Has someone tried the latest PTGUI versions?  

All things panoramic.
An open forum for every topic on photography, panoramas, IT or related.
[bo]

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Has someone tried the latest PTGUI versions?

by [bo] » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:29 pm

Not looking to start a flame war here...

A friend is looking for an advice on stitching software. I recommended Autopano, of course. However a quick check showed PTGUI progressing at amazing pace - 2 major versions in less than two years. Some of the version history items sound quite interesting. I'm aware than APP is easier to use, but my friend is a technical guy that won't take usability or aesthetics as a deciding factor.

So, in terms of functionality, is the current PTGUI better than APP?

A side question: is there an online resource, comparing different stitching applications?
Some of my panoramas, posted in the Autopano Pro flickr group.

no avatar
beeloba

Info

by beeloba » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:41 pm

Best way would be for him to experiment them both…
The two apps can be used in trial mode…
He will see what he prefers and will make up his mind… What you think!
Last edited by beeloba on Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:07 pm

'[bo wrote:']Not looking to start a flame war here...

A friend is looking for an advice on stitching software. I recommended Autopano, of course. However a quick check showed PTGUI progressing at amazing pace - 2 major versions in less than two years. Some of the version history items sound quite interesting. I'm aware than APP is easier to use, but my friend is a technical guy that won't take usability or aesthetics as a deciding factor.

A side question: is there an online resource, comparing different stitching applications?

For me functionality is closely related to ease of use - if I can't use it easily it ain't functional (for me). That's why I chose APP and Pano2VR.

The almost continuous stream of minor releases for PTGui to fix bugs but which also seem to introduce new bugs and break things that used to work would drive me to distraction.

He should try both and see which floats his boat.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

John_Sauter

Info

by John_Sauter » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:58 pm

Note that PTGui only supports Microsoft Windows and Apple OS/X. Unlike AutoPano Pro, PTGui does not have a version for GNU/Linux.

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:33 pm

'[bo wrote:']Not looking to start a flame war here...

I have the latest versions of PTGui - i don´t really like it. It´s less tolerant than APP - but stitches strongly geometricals a bit cleaner and has the advantage of more transparent editing.
But i find it clumsy to handle.
BUT: try to feed it pictures of only slightly differing sizes . . :rolleyes:

APP ist THE tool for creatives . . . :cool:

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
GURL

Info

by GURL » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:24 pm

I switched to APP from PTGUI and PTassembler (I mastered the subtleties of PToptimizer and had a long practice for setting manual control points with both.) Until fisheye was supported by APP I had to use PTgui rather than APP for 360 x 180 panos.

I was not seduced by APP automatic control points and found APP optimizer being difficult to manage but APP was improved and I now have changed my mind.

For me, the most interesting differences were:
- APP brightness adjustments via color modes and anchors (no tool was available for that in PTgui and PTassembler, using the same exposure setting for every source images was nearly mandatory, dynamic range issues were to be handled using Photoshop only)
- better performances of APP integrated Smartblend (despite its zenith weakness for 360x180)
- APP stitching speed (PTstitcher used by PTgui and PTassembler was incredibly slow.)
- better APP preview resulting in a smoother workflow

The truth is that, because these stitchers are evolving in a fast and somewhat jerky way, because they have many options (with PTgui one can uses different CP finders, several optimizers and many blenders !) and because - excepted for PTassembler - they are poorly documented, a serious comparison seems nearly impossible, would be temporary only and would depend on the kind of panoramas involved.
Georges

DamoRed

Info

by DamoRed » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:22 pm

Interesting to note your point, Klaus, on trying to stitch images of different sizes. It was this exact issue with Stitcher, that prompted me to go looking for another alternative, that led me to find APP, thanks to your post on Open Forums. I downloaded and tried PT, but it just never captured my imagination.

The thing was, I was attempting to use 12 images that were as I saw it, exactly the same size. I had taken them on RAW and to see a quick preview, I converted them to 9 X 6 jpegs. So I could not understand what on Earth was the problem, but thankfully, that cloud had a beautiful silver lining. I ended up with a FAR superior product as a result.

Things happen for a reason.
Go sell crazy some place else... we're all stocked up here!