Requesting info on best camera for pano A700, D90  

All things panoramic.
An open forum for every topic on photography, panoramas, IT or related.
no avatar
IDPlease

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Requesting info on best camera for pano A700, D90

by IDPlease » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:25 pm

Hi guys, and gals

Currently looking to upgrade from my old Olympus E-410.

Right, the two current cameras in my sights is the Sony A700 or the Nikon D90.

Purpose .. Want to have wider choices when creating HDR.

Both cameras are nice, fully featured and quick.. but, id like some personal experiance from users of both when it comes to bracketing. My old Oly E-410 is only capable of doing 3 frames at -1+ giving 2 EV range :(

I see the Sony has updated the firmware to 1.4, which allows 3 or 5 frames at 2 EV steps giving a total range of 8EV, whilst the D90 only has a range of 4.

Ok, it's not rocket science to see here which has the most available, but as both cameras support active lighting, are there any real benifits to shooting 5 frames or 2 with the active lighting enabled, and if any, the performance hit of having said optiion enabled? as we all know, shooting brackted shoots in the wind (at least me and my Oly do) 3fps aint quick enough, hence one of the options for the upgrade.

All I want at the end of the day is great looking HDR's (single frame and obviously panoramic)

Thanks, any info small or large will be a great help to make it easier to choose.

Carl

no avatar
GURL

Info

by GURL » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:09 am

Active D-Lighing and equivalents are helpfull but, depending of the subject, can't always handle very hight contrast subjects. I switched from an Olympus E-330 to a Fuji S5 and enjoy the (4 EV) difference but still have to use bracketing sometimes...

What camera is good for shooting HDR images? Here is the HDRlabs Auto Exposure Bracketing settings by camera model list: http://www.hdrlabs.com/tools/autobracketing.html
Georges

Castillonis

Info

by Castillonis » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:12 am

If I was to buy a camera for HDR bracketing today, I would probably buy the Nikon D700 or the new Nikon D300s. I would also buy the Promote. The Promote would actually give a Canon camera capabilities beyond the Nikon camera controls, but I do not know an easy method of coupling that with a robot such as the Merlin / Orion. Perhaps they would offer a way to trigger their device electronically such as a simple Canon E3 trigger which Pentax DSLRs also use. Then you could just tell it to go for each position in the panorama without human intervention.

The Nikon D200, D300, D300s, D700, D3, and D3x allow you to shoot 2,3,5, and brackets with 0.3 EV, 0.7 EV and 1.0 EV separation. They also have some modes where the brackets are biased to the negative or positive side. This would allow you to easily couple the auto exposure bracketing with a robot such as the Merlin / Orion robot or other robot. It will also make exposure bracketing less prone to human error if you are using a manual panoramic head such as the Nodal Ninja 5 with a D16 rotator which give you very fine movements such as 3.5 degrees.

I already own the PanoCam which was a great investment. I would probably go with the Promote now due to the capability of bracketing below 1 second to 1/4000 of a second. What I have lacked while shooting with a Canon D700 is the ability to use EV separation of greater than 1.0 EV when I have a high contrast scene and the sun is setting. The promote would cover that. Also, the new Nikon D300s can shoot video which allows me to not carry a video camera if I want to integrate video from the scene using Autopano tour and krpano. If you need the higher resolution, then I would recommend using a Canon 5D mark II and a Promote or netbook and breeze browser DSLR remote Pro. Those extra pixels disappear if you need to shoot in low light. The Nikon D700 pulls ahead at ISO 3200 according to dpreview. ( what would I do without dpreview ;)

Google Language tools

Si je devais acheter un appareil photo pour HDR bracketing aujourd'hui, je ferais
probablement acheter le Nikon D700 ou le nouveau Nikon D300s. Je voudrais
également acheter le Promote. Promouvoir le serait effectivement donner un Canon
caméra au-delà  des capacités des commandes de caméra Nikon, mais je ne
ne pas savoir un moyen facile de couplant cela avec un robot, comme
le / Merlin Orion. Peut-être qu'ils offriraient un moyen de déclencher
leur appareil électronique comme un déclencheur simple E3 Canon
qui utilisent également des appareils reflex numériques Pentax. Alors vous pouvez lui dire de
aller pour chaque position dans le panorama de l'homme sans
intervention.

Le Nikon D200, D300, D300s, D700, D3, et D3x vous permettre de
shoot 2,3,5, et les tranches de 0,3 EV, 0,7 EV et de 1,0 EV
séparation. Ils ont également des modes où les crochets sont
biaisées du côté négatif ou positif. Cela vous donne
pour coupler facilement l'exposition avec bracketing auto avec un robot
tels que le Merlin / robot Orion ou autre robot. Il sera également
bracketing de l'exposition font moins sujettes à  l'erreur humaine si vous êtes
l'aide d'une tête panoramique manuelles telles que la Nodal Ninja 5, avec un
D16 coiffe qui vous donnent des mouvements très fines telles que 3,5
degrés.

Je possède déjà  le PanoCam qui a été un excellent investissement. Je
irait probablement à  l'Promouvoir maintenant en raison de la capacité
de bracketing en dessous de 1 seconde à  1 / 4000 de seconde. Ce que je
ont manqué lors du tournage d'un D700 de Canon est la capacité de
EV utiliser un séparateur de plus de 1,0 EV quand j'ai une grande
scène le contraste et le soleil se couche. La promotion serait
couvrir cela. En outre, le nouveau Nikon D300s qui peuvent tourner en vidéo
me permet pas d'effectuer une caméra vidéo si je veux intégrer
vidéo de la scène en utilisant Tour Autopano et KrPano. Si vous
besoin de la plus haute résolution, alors je recommande d'utiliser une
Canon 5D Mark II et un Promouvoir ou netbook et un navigateur brise
DSLR Remote Pro. Ces pixels supplémentaires disparaîtront si vous avez besoin pour
shoot en basse lumière. Le Nikon D700 tire en avant à  ISO 3200
selon dpreview. (Qu'est-ce que je ferais sans dpreview
Last edited by Castillonis on Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
IDPlease

Topic author
Info

by IDPlease » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:58 am

Great info, thanks.. both of you.

The use of external hardware / software for extended bracketing is worth looking at. But if im out and about, without tripod, most of the panos are handheld so extra hardware is less easy to use. I do like the D200, as have a play with one but they are hard to source (for the right price). Hence the orginal idea of the Sony A700 as its 5 frames 8 EV in 1 sec.

D700 and up are just out of my league, after all im just a budding camera user who dont have bottomless pockets.

Panocam looks intresting and shall look into it closer. Promote might not work with the sony, but it would with the D90 (but less EV if hand held).

Think i've answered my own question here, the sony (for me at least) is more practable in the field with out the need to lug around loads of kit.

I can read review sites all day, but it's all numbers and I really wanted a users view on either Sony A700 / Nikon D90 for HDR. The sony has impressive buffer for raw files, should i choose a panocam / promote (assuming they work with the sony)

Thanks

Carl

no avatar
IDPlease

Topic author
Info

by IDPlease » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:32 pm

I've gone and got the A700 in the end, got it at a stupid price so could not resist.

Just waiting for the battery to charge :( .. then i can update the firmware to 1.4 and enjoy EV -4 -2 0 +2 +4 AEB shooting .. all in a second! ..

Ok, it's not near half as fast as your lots setups, but for me its a big improvment from the E-410.

Thanks for the infos ..