Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:33 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:30 pm 

So my host (bluehost.com) only allows a certain number of files per account. (200,000). I am putting together a tour that will have approximately 50 panoramas. Each of these 360 panoramas are incredibly high in resolution (approx 50,000px wide). I have a sneaking suspicion that these will exceed the 200,000 file limit once the files are split up and uploaded to the server. (I have another 25 panoramas that are part of smaller tours too for a total of approx 75 panoramas.)

Is there a way to stitch together multiple tours so that they are seamless going from one to another? In particular, I want to do this via the wordpress plugin. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:47 pm 

pollarda wrote:
So my host (bluehost.com) only allows a certain number of files per account. (200,000). I am putting together a tour that will have approximately 50 panoramas. Each of these 360 panoramas are incredibly high in resolution (approx 50,000px wide). I have a sneaking suspicion that these will exceed the 200,000 file limit once the files are split up and uploaded to the server. (I have another 25 panoramas that are part of smaller tours too for a total of approx 75 panoramas.)

Is there a way to stitch together multiple tours so that they are seamless going from one to another? In particular, I want to do this via the wordpress plugin. Thoughts?

How will that help with the 200K files limitation?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:58 pm 

Oops. I should have been more clear. By splitting up a large tours into smaller ones I hope to be able to split the big tour over multiple servers. This would let me put up to 200,000 files on each server.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:43 pm 

pollarda wrote:
Oops. I should have been more clear. By splitting up a large tours into smaller ones I hope to be able to split the big tour over multiple servers. This would let me put up to 200,000 files on each server.

You really should get yourself a better provider. Saves you from a lot of problems. I have about a 50-60 tours running at my provider and adding every month, no problem at all, even get an extra GB each year for free.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:20 am 

Quote:
You really should get yourself a better provider. Saves you from a lot of problems. I have about a 50-60 tours running at my provider and adding every month, no problem at all, even get an extra GB each year for free.

Godaddy have a limit of 250,000 files on their web hosting services, they say move to a Virtual Private Server to get unlimited.

iPage say there is no limit on the number of files on their web hosting service, although I wonder whether there is a performance issue with large numbers of files if you do not have a VPS?

It would be useful to hear from others about their experience with different providers.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:56 am 

I just did a quick check. I built a 6 panorama tour of East Bay Logistics which is a cocoa warehouse I use to store the cocoa we use at my factory (http://www.amanochocolate.com ). In case someone wants to see it, the temp location for the tour is here:

http://test.amanochocolate.com/tours/eb ... stics.html

The tour contains as I mentioned 6 panoramas and this means:

* 738MB
* 20,275 Files
* 69 Folders
* Each panorama in the tour generates 3379 files and 12 folders

So with my 200,000 file limit that means I can use approximately 60 panoramas on the server before the server is full. One person mentioned GoDaddy having a 250,000 file limit. That's great. That means given my file usage I can store 14 more panoramas before I'm out of space. This is good -- except that it just delays the problem. What I'd love to do is to be able to link the panoramas together so I can put as many as I can on a server then get another server to hold more. (BlueHost.com costs only $5.00/mo and their customer service is top notch. Plus their local which is cool though it doesn't matter much as I've never been there.)

It would be great to be able to link tours and make it seamless. Again, is this possible?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:38 am 

pollarda wrote:
It would be great to be able to link tours and make it seamless. Again, is this possible?

You can link tours together, using deep linking, but it won't be seamless and all the files relating to any one tour would (I think) have to be on the same server.

http://www.autopano.net/wiki-en/action/ ... ur_Pro_.3F

Personally I don't really understand the desire to create tours with many tens or hundreds of panos/scenes.

I doubt anyone is ever going to be willing to plough through such a tour and navigation design becomes quite challenging if such a tour is to be at all useable.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:08 pm 

Well, I'm not looking at doing hundreds of scenes in the tour but, the current one uses about 50. There are approximately five areas where people can go. Most of these are fairly self explanatory so going from scene to scene should be fairly easy for people -- I think. The bigger problem comes down the road when I have lots of tours for lots of different areas. (I'll be putting together tours of some cocoa plantations for different countries.)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:11 pm 

pollarda wrote:
Well, I'm not looking at doing hundreds of scenes in the tour but, the current one uses about 50. There are approximately five areas where people can go. Most of these are fairly self explanatory so going from scene to scene should be fairly easy for people -- I think.
Then I would use 5 Groups to structure the tour...do yiou use groups?

Quote:
The bigger problem comes down the road when I have lots of tours for lots of different areas. (I'll be putting together tours of some cocoa plantations for different countries.)

So....perhaps create a hierarchy of tours with an overview tour - perhaps a single 'scene/map/menu' to link them? And keep each separate tour as small as possible, if only for ease of development and updating.