Google Desktop Street View Editor will expire on March 31st  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Panotour 2.0+ problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
benji33
Kolor Team

Topic author
Liked in: 190 posts
Info

Google Desktop Street View Editor will expire on March 31st

by benji33 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:01 pm

Hello,

As you are likely aware, the original Google Desktop Street View Editor will expire on March 31st, 2017.

It has been decided that Panotour will not allow the export of your visits to Street View.
Several software publishers have already worked on this issue and offer their software, free or paid, based on the new Google Street View API.
We invite you to get closer to these editors to support this feature.

Publishers links :
Thank you for reading,

In case you didn't get the original e-mail, this is from the Google Street View trusted photographers news:

Dear photographers,

The world of 360 photography is developing extremely quickly, and we’re continuously amazed by the creativity and contributions from this community. Google continues to create new tools to help professionals and amateurs alike capture beautiful imagery, so today we’re excited to share information on the next steps for publishing 360 imagery on desktop.

As announced earlier last year at the Street View Summit, we are shifting our ongoing support and maintenance efforts away from the existing, desktop Street View editor. In its place, we’ve developed an API for third-party desktop publishing, streamlining your publishing workflow and enabling a nearly limitless level of customization. Already, multiple desktop applications are being prepared as successors to the Street View editor. These have been developed by third-party developers like GoThru, Garden Gnome Software, and LCP360. Expect product announcements directly from them soon. Plus, top contributors will be given early access to the API over the next few weeks, so please fill out this form if you are interested in being one of the first to build new tools using the API.

As we extend access to our new publishing API, we will also retire the existing desktop publishing utility (the “Street View editor”). This turndown will occur on March 31, 2017, after similar pose, connect, and publish capabilities have been made available from 3rd party developers.

In addition to our API efforts, we have continued to develop professional features in the Street View app for Android and iOS, which now features a popular new connectivity interface and a Contribute tab highlighting locations that would most benefit from having more imagery. You can read more about these great features here.

If you have any questions about these changes, feel free to reach out to our team by posting your questions on the forum or filing a support case here.

While we understand that changes to your workflow can be difficult, we hope that these new efforts will ultimately give you more flexibility, make you more efficient and productive, and allow our team to focus on new workflows that further support a prosperous future for 360 photography.

FAQs:
Is the desktop editor going away?
Yes, the current desktop editor has been slowly coming to the end of its lifecycle and can no longer be supported. We’ll be shutting down access to the tool on March 31st, after which it will no longer be accessible.

Will Google launch a new desktop editor?
No, we don’t have plans to develop a new desktop editor, but instead we’re launching an API that empowers 3rd party developers to create desktop utilities for connecting and publishing Street View content to Google Maps. We’re working to make sure that when the Street View editor is turned off, you have viable options already available from developers who understand trusted photographers’ needs and workflows.

How can I publish imagery without the desktop editor?
You will still be able to use the Street View app to publish, connect and blur your imagery, and transfer the imagery rights to business owners, or you can use one of the platforms that are being created using the API. You also have the option to create your own version of the desktop editor if you’re familiar with JS and the Google APIs.

What does this API do? What kind of functionalities can I expect (e.g. stitching, etc.)?
The API allows you to publish 360 photos to Google Maps, along with image metadata that specifies the position, orientation, and connectivity of each 360 photo. With this API, any application can offer an interface for positioning, connecting, and uploading user-generated Street View images. If you are interested in being one of the beta testers, please apply here.

Where can I find out more information about the API?
Detailed API documentation is currently available only to beta testers, but we plan to open up access to the public very soon. To apply to the beta program, please fill out this form.

Where can I get support on the API?
If you are part of our beta program for this API, please check your email for support instructions. When we publicly release this API, support options will be clearly listed in the API documentation.

Can I create my own editor with the API and charge for its use?
You can apply to be one of the beta testers through this form and read the applicable terms here https://developers.google.com/terms/. At the moment there are no restrictions for charging. However if you intend to also use the Google Maps API, please take note that those specific terms will also apply as outlined here: https://developers.google.com/maps/terms Checking on terms & conditions

Will shoots created using the API show up on my profile page?
Yes, content published from these 3rd-party utilities will appear in your Maps profile, just as your contributions through the Street View app also appear there.

Will I need to pre-stitch imagery if I use a platform developed using the API?
The API can only publish complete and stitched 360 photos, but some developers may decide to include stitching as part of the utilities they offer. There are also the Street View app-compatible cameras available — and more advanced ones coming — that allow you take a stitched 360 photo in one click.

