Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:47 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:18 am 

Hi folks,
pls be so kind and explain what cutting size means? I just built a tour with 21 Panos and the tour has 850 MB. WOW! The resolution of one pano is about 20.000 x 10000 px.
Thank you!
Frank

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:55 am 

Hi Frank...

The cutting size is the size of the slices of images.. The smaller they are, the more folders are created.. Its works like Zoomify where only the area of the image at that zoom level is loaded rather than the entire pano which just would not work too well.. PTP for some reason defaults its cutting size at 1024 but I change this to the krpano default cutting size of 512.... The reason for this is so the size of the slices are smaller so the pano runs smother.. On a more powerful Mac than mine, you could set it to a bigger cutting size, but I always think of the end user... Others might have a less powerful computer than mine..

The downside of reducing the slice/cutting size are, there are many more image slices and folders created so it takes longer to upload.. The benefits are the pano will rotate much smoother and load quicker at each viewing point.. But, if you do get giggity pano rotation, there are other issues that make this happen.. Such as; out of whack pano ratio and too many polygons can also cause it...

Destiny..

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:29 pm 

Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:43 am 

Hi there
Can't find the Cutting Size setting in PTP2.0.0RC1's Projection Properties pane – where is it?
Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:47 am 

It was changed for some reason to JPG Quality.. 12 being the highest and seldom used.. 7,8,9 would probably be used by most.. I personally use 10.. Which is medium to high quality. I personally like cutting size..

Destiny..

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:58 am 

gadonz wrote:
Hi there
Can't find the Cutting Size setting in PTP2.0.0RC1's Projection Properties pane – where is it?
Thanks

The Cutting size parameter does not exist in PTP 2 RC1.

The default, and now fixed, tile size is 512 in RC1 as per latest recommendation for the krpano Viewers.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:35 pm 

Destiny wrote:
It was changed for some reason to JPG Quality.. 12 being the highest and seldom used.. 7,8,9 would probably be used by most.. I personally use 10.. Which is medium to high quality. I personally like cutting size..

Between 7 and 9 there´s a remarkable difference in the data-amount. But almost invisible difference in image-quality.
So i prefer to use 7 and with delicate tone-ranges in the sky i use 8. What i think is important: preferably use TIFF images for import to PTP - they get compressed to JPG anyway.
Feeding JPGs means to feed already jpg-compressed images which get jpg-compressed again . . .

Klaus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:42 pm 

I assume you mean "optimised" rather than "compressed" so to reduce double jpg lossy..

Destiny...