WordPress Installation on Local Computer- Conflict?  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Panotour 2.0+ problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
PSikes

Topic author
Liked in: 4 posts
Info

WordPress Installation on Local Computer- Conflict?

by PSikes » Sun May 15, 2016 8:51 pm

Hello, I am beginning to set up Wordpress on my computer (Windows 8 platform), using something called Microsoft Web Platform Installer, in order to do some development. In the Wordpress set up guide, I encountered the following set of instructions, which made me pause. The very last sentence bothers me (in bold,underlined). Don't I need to be able to use localhost in order to use the PTP viewer on my computer, while working on my tours? Will this installation prohibit that from working?

Easy 5 Minute WordPress Installation on Windows
Download, install, and configure WordPress with the Microsoft Web Platform Installer (Web PI). Installation is very easy and takes on average about 5 minutes to complete. For other Windows installers, check this section.

Step 1. Things you need to know before starting
These steps will work on Windows versions which include IIS, such as Windows XP professional, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows Server.
You must be able to install programs on your machine (i.e. have administrator rights).
Once Web PI is installed, neither XAMPP nor any other web server will be able to use localhost to host a website locally on your machine.

Thanks,
Peter

gkaefer

Liked in: 15 posts
Info

Re: WordPress Installation on Local Computer- Conflict?

by gkaefer » Mon May 16, 2016 10:24 am

have a look here:
viewtopic.php?f=92&t=21812&p=139246&hilit=default+port#p139246
to be honest I dont know if the actual ptp version runs the same webserver port...
... but you can test it with "view the last tour" button.
your're save as long as ptp does not run its internal webserver on default webserverport 80 (webserver worldwide us port 80, in fact if you surf http://www.kolor.com/ you defacto use port 80 http://www.kolor.com:80 ) or internal webservers normal run with ports 81 or 8080....

you can install as many webservers locally as you want, but each one must be reachable with an unique address:
1. this can be done by using different ports, port 80, 81, 82....up to 65535
2. or running your NICs with different/multiple IPadresses, so 2 webservers can be available on different iPs but with same Port 80
PTP internally does not use Port 80 nore 443 (for https)... so you should be save not having any conflicts...

no avatar
PSikes

Topic author
Liked in: 4 posts
Info

Re: WordPress Installation on Local Computer- Conflict?

by PSikes » Mon May 16, 2016 11:41 am

Thank you. I'll give it a try. At least now I know how to solve the conflict, if it exists.