paris 20 gigapixels?  

All things panoramic.
An open forum for every topic on photography, panoramas, IT or related.
no avatar
pns

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

paris 20 gigapixels?

by pns » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:31 pm

greetings!
whatever happened to the paris 20 gigapixel project? i thought it should have been shot last summer, but haven't heard anything in a while. did it happen? i'd like to read details about the head and, more generally, about how the shoot went. i suppose it is not stitched yet...
cheers,
pns

no avatar
snaefell

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by snaefell » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:55 pm

A quick search with Google showed the following site: http://www.paris-20-gigapixels.com/en/

no avatar
pns

Topic author
Info

by pns » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:01 pm

snaefell wrote:A quick search with Google showed the following site: http://www.paris-20-gigapixels.com/en/

thanx, i was aware of the site, but the last note is a couple months old. in july they said they were hoping to shoot in the summer of 2008. since kolor is listed as a partner, and alexandre has written about it before, i was (still am!) hoping to get a more recent update.

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Liked in: 10 posts
Info

by AlexandreJ » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:06 am

Yes, we are a bit late on the project because of weather conditions.
During last 2 months, not a single week-end had good weather conditions in Paris.
Since October we are making each Friday a weather point to see if we go to Paris or not. Yesterday, we were a bit hesitating because the sky is quite clear but it is so cold that for the people, it will be really a nightmare ( In France, it's really cold for the moment, beyond average temperature ). We'll decide today if we still try the shooting this week-end or not.
Arnaud Frich, the photograph, is the one that will say : go or not. I'm not good enough to estimate if the weather will be just good or perfect. As we want not a good picture but an awesome one, we want the perfect day. The best month are just coming : January, February, or March. It's becoming tol be the good time.
When doing such a project, it's important, not to jump on every occasion, but know to wait to the real one. We cannot just try and try again, because on the tower, we will be around 10 peoples : photographer, our tech team, TV peoples, journalists. Having everybody coming to the tower many time is not an option.

So everyone is waiting here for the good moment. We are ready since 3 months ... finger crossed for good weather conditions soon :)

Paul

Info

by Paul » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:11 am

the website should be refreshed and tell that also

otherwise people will become disappointed
or they may think nothing is going on, project is gone etc ...
Paul

close, but no cigar ... ... ...

[bo]

Info

by [bo] » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:49 am

I second that suggestion!
Some of my panoramas, posted in the Autopano Pro flickr group.

no avatar
pns

Topic author
Info

by pns » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:43 pm

thank you alexandre, for the update! please do tell us how it went (maybe in http://www.paris-20-gigapixels.com/ with a quick note here would make the most sense). again, i'm especially interested in how frich will use the head, how it performs, etc.

Edge@51

Info

by Edge@51 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:47 pm

Don't wait too long, the snow is already melting :)
- My website: www.panochrome.fr
- iMac 27" QuadCore i5 / Autopano Giga 2.0 / krpano
- Pentax k5 + K7 / Pentax 10-17mm / Nodal Ninja 3 MKII

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Liked in: 10 posts
Info

by AlexandreJ » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:24 am

I know. I will do that note soon on the blog.
BTW : We put a live webcam near the tower to get a live feed of the weather condition there. It's nice to have that. Unfortunately, I cannot give you the address, it's a private one.