How to edit images beyond 300 000 x 300 000 pixels?  

All things panoramic.
An open forum for every topic on photography, panoramas, IT or related.
no avatar
urke

Topic author
Liked in: 2 posts
Info

How to edit images beyond 300 000 x 300 000 pixels?

by urke » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:08 am

As we surely will get there, and Autopano now has it's own file format for gigantic pictures, how is it possible to edit images beyond 300 000 x 300 000 pixels, the maximum Photoshop can handle? What is done with the Paris 20 gigapixel project?

Gimp?

Paul

Liked in: 0 post
Info

by Paul » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:42 am

my hope is that there is somebody who makes a smart tool to tile and reassemble those big pics
Paul

close, but no cigar ... ... ...

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Liked in: 10 posts
Info

by AlexandreJ » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:03 pm

Good point Urke.
Our approach is Paul's one : we are doing a tool to tile and untile the big image.
Then, we'll handle with care modification done in photoshop to be sure each filter or operation will be applied to all tile :
imagine we use the level tool : we need to apply the same level on every tile.

no avatar
urke

Topic author
Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by urke » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:15 pm

AlexandreJ wrote:we are doing a tool to tile and untile the big image.

Sounds like a good approach. Will you share this tool when it's ready?

DrSlony

Info

by DrSlony » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:33 pm

I was wondering, assuming you apply different curves to different tiles because that just looks better, and if you could check a box in AP to tell it that the images you are feeding it are tiles of a bigger image, there is no overlap but they match perfectly, something like a papywizard plugin, and then AP could work its magic to blend the differences caused by different curves settings...

Castillonis

Info

by Castillonis » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:02 pm

I have been retouching large panoramas by slicing them with the Gigatiler application with a size of 10k x 10k. My dilemma was how to assemble them. ImageMagick has the montage command, but I don't think it will be able to handle large images. I don't really have time to develop an application to do this, so I am glad to read that Kolor is thinking about how to do this.

One example that demonstrates a need for this capability is capturing the stadium of a football match and then compositing a smaller panorama taken at a lower focal length. The longer focal length panorama with a higher number of images captures details in the crowd of people attending the football match and the smaller panorama captures the actual positions of the players on the field at particular moment. I may take as few as three photographs to capture the team scoring a goal, but the crowd would be aproximately 600 to 700 photographs. Another thing that I do is mask different exposures for the sky, and field on the larger panorama to achieve a blue sky. Currently I can do this retouching for images that are about 0.6 gigapixels and I will be able to handle larger sizes when I switch to Windows 7 and increase the amount of memory in my machine.

Since I slice the image into smaller sizes, I am able to load more than one tile for things that span more than one tile. There is a compromise between too large of a tile that is tedious to edit in Photoshop and too small of a tile where everything spans more than one tile.

Google language tools translation

J'ai été retouche de larges panoramas par tranchage avec l'application Gigatiler avec une taille de
de 10k x 10k. Mon dilemme est de savoir comment les assembler. ImageMagick possède la commande de montage, mais je
ne pense pas qu'il sera en mesure de traiter de grandes images. Je n'ai pas vraiment le temps de développer une
demande de le faire, alors je suis heureux de lire que Kolor réfléchit sur la façon de le faire.

Un exemple qui démontre la nécessité pour cette fonctionnalité est la capture du stade de football
Match puis compositing un panorama plus petits prélevés à  une longueur focale inférieure. Plus de contact
Panorama longueur avec un nombre plus élevé de capture des images de détails dans la foule des participants
le match de football et le panorama petits capte les positions réelles des acteurs sur le
terrain au moment donné. Mai je prendre aussi peu que trois photographies de capturer l'équipe de marquer un
but, mais le groupe ne soit environ 600 à  700 photos. Une autre chose que je fais est
expositions masque différent pour le ciel, et de terrain sur le panorama plus vaste visant à  parvenir à  un ciel bleu.
Actuellement, je peux le faire retoucher des images qui sont d'environ 0,6 Gigapixels et je serai en mesure de
gérer des tailles plus grandes lorsque je passer à  Windows 7 et augmenter la quantité de mémoire de ma machine.

Depuis que je tranche l'image dans des tailles plus petites, je suis capable de charger plus d'une tuile pour des choses qui
s'étaler sur plus d'une tuile. Il existe un compromis entre une dose trop importante d'une tuile qui est fastidieux de
modifier dans Photoshop et trop petit d'une tuile où s'étend tout plus d'une tuile.
Last edited by Castillonis on Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Info

by AlexandreJ » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:24 am

Yes, we'll share this tool.

It will be an enhanced version of the gigatiler with tilling and untilling possibility in several format ( KRO included ).

Castillonis

Info

by Castillonis » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:45 am

Alexandre,

You made my day : ) Thank you

no avatar
Gordon

Info

by Gordon » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:16 am

Cool can't wait..
2000th Member :D

GigaPixel Experimenter
Gigapan Beta Unit, Canon Powershot S5IS, Canon 350D, Nikon D40, Manfrotto Tripod, BT-Serial + Papywizard on Nokia 770, Fully-Operational Merlin the Wizard Unit!!!

no avatar
digipano

Info

by digipano » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:17 am

Great concept but instead of tiling >processing>retiling it cant we make a smaller preview of the image & then process that image & when saving apply the changes to the larger version?

I remember that years ago there was a software in 90s which was supplied with drum scanners & I remember it used to open the 500mb files in few seconds & working was quite fast as it used to create a working preview of 3-5mbs & then saving used more time, it had an option to save actions made on smaller previews & then drop the large images to those action & go have your lunch or coffee.

If I am right the name of the software was either Lightpix or Livepix something like that, even Binuscan had one of such software doing the same thing.

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Info

by AlexandreJ » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:43 am

Yes digipano, that's a second option, but you have to scale the effect too. Example a gaussian blur with 10 radius on a 1/4 size is another gaussian blur ( radius 40 on the global image ). So you'll need to be able to scale all effects. A lot of job compared to extract and patching tool.

no avatar
globule22

Info

by globule22 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:30 pm

Yes, we'll share this tool.

is ther any release date available?

Thanks

Regards
http://www.photoglob.fr - Reportages panoramiques, photos de concerts, de Bretagne et d'ailleurs...
http://www.360ouest.com - 1ère Agence de photographies panoramiques sphériques en France