Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:33 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:02 pm 

Hi all

Could someone say something more specific about quality, when building tours. I cannot find anything about it in the manual.
I want small files and superb quality :o)

Tried quality 4 and 10 and there was very little difference (zoomed in at 100%) (see attatch).
In the build tab the "multiresolution" is on. Is that going to alter anything?

...or should I just choose quality 4 and be happy?

Best regards
Jesper Frehr
http://www.virtuelledanmark.dk

Attachments:
4-and-10.png
4-and-10.png [ 300.39 KiB | Viewed 188 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:48 pm 

ccc23444 wrote:
I want small files and superb quality :o)

Size and quality are relative concepts but small size plus superb quality are typically not simultaneously achiiveable.

In the build tab the "multiresolution" is on. Is that going to alter anything?

[/quote]
It depends what pixel resolution your source pano images have.

Selecting multiresolution will increase the total size of the files comprising the tour.

OTIH if you have high res. input images multi-res. will allow people viewing the tour to zoom in a lot more.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:05 pm 

Well Jesper, if you can use Vector graphics that's the best but you cannot use vector with html5, it has to be a bitmap.. A vector graphic is built on maths, its infinity.. There are no pixel.. A bitmap is just that.. One pixel is a bit of computer information. So the more you have in the the image the better the quality but.. if you only need the graphic for computer display then you use a max of 96ppi.. or dpi... There are some very high rez monitors that can view greater than 96 but on the whole most cannot view more than this.. For many years is used to be 72dpi... There is not much difference so you can still set your graphic to this..

The thing is.. You do not need 100% to view on a monitor, 80 is very good but you can get away with 70 but I would never set it to lest then 60dpi... dpi is dots per inch and ppi is pixel per inch.. As far as I understand it, they are the same.. One is a monitor and the other is a print term... Most bubble jet printers print dpi but its really an interpretation its not a fact since dpi is a laser printer feature..

Here are some test cards.... You can see that 60% would be acceptable but as soon as the graphic is optimised more, which is rally the removal of colours and you can see the graphic quality deteriorate.. This will help understand.... Often it will depend on the graphic and how it has be crated... A photo you can optimise more but a scanned image tends to deteriorate more when optimised... A graphic you have created from Vector and saved as a bitmap you can get away with a lot more optimising, perhaps as low as 40%.. You can turn a Vector into a bitmap but you cannot turn a bitmap into Vector.. When possible I use Vector then save as a 24bit png for the web.. unless I do not need any transparencies in the graphic, I then just use an 8bit png....

Destiny..

Attachments:
graphiccard.jpg
graphiccard.jpg [ 281.54 KiB | Viewed 179 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:36 pm 

ccc23444 wrote:

Hey Jasper!

I always suggest to render as 16bit/TIFF, work it over in Photoshop and add a moderate "selective sharpener", import it into PTP and there set JPG to 7 or 8 max.
This gives you a moderate amount of data, speedy load and good quality.

Nevertheless the folder to put on your server will be around 150-300MB, depending on the amount of pixels, of course.

See two examples here:
http://www.360impressions.de/Klap (deep zoom on Android-Tabs also) done with a Canon 5D2 and 35mm Nikon prime. About 35000px width.
http://www.360impressions.de/Medienhafen (deep zoom on Android-Tabs also) done with a Canon 5D2 and 85mm Nikon prime.
About 87000px width.

In the meantime i use a D800 and D800E - the resolution is + 1.6 (have no example ready at this state which i can show - but it´s
real great).

Klaus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:20 pm 

Hey Klausesser

That is actually my workflow :)
A Canon 6D fullframe with a 8-15mm Canon Fisheye @15mm gives me a panosize 13800x6900.
OK - I'll hold it at quality 7 then.

With your impressive 87000px (motorized huh?) multiresolution is OK. But I will make a test whether it will give my users a WOW.

Best regards
Jesper Frehr
http://www.virtuelledanmark.dk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:32 pm 

WOW! Klaus with prime lenses at that mm I am with Jasper, you must be using a motorized unit. Would love to know which one you are using. I am still a big time newbie but will be adding one in about 6 months. Have not started doing research yet. Excellent work!

klausesser wrote:
ccc23444 wrote:

Hey Jasper!

I always suggest to render as 16bit/TIFF, work it over in Photoshop and add a moderate "selective sharpener", import it into PTP and there set JPG to 7 or 8 max.
This gives you a moderate amount of data, speedy load and good quality.

Nevertheless the folder to put on your server will be around 150-300MB, depending on the amount of pixels, of course.

See two examples here:
http://www.360impressions.de/Klap (deep zoom on Android-Tabs also) done with a Canon 5D2 and 35mm Nikon prime. About 35000px width.
http://www.360impressions.de/Medienhafen (deep zoom on Android-Tabs also) done with a Canon 5D2 and 85mm Nikon prime.
About 87000px width.

In the meantime i use a D800 and D800E - the resolution is + 1.6 (have no example ready at this state which i can show - but it´s
real great).

Klaus