Back focus pano stacking on custom medium format system.  

All things panoramic.
An open forum for every topic on photography, panoramas, IT or related.
no avatar
3ricJohanson

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Back focus pano stacking on custom medium format system.

by 3ricJohanson » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:12 am

Hi there,

I'm trying to stitch some somewhat unusual photos.

I'm moving the back on a medium format camera (IQ3) in order to take macro-pano shots. Each focus position has 5 positions of the back with a 10% overlap. I'm struggling to process the output of these images. One key factor is that we are also focus stacking in addition to stitching, so it's not clear which step should come first.

Some questions:

- How do I stitch images/detect images which have very little in focus in the overlap area? The detection functions are going crazy.

- Is there a specific mode I should be using in autopano to best deal with the projection? In theory, very little correction is needed and the images should nearly butt directly into each other.

Thanks in advance for any pointers or tips.

-3ric Johanson

no avatar
Pipetman

Liked in: 0 post
Info

Re: Back focus pano stacking on custom medium format system.

by Pipetman » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:36 pm

Haven't looked in here for a long time, but just happened upon your post. I do some focus stacking and some panorama stuff, but haven't attempted a combination of both, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

With regards to workflow, I would definitely first do the focus stacking and then the stitching. Simple reason being that in the the non-stacked frames most of your subject will be out of focus and there will be no features where control points can be set. That's dependent on what you stack of course, I'm thinking of e.g. an insect here, not so much an issue with e.g. a stamp.

When it comes to stitching, the culprit is probably that Autopano does not support a montage (of sorts) of non-warped images (there's a particular name for this, which escapes me right now, also I'm not up-to-date on the latest developments, so maybe this is possible now), but always wants to warp the images based on the assumption that you usually move the camera around in a spherical fashion. The work-around for this is to manually set the focal length of the lens used to a very large value (e.g. 1000 mm) in the editor, which should avoid the warping of the input images (or reduce it to a very small degree).

Hope, that helps.