Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:07 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Slow building in 2.1
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:32 pm 

Hey there all,

I just want to see if I am missing something, I was very impressed by the speed at which 2.1 loads but now the time that it saves to load the panos in the beginning is now being added to the building time so there is no save at all, right and if so what is the point?

I understand that there is the option of excluding some panos on a build which will then help but I have never added a pano to a project I did not want to have built into the tour?

Post subject: Re: Slow building in 2.1
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:41 pm 

netline wrote:
Hey there all,

I just want to see if I am missing something, I was very impressed by the speed at which 2.1 loads but now the time that it saves to load the panos in the beginning is now being added to the building time so there is no save at all, right and if so what is the point?

I understand that there is the option of excluding some panos on a build which will then help but I have never added a pano to a project I did not want to have built into the tour?

You say that you saw the enhancement at loading time.
So that means you open projects already saved with 2.1 version.
Did you build those projects previously ?
If yes, then a new build should not take long. And the build time should be equivalent as before.
If no, then a build should take the same time as it does with a previous version of PTP.

Can you estimate the difference of build speed?

Gérald

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 10:19 am 

I have exactly the same issue.

I created a tour in V2.0 and it opens in 2.1 slightly faster, but not so fast as to make much difference in things.

The tour has twenty one scenes, and building now takes an age, even using an I7, with 12gb Ram. I added a nadir patch to all the scenes and so far it's been building for about 15 minutes and is only at 26%. During this time my pc has been almost unusable as it is so slow.

This is not just a minor inconvenience, it is a major issue, that is seriously undermining the usefulness of V2.1. and needs addressing.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 3:15 pm 

Andrew Lyons wrote:

I created a tour in V2.0 and it opens in 2.1 slightly faster, but not so fast as to make much difference in things.

The tour has twenty one scenes, and building now takes an age, even using an I7, with 12gb Ram. I added a nadir patch to all the scenes and so far it's been building for about 15 minutes and is only at 26%. During this time my pc has been almost unusable as it is so slow.

This is not just a minor inconvenience, it is a major issue, that is seriously undermining the usefulness of V2.1. and needs addressing.

Not always it is the loading faster in 2.1 but sometimes it does fly. I guess they took my suggestion about it*

When generating a tour there are now options to mark which panos should be done and which not. For me that is to risky, I prefer to generate everything. I am generating a tour of 25 panorames of size 400 mb each and yes it can take up to 10 minutes. As i work from my living room there is enough other stuff to do in the meantime.... ;-)

* viewtopic.php?f=92&t=21755&sid=73ce0911a1edc49fdec9ecd1e8df6680#p138872

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:45 am 

Andrew Lyons wrote:

1 - When you save your project, do you have a myproject.cache file generated ? (where myproject is your project file name)

2 - When you reopen your project, are your panorama loaded in High Resolution or in Low Resolution ?
http://www.autopano.net/wiki-en/action/view/Panotour_Pro_2_-_Tour_-_Hotspot_editor#THE_LOW_AND_HIGH_RESOLUTION

The build time should be identical as with previous version, except if you got a bug with the database used to know which files were generated.
This database is in the "*.cache" file.
If you do not have it, or if its usage fails, then every tile will be re-generated. So yes, a re-build will take longer than a re-build with previous version.

3 - On which OS are your running Panotour ?

4 - Which path did you enter as Build directory ?

If you are on Windows, or on MacOS, and if you try to build a tour on a network directory, using a SAMBA syntax, then a build will re-build all the tiles.
Panotour supports only OS syntax for build directory.

Gérald

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:06 pm 

Hi Gerald

1) Yes, the cache file is there.

2) They are loaded in low resolution.

3) Windows 8

4) it's a local directory on my laptop. All the files relating to the build are in the same sub directory (the PTP project file, the cache, the index html file and the index data directory).

I've just changed the nadir patch on one of the pano's to force a re-build of the tiles, and this worked OK. Took about 10 - 15 seconds, and only re built did the affected scene.

Must have been something that just happened the first time I did it in 2.1

I'll keep monitoring the situation and let you know if it happens again.

Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:56 am 

Same issue here> I just downloaded the latest version and while the projects load quicker, the builds (incremental) take at least 2-3 times longer. What used to be a couple of seconds now is about 10-13 seconds. Even when I don't make any changes and press build it takes that long.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:43 am 

ERR wrote:
Same issue here> I just downloaded the latest version and while the projects load quicker, the builds (incremental) take at least 2-3 times longer. What used to be a couple of seconds now is about 10-13 seconds. Even when I don't make any changes and press build it takes that long.

A longer build for the first build is normal.
Next builds should take same time as before.

Do they also take longer ?

Remember that you should save your project once the tour is built.
When saving the project we will save also which tiles are alredy built.

Gérald

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:10 pm 

Quote:
A longer build for the first build is normal.
Next builds should take same time as before.

Do they also take longer ?

Remember that you should save your project once the tour is built.
When saving the project we will save also which tiles are alredy built.

Gérald

Sorry I have been out on a shoot in the middle of nowhere and only got back now to reply.

Ok yes I know first build will always take long but this is what happens

When I re open the Virtual Tour project it opens in a few seconds which is flippen awesome! What now happens though is if I decide to make a change within the Virtual Tour project (like rename a pano) and I click build it first wants to load all of the panos to high res and then starts the build. Very frustrating!!!

Another thing, your "notify me when a reply is posted" is not working on this forum.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 6:55 pm 

netline wrote:
Another thing, your "notify me when a reply is posted" is not working on this forum.

It does for me, so could it be something to do with your account settings?

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:42 pm 

same problem here.

A cache file is created but still the tour (more than 50 Panos) builds ALL the panos again, even if i changed only a title.
In another tour I have only about 1/3 of the Panos get build again, even if I changed only the title.

So making changes and checking how they look takes ages.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 7:40 pm 

mattkay wrote:
same problem here.

A cache file is created but still the tour (more than 50 Panos) builds ALL the panos again, even if i changed only a title.
In another tour I have only about 1/3 of the Panos get build again, even if I changed only the title.

So making changes and checking how they look takes ages.

From working with previous versions I have learned first to get the look and feel exactly like I want by using just one or two panoramas and only when that is perfect start loading larger numbers of panoramas.
Also, even though we can now choose from multiple options, I always select the option to generate everything. I might be slower but I feel more certain that everything is really uptodate and errors are really an error and not caused by partiall build. Maybe it helps to do the whole project on one or more SSD's .