Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:19 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:52 am 

We are adding skies to panoramas produced by giga. We put the panoramas with the new sky into PanoTour Pro and we always get a very visible line when the 360 is produced. We have also tried splitting skies, so they match up perfectly (taking sky from the middle and placing it on either side) - and even this technique results in a light and dark band either side of the seam.

Greatly appreciate any help, as this is a dealbreaker for us.

Thanks Rick

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:23 am 

Rick66 wrote:
We are adding skies to panoramas produced by giga. We put the panoramas with the new sky into PanoTour Pro and we always get a very visible line when the 360 is produced. We have also tried splitting skies, so they match up perfectly (taking sky from the middle and placing it on either side) - and even this technique results in a light and dark band either side of the seam.

Greatly appreciate any help, as this is a dealbreaker for us.

Thanks Rick

What software are you using to add the sky?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:33 am 

Hi there. We use Photoshop CC to insert the sky, replacing the old sky, using a custom selection process etc.

I've even tried adding a perfect gradient sky via photoshop, and still, the seam generated is very visible, even though, obviously, a gradient should present no seam whatsoever. It is as if PanoTour is adding contrast each side of the 'join', a thin highlight, and a thin shadow when joining the sky or gradient at each end of the pano (when generating/building) the 360 tour.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:22 pm 
Administrator

Do you have some ressources to send us for test ?
Panotour use jpeg compression. Try to change the value into the 'Build' tab.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:56 pm 

Rick66 wrote:
Hi there. We use Photoshop CC to insert the sky, replacing the old sky, using a custom selection process etc.

I've even tried adding a perfect gradient sky via photoshop, and still, the seam generated is very visible, even though, obviously, a gradient should present no seam whatsoever. It is as if PanoTour is adding contrast each side of the 'join', a thin highlight, and a thin shadow when joining the sky or gradient at each end of the pano (when generating/building) the 360 tour.

From my own efforts to compose skies on panos i can say: it´s almost impossible to do as long as you go over the borders.
Try to do it in a way NOT manipulating close to the borders but stay in the existing surrounding and keep away from the borders.

This works fine usually.

I also tried to edit skies on the cube-faces by composing them using the very same values for color and tone-range.

Try this: make a sky which is much bigger than the stitch, put it on a layer above the stitch so that it covers the whole stitch while keeping
THE VERY SAME values for color and tonerange on ALL three sides of the equi. ONLY THEN you can avoid having visible seams.

Of course that only works having not too complicated clouds . . . but here you additionally can try to retouch in te cubefaces (but mind the borders =D )

best and good luck, klaus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:35 pm 

Thank you. To confirm, are you saying to place a much larger sky and place it into the panorama (as a final step before running Panotour?)

Thank you

klausesser wrote:
Rick66 wrote:

From my own efforts to compose skies on panos i can say: it´s almost impossible to do as long as you go over the borders.
Try to do it in a way NOT manipulating close to the borders but stay in the existing surrounding and keep away from the borders.

This works fine usually.

I also tried to edit skies on the cube-faces by composing them using the very same values for color and tone-range.

Try this: make a sky which is much bigger than the stitch, put it on a layer above the stitch so that it covers the whole stitch while keeping
THE VERY SAME values for color and tonerange on ALL three sides of the equi. ONLY THEN you can avoid having visible seams.

Of course that only works having not too complicated clouds . . . but here you additionally can try to retouch in te cubefaces (but mind the borders =D )

best and good luck, klaus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:36 pm 

benji33 wrote:
Do you have some ressources to send us for test ?
Panotour use jpeg compression. Try to change the value into the 'Build' tab.

Yes, please let me know where to send it. I can send the panos we used that had a seam when complete

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:39 pm 

Here is the pano with identical clouds at either end (split then moved to match at the ends). This still produces a visiable seam. Please ignore the rough selection. it is a very quick test

Attachments:
360clouds.jpg
360clouds.jpg [ 2.38 MiB | Viewed 216 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:43 pm 

Here is another with a gradient used, and this also produces a seam, even though it is a perfect gradient, with the same tones/colours at either end

Attachments:
Gradient360.jpg
Gradient360.jpg [ 2.38 MiB | Viewed 216 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:01 pm 

Here are the files generated from the first pano (skies matching at corners) - the seam is clearly visible

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qfsucqo7k45d ... sc2-XsZ2aa

EDIT: I have now retouched the cube faces. It took a few extra minutes, but pretty quick fix, editing around 4 images

Last edited by Rick66 on Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:21 pm 

Rick66 wrote:
Thank you. To confirm, are you saying to place a much larger sky and place it into the panorama (as a final step before running Panotour?)

No - of course not! I meant the use of layers in Photoshop.

Klaus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:24 pm 

Rick66 wrote:
Here is another with a gradient used, and this also produces a seam, even though it is a perfect gradient, with the same tones/colours at either end

As long as the gradient isn´t solid it´s logic getting seams. On the upper border it isn´t solid.
on the side borders it´s hard to say.

Try retouching the cube-faces!

Klaus

P.S.: can you show an example as pano?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:29 pm 

Thank you. Yes, retouching the affected cube face will work.

It is a quick fix for this issue. Just tested now, and of course, looks fine now.

I have actually retouched the cube faces on the dropbox link

I still am a little unsure of why the joins were exaggerated in contrast upon the intial stitch however. Is PanoTour adding in contrast on the stitch when it detects lighter objects/images? The seam in the darker, non-sky area, does not show.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:55 pm 
Administrator

Problem is not Panotour but really into your images.

Control into Panotour like this :
- Simply add 360 Clouds or Gradient 360 into Panotour.
- Select the panorama
- And into the Hotspot editor, use Pan to drag the panorama.
= Your sky problem is visible into the source image.
Attachment:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG [ 169.77 KiB | Viewed 182 times ]

So for 360 images don't forget that Photoshop or other software don't know about 360° and junction of the image borders. So gradient, blur etc ... provide these kind of results.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:59 pm 

You can make sure that the edges of the equirectangular have the exact color values following this method from Florian Knorn https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tryeda1 ... 5Hk5CIVv3Q