Will I be able to blur, edit and remove imagery if published using the API?
Yes, in the first version, editing and removing imagery will be possible through the API. Blurring will not be available in the first version of the API, but we’ll keep this channel updated on any future developments.

Will I be able to embed imagery published using a platform developed through the API?
Yes. The imagery published will be published to maps just like any other 360 photos and so will be available to embed either through the iframe or through the Google Maps API.

Will there be license charges for using the API (like Maps API)?
No, there are no plans to charge for using the Street View Publish API

What happens if I want to edit imagery published through the deprecated desktop editor?
After 31st March you will no longer be able to edit imagery in the editor. We will be able to facilitate removal of published imagery and you will be able to re-publish through another platform. We recommend that you complete all publishing and edits in advance of the 31st March deadline

What happens to the imagery published with the editor - will they remain published or do I need to republish them through the app?
All imagery published through the editor will remain published on Maps. We’re working on having the same imagery available in your contribution page, although this will happen in stages. We’ll be keeping you updated on the timeline, but during the migration, imagery will still be available on Google Maps.

How will the imagery I have published with the editor appear in Google Maps? Who will the image be attributed to?
360 photos will look exactly the same and be discoverable in the same places. The imagery will be attributed to the account that published the imagery, and if the tour was published before Sept 2015, it will also show attribution to the business owner. If the tour was published after Sept 2015, the photographer will be responsible for transferring the rights, if needed, to the business within the Street View App.

What will happen to my connected tours and will click-to-go exist?
Connected tours will maintain their connections and we’re working on improving the click-to-go experience for tours published through the Street View Editor.

Will imagery published through the Street View editor be available for edits, rights transfer etc. in the SV app?
Yes, imagery published through Street View editor will be editable in the Street View app or publish API. We’re still working on the specific timeline to migrate your data, but we will keep this channel updated as it is defined.

Who owns the Intellectual Property for platforms or tools created using the Street View Publish API?
Please read the terms carefully at https://developers.google.com/terms/. Google does not retain any IP for the platforms third-party developers create. Please read the terms carefully, specifically section 5 on the submission of content.

Does the Street View Publish API support the creation of multi-floor mode, hotel-mode, or island-mode?
The first version of the API will not have these features, but we are aiming to have something that will replace multi-floor in subsequent versions.

Will it have any limitation of the number of panoramas that we can publish?
We do not intend to limit the publishing of legitimate content. As with all Google APIs, we will enforce quotas to limit spam, but will be able to increase quotas for frequent users. We will publish the default quota values in our API documentation after we work with our beta developers to understand usage patterns.

Using the API, will I be able to add 360 photos to a tour previously published from the Street View editor?
Yes. We’ll be migrating your contributions so that they will be available in your Street View app published contributions profile. You will then have the possibility to edit imagery previously published through the editor.

What’s happened to the Maps uploader that was discussed at the summit in Amsterdam?
The Maps uploader has been replaced by the Street View Publish API that will allow you to create a platform to publish, position, and connect 360 photos. It is already possible to upload single 360 photos to maps through the uploader, but these cannot be connected there (you must then connect them via the Street View app or any upcoming 3rd-party editor).

How can we request deletion of tours published through the Street View editor after it’s deprecation?
If you are the owner of the imagery — and only after the data migration — you will be able to remove the imagery directly using your contributors profile in the Street View app. Imagery removal requests can also be logged using the Report a Problem link in Maps.

Will there be ‘See Inside’ when we publish with the app/API, and what’s going on with it?
In our previous interface design, See Inside, Street View, and Photos were represented by three distinct image buckets. This has proven to be a confusing and unnecessary distinction for our users because See Inside is often showing exterior views, Street View is often not on streets, and photos are often actually 360 photos. Thus, we are moving away from distinguishing 360 photos with the “See Inside” language and are now showcasing 360 imagery on it’s own visible tab in the photos gallery, both on mobile and on desktop.

Will I be able to select a primary image for a tour published through the API? In the Street View editor, we could select the thumbnail, and our clients enjoy this functionality.
There is currently no ability to select a primary image when using our new generation of products, including the Street View app and Publish API. Primary (entry point) images are selected automatically using an image quality algorithm. Furthermore, the prevailing direction among our next-gen user interfaces generally negates the need for specified entry points.