Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:08 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:21 pm 

foundation: I guess our shooting methods vary, since I often diverge from my 'pattern', and then adapt my shots to this 'pattern' again only in post-processing. A few examples to clarify:
- shoot a 360 pano with my camera set on fixed-aperture, no bracketing, except for 1 or 2 tiles where I did bracket.
- shoot a pano and repeat a shot several times, either to remove tourists, or a passing plane, or because a strong wind nudged the tripod.
- focus stacking a few tiles from the whole pano.

In these cases I find that creating 1 directory per panorama manually is the best way for me. Although I love how AP can find matching photos in a large group, I find that it wouldn't do the job well here. I first sort my RAWs 1 dir per date and keyword, then 1 dir per panorama:
e.g. /photos/20091208 london/05/
Then I develop the RAWs to TIFF, backup the RAWs to external media and remove them, leaving just the intermediate TIFF files. I end up keeping only the finished JPG pano.

I guess it will be easier and possibly cheaper to get a 2TB disk for my RAWs instead of messing about with DVDs.

The latest unstable version of digiKam has some lovely features, a stable 1.0 should be out by the end of this year!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:52 pm 

DrSlony wrote:
Canon will not give away their RAW-code so every 3party RAW converter is just a guess

In my experience, this isn't necessarily the case. There is an SDK.

At one point, I thought I'd write a CR2 related utilty, and inquired of Canon if an SDK was available. I found them to be VERY cooperative about providing it (free ... and they notify me of updates). It turned out I didn't proceed with the utility (too much re-inventing the wheel), and didn't do more than a quick "hello world" with the SDK.

My experience is that Canon's DPP is very fast at handling CR2's (as expected). My speculation is that it would use this SDK.

Last edited by l_d_allan on Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:18 am 

I did not write that, I quoted that :]
Still, I never asked them for it so I don't know, but can you be sure they tell you everything, and that you're not bound by any licenses?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:21 am 

RawTherapee, a powerful cross-platform RAW development tool, went open source! A new version has been released, its better then the previous one, but it's still in its alpha stage, so it's not feature complete yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:23 pm 

Although it's been 18 months since the orginal post, I would like to thank Dr Slony and others for this post. Having started panoramic photography only 6 months ago, I was sort of frustrated by the results after having invested over a thousands euro's and many hours.
Now by using Raw therapee, I am leaping forward bigtime. Combined with the 2.5 version of autopano giga and licensed version of krpano everything looks so much better.
Thanks a lot people!!!!

I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:32 pm 

Probably the best raw converter in the world, for me. Only available for OS X.

RAW Developer
http://www.iridientdigital.com/products/rawdeveloper.html

Last edited by Sam on Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:46 am 

in my opinion, there are so many image programme on the web can work well in that formats. google is perfect for us.

Last edited by waybetter on Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.