How to get best video quality  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Panotour 2.0 problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
pgielen

How to get best video quality

by pgielen » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:37 am

Combining video with panoramas is exiting and new to me. I got LivePano to work, but was dissappointed by the poor video quality of my Nikon D90, compared to the good still picture quality it offers when making panoramas. The video looks blurred even if it should be HD. Maybe I need a new camera after all these years. I will be visiting the Nikon stand on the Professional Imaging fair in the Netherlands next Sunday, and take a look at some new models. The D7100 looks nice.

Before buying however, I'd like to know what to look for if filming with a DSLR with Fisheye lens. Just to get an idea, I am wondering what camera is used to create the Cha Dian and restaurant examples here on the Kolor website?

Destiny

Re: How to get best video quality

by Destiny » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:21 am

Hi.. Poor video quality has nothing to do with the Nikon D90... I have one too.. Its to due to the lossy of the video.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lossy_compression The more you optimise the video the the worse the quality gets.. The mistake many make with video is to optimise too early.. You should only optimise after you have finessed all editing.. You should never optimise more than once... The way video is played will depend on the CODEC, 'compression decompression'.. The normal rule is, the longer it takes to compress, the quicker it will take to decompress so this is good.. The type of CODEC used is critical to the quality of video out put.... The size off video is not important IF you uses streaming options... With LivePano however, its still early days so the quality will never be perfect.. It is only output as an MP4, with no streaming option either.. Cleaver coding will be the answer to getting this issues resolved...

Destiny..

pgielen

by pgielen » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:59 am

Destiny wrote:Its to due to the lossy of the video..

The D90 does not allow me to change the video compression codec for in-camera recording. This poses another question: should I record to an external hdmi recorder in stead of in the camera?
I think however the fact that the D90 can not record full HD has also got something to do with quality. If I want to cram all the data of a fisheye image into a half HD (1280x720 pixels) movie and combine that with 12MP still images to make a panorama, I guess I can't ask for sharp results.

However, the examples here on the Kolor website look good. So that is why I was wondering how they were recorded.

Pierre

Destiny

by Destiny » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:56 am

Its not just the camera.. its the lens too... If you use a 50mm prime the quality is really nice.. or at least better than the standard lens that comes with it.. Any prime will produce a little sharper video.. You have a few setting options in the camera too.. The compression is done in post editing either using software or you can convert via the web encoders..

Destiny..

pgielen

by pgielen » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:26 pm

Destiny wrote:If you use a 50mm prime the quality is really nice.

The whole idea is to integrate a video within the panorama, to make a part of the panorama come alive. You can't switch to another lens in between.

Return to Using Panotour / Panotour Pro