Anybody practicing on the spot quick stitch ?  

All things panoramic.
An open forum for every topic on photography, panoramas, IT or related.
no avatar
GURL

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Anybody practicing on the spot quick stitch ?

by GURL » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:52 pm

Camera viewfinder is a hot subject of discussion. This is so important that the kind of viewfinder a camera have is used to decide which category it belongs to. Camera tests describe at length their size, brightness, accuracy. Etc, etc, etc.

For panoramas there is no equivalent, only guessing. This too often ends in frustrating results and regrets, "if I had known...".

As light computers of many sorts are now available and quite inexpensive (hand-held, tablet, netbook, laptop) I'm curious to know whether some Autopano users can stitch small panorama previews before they move to another shooting place and whether or not this is helpful for them.
Georges

spherorama

Info

by spherorama » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:04 pm

This is a phantastic idea. Transfer the files via WIFI to a tablet PC and do a preview. One could program some kind of interface to reduce the seize of the pictures to the absolute possible minimum in order to reduce the time for rendering the panorama to a minimum. An app for the iPhone would be nice.
Fuji Finepix S2. Fuji Finepix S5, Nikon D700, Pro Nikon D800, Novoflex Panohead VR System Pro, Samyang Fisheye 8mm shaved, Sigma 12-24mm, Nikkor 14-24 1:2,8 G ED, Nikon 35-70mm, Nikon 20 mm 1:2,8
Nikon 180mm 1:2,8, Nikon Macro 60 mm 1:2,8, Zeiss Hasselblad Tele Tessar 8/500 with adapter for Nikon, MK-PanoMachine 5.0 HS, GigaPan Epic Pro

[bo]

Info

by [bo] » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:50 pm

I'm always doing this when doing some pole work... it's because the camera is up the mast, but it's tethered via USB to a laptop on the ground level and I shoot via DSLR Remote. I usually do partial panos, 180 x 120 degrees at the most, so it's just a matter of seconds to drop the JPEG files on APP and get a quick preview.
Some of my panoramas, posted in the Autopano Pro flickr group.

Castillonis

Info

by Castillonis » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:19 am

At times I have my Acer 10.1 inch netbook with me, but I have never tried to stitch a panorama in the field. Though, I have downloaded the images to the netbook to examine the quality on a screen a few times. The most likely flaw I will make is poor focus. In fact I had a panorama that I captured this Sunday that had poor focus. If I am photographing a commercial job such as a resort view, golf course, etc, It would definitely be worth attempting to stitch the panorama as I may have traveled six hours by plane to reach my destination. I do have two licenses, so maybe I might install one of the licenses on a laptop or netbook.

Also, when I am traveling to capture panoramas, the time seems to pass so quickly. It is difficult to capture everything that I plan to photograph. Usually I do not finish everything I intended to accomplish. This is especially true if I am switching between types of capture. Large panorama, 360 panorama, macro, video, and sound. For me it is difficult to quickly switch between the types of photography. The large panoramas are the type that discourage me from trying to transfer all of the photos because of how slow the USB 2.0 interface transfers data from a compact flash memory card.

no avatar
Gordon

Info

by Gordon » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:46 am

I sometimes do partial stitches when in the field, just to check and make sure everything is as it should be...

Gordon
2000th Member :D

GigaPixel Experimenter
Gigapan Beta Unit, Canon Powershot S5IS, Canon 350D, Nikon D40, Manfrotto Tripod, BT-Serial + Papywizard on Nokia 770, Fully-Operational Merlin the Wizard Unit!!!