Some very basic questions about resolution  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Panotour 2.0+ problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
jimbee

Topic author
Liked in: 13 posts
Info

Some very basic questions about resolution

by jimbee » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:10 pm

To this point for our 360 panoramas we've been using a 15mm lens on our Canon DSLR. With the FOV we've set the panos typically are consisting of 24 images to stitch in Giga. Works great.

What's not clear to me is what would be the advantages, or disadvantages of using, say a fisheye type lens? Less images of course but wouldn't the final output be lower resolution as well? By the same token using a 100mm to capture the same scene would require MANY more images to stitch in Giga, but how would Panotour handle that large a file?

Also, if we were to take, for example, three separate 360 panoramas-- one using a fisheye, another using a 15mm, and the third a 100mm, what happen if all three were a part of one single Panotour?

Annis
Kolor Team

Liked in: 444 posts
Info

Re: Some very basic questions about resolution

by Annis » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:41 am

They would each have different resolutions, meaning different detail level and more or less zoomable (by default).

I unfortunately don't have any comparative tour for you for those cases, the most I have is the comparison between the 1rst gen ricoh theta (2 fisheyes) and a dlsr, but already from that you can see the resolution and detail difference , so you can extrapolate from that for other lenses. ;)

http://www.kolor.com/virtual-tours-file ... a-vs-dslr/

no avatar
jimbee

Topic author
Liked in: 13 posts
Info

by jimbee » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:00 am

Those are great examples Annis and really clearly shows the difference between the two approaches. Thanks much! What lens were you using on the D800?

Also, I really like the drop-down menu for navigation. Could you briefly describe how you did that?

Annis
Kolor Team

Liked in: 444 posts
Info

by Annis » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:32 am

The menu at the top is a panorama menu, I don't know if there was any editing of the generated tour though.

I unfortunately don't have the exact setup used, all I'm given is that it was a Sigma Fisheye lens, on the R1 nodal ninja panoramic head.