 in APG, do any post processing again (a lot) and then use Panotour cropping to bring the dimensions back down. Also the files generated this way are a lot bigger so everything takes longer. For the panos where there was a huge amount of post-processing I will copy the existing jpg into a bigger blank 360x180 empty shell and use this. Both options are a right royal pain in the backside though !

I'm not expecting krpano/Kolor to come up with a workaround so I think I will just have to do it myself as a very long project !

Martin