How to create single resolution mobile tours?  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Panotour 2.0+ problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
jschrader

Topic author
Liked in: 3 posts
Info

How to create single resolution mobile tours?

by jschrader » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:58 am

I made a test and checked the boxes as in the screenshot and was expecting to get a set of files that allow to show a single resolution panorama on multiple platforms.

To my surprise only one set of tiles was created at a cube face size of 3000+ px.
I don't have to tell you what that means.

So please, can someone direct me to how I can create a proper tour with single resolution tiles for all devices?
Attachments
tablet.png

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

Re: How to create single resolution mobile tours?

by mediavets » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:15 am

jschrader wrote:I made a test and checked the boxes as in the screenshot and was expecting to get a set of files that allow to show a single resolution panorama on multiple platforms.

To my surprise only one set of tiles was created at a cube face size of 3000+ px.

What were you expecting?

So please, can someone direct me to how I can create a proper tour with single resolution tiles for all devices?

Why would you wish to do that?

And what single resolution cube face do you think would work for all platforms?

no avatar
jschrader

Topic author
Info

by jschrader » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:25 am

Don't be silly.

If one checks mobile devices for tour creation one expects to get files that are working on mobile devices, no?

Single resolution tiles are essential if one wants to optimize time for file handling and upload. If you don't know what I'm talking about wait until you need to distribute a 30+ panorama tour for multiple recipients, that needs to be uploaded through slow connections.

mediavets wrote:
jschrader wrote:I made a test and checked the boxes as in the screenshot and was expecting to get a set of files that allow to show a single resolution panorama on multiple platforms.

What were you expecting?

Why would you wish to do that?

And what single resolution cube face do you think would work for all platforms?

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:35 am

jschrader wrote:Don't be silly.

Am I the 'silly' one here? People have been crying out for many months - nay years - for PTP to offer support for multi-res on mobiles, and now it does you don't want it. :rolleyes:

If one checks mobile devices for tour creation one expects to get files that are working on mobile devices, no?

Oh ... so not a single resolution for all platforms? - but several 'single resolutions' for several different platforms?

Or just one for non-mobiles and one for all mobiles?

Am I getting any close to understanding what it is you want?

Single resolution tiles are essential if one wants to optimize time for file handling and upload. If you don't know what I'm talking about wait until you need to distribute a 30+ panorama tour for multiple recipients, that needs to be uploaded through slow connections.

You've lost me again - in what scenario do you need "to distribute a 30+ panorama tour for multiple recipients, that needs to be uploaded through slow connections."

no avatar
jschrader

Topic author
Info

by jschrader » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:49 am

There are MANY reasons not to use multires panoramas.
But this is not the time and place to educate you.
If the developers don't know, I can convince them immediately :)

And I am not complaining, I just demand to get what PTP is offering to me and what is essential for tour creators.

I demand to have the option to create a multires tour OR a singleres tour that runs on mobile platforms as well. In the current RC1 this is a BUG.

I am not expecting to get one tile size for all, and you know that.
Please, Kolor check the proper behavior of the tour builder and bring back the 1024px tiles when the multires option is unchecked.

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:08 am

jschrader wrote:There are MANY reasons not to use multires panoramas.
If the developers don't know, I can convince them immediately :)

Go on then...I'm sure they are dying to know.

And I am not complaining, I just demand to get what PTP is offering to me and what is essential for tour creators.

If that's not complaining...what is it like when you do complain?

I demand to have the option to create a multires tour OR a singleres tour that runs on mobile platforms as well. In the current RC1 this is a BUG.

I am not expecting to get one tile size for all, and you know that.
Please, Kolor check the proper behavior of the tour builder and bring back the 1024px tiles when the multires option is unchecked.

How about telling us exactly what you do want and how you envisage it could be implemented, as opposed to telling us what you don't want?

no avatar
jschrader

Topic author
Info

by jschrader » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:13 am

It's all in the above.
Nothing has to be implemented.
I just want back what has been there from the beginning.

Previous versions of PTP2 created for mobile devices cube faces with 512 and 1024 px.
This is 12 files. Plus the ones for desktop, the total is 18 files for the image to upload.

When I now check to create a mobile tour without the mulitres option, no mobile tiles are created at all, which is a bug.

When the multires option is checked, I get a tour resulting of between 250 and 400+ files (per panorama!) depending on the original resolution and total file sizes for the panorama being 2 to 3 times as much.

All I'm asking for, is that PTP creates single resolution cube faces for mobile devices as it has done before. There is absolutely no need to remove this option. As for me the 512px faces can be skipped like krpano is doing since long.

bdd
Kolor Team

Info

by bdd » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:43 pm

We opened an issue on this single-resolution problem.
The fact that now multi-resolution is available on mobule should not have removed this option.
Gérald

no avatar
jschrader

Topic author
Info

by jschrader » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:51 pm

bdd wrote:The fact that now multi-resolution is available on mobule should not have removed this option.
Gérald

Haha, yes, that's my impression too :-)
At least you understand *thumbsup*.

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:17 pm

jschrader wrote:
bdd wrote:The fact that now multi-resolution is available on mobule should not have removed this option.
Gérald

Haha, yes, that's my impression too :-)
At least you understand *thumbsup*.

In this 'single-resolution' scenario - where would you specify the cube face size desired for non-mobile platforms?