Google API integration?  

All things panoramic.
An open forum for every topic on photography, panoramas, IT or related.
no avatar
tonimedia

Liked in: 0 post
Info

Re: Google API integration?

by tonimedia » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:11 pm

I use PTP und also Google Street View. To give us the ability to use Kolor for uploading via API would be a great option!

Kind Regards from Germany
Andreas

no avatar
Roshan

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by Roshan » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:29 am

Dear Kolor Team

Any news on the Google Integration?
Their Current Street View Editor will die off in 3 weeks time, and i would honestly prefer to use Kolor to upload my tours.

Do advice
Roshan

pgielen

Liked in: 5 posts
Info

by pgielen » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:24 pm

Gardengnome is planning to release a Beta, maybe next week: http://ggnome.com/blog/pano2vr-51-beta-2-google-street-view-export. No news from Kolor yet? Working on it?

no avatar
ERR

Topic author
Liked in: 23 posts
Info

by ERR » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:33 pm

Thanks for that link @pgielen. Hopefully we will hear something in the next few days from Kolor otherwise it's getting too clone to the deadline for those with jobs booked past the March 31 decommission and a replacement is a must.
The sun will come out, tomorrow... Well if not tomorrow then at least in 4 years and if not 4 years then most definitely 8 years max. But hopefully in 1 year or less.

no avatar
Mark Edwards

Info

by Mark Edwards » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:44 pm

Hi Guys,

Tourmake have also announced a beta for their Google API intergration http://www.tourmake.it/en/blog/read/185/publish-on-google-street-view.

I know Kolor said earlier in this thread that they are in discussions with Google about the new API.

@Kolor are you now in a position to confirm that you are in fact working on a Google API service/solution?

Even if you can't give a date for release or even beta access yet, it would be good to know one way or the other.

Thanks

Mark

Zigeiner likes this post.

signmaster

Liked in: 36 posts
Info

by signmaster » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:07 am

Garden Gnome are claiming world's first fully functional desktop application Google Street View Editor and Uploader. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpLTGx3GMC4
Hope Kolor hurries up or at least lets ups know their plans.

Steve

no avatar
ERR

Topic author
Info

by ERR » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:25 pm

Wait what? I just saw that video and ??? It's a very nice UI and looks "easy as pie" to upload to Street View BUT that looked like it was only for single panos uploaded to the carousel? Did I miss something? When we use(ed) the Desktop Editor we:

1) confirm the CID
2) import the panos
3) connect the panos/create navigation
4) upload the tour and it appears on maps as per the CID

What did I miss?
The sun will come out, tomorrow... Well if not tomorrow then at least in 4 years and if not 4 years then most definitely 8 years max. But hopefully in 1 year or less.

Christian Stüben

Liked in: 9 posts
Info

by Christian Stüben » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:24 pm

Hi Steve,
that garden gnome thing looks good.

@Kolor: hurry up, there are competitors that seem to be in release candidate state.

greetings from germany
Chris

no avatar
ERR

Topic author
Info

by ERR » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:48 pm

I know right... Garden Gnome is catching my eye if PTP doesn't integrate it. I would hate to jump ship but it's a new game now that the DT editor is going "bye, bye" in 7 days. Luckily none of my current clients care about Google Street View and just want the premium tours we produce with PTP. I would hate to jump Kolor's ship but if they don't deliver the Google API then I guess I will have no choice :/

no avatar
Kevin

Info

by Kevin » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:43 pm

Garden Gnome, PTGui, and a service provider, GoThru, are some options available TODAY. Kolor doesn't even mention it over on GoPro's development team forums :(

I'm sure PTP will catch up eventually, but they seem to be distracted with video as far as any recent development goes. Mind you I love PTP with krpano, and krpano was one of the first ways to deliver 360 video in HTML5 for me, so I appreciate the trip up until now. However I find myself back to the research phase of my business like I was 2 years ago when I selected Kolor in the first place. GG, PTGui have also changed quite a bit since then. So I think its good to go back and look at your options. Google Street View really messes things up for me :(

pgielen

Info

by pgielen » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:33 pm

We always have a choice. I have worked with GardenGnome's Pano2VR in the past and switched to PtP because it was way too complicated. Besides, Google's own Business View / SV publisher has always been so full of bugs that I prefer to wait now and see which editor will be the best in a year or so. In the mean time, I signed up with the web service Tourmake.

signmaster

Liked in: 36 posts
Info

by signmaster » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:02 pm

You would think after all the problems that GoPro are having it would be a great idea to prioritize the Google API integration into PanoTour. I am sure that many users would pay for an upgrade and there would be a lot of Google Trusted Photographers that would jump on board.
Think of all the extra revenue Kolor/GoPro!
Steve

Kevin likes this post.

no avatar
benji33
Kolor Team

Liked in: 199 posts
Info

by benji33 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:03 pm

Hello,

As you are likely aware, the original Google Desktop Street View Editor will expire on March 31st, 2017.

It has been decided that Panotour will not allow the export of your visits to Street View.
Several software publishers have already worked on this issue and offer their software, free or paid, based on the new Google Street View API.
We invite you to get closer to these editors to support this feature.

Publishers links :
Thank you for reading,

In case you didn't get the original e-mail, this is from the Google Street View trusted photographers news:

Dear photographers,

The world of 360 photography is developing extremely quickly, and we’re continuously amazed by the creativity and contributions from this community. Google continues to create new tools to help professionals and amateurs alike capture beautiful imagery, so today we’re excited to share information on the next steps for publishing 360 imagery on desktop.

As announced earlier last year at the Street View Summit, we are shifting our ongoing support and maintenance efforts away from the existing, desktop Street View editor. In its place, we’ve developed an API for third-party desktop publishing, streamlining your publishing workflow and enabling a nearly limitless level of customization. Already, multiple desktop applications are being prepared as successors to the Street View editor. These have been developed by third-party developers like GoThru, Garden Gnome Software, and LCP360. Expect product announcements directly from them soon. Plus, top contributors will be given early access to the API over the next few weeks, so please fill out this form if you are interested in being one of the first to build new tools using the API.

As we extend access to our new publishing API, we will also retire the existing desktop publishing utility (the “Street View editor”). This turndown will occur on March 31, 2017, after similar pose, connect, and publish capabilities have been made available from 3rd party developers.

In addition to our API efforts, we have continued to develop professional features in the Street View app for Android and iOS, which now features a popular new connectivity interface and a Contribute tab highlighting locations that would most benefit from having more imagery. You can read more about these great features here.

If you have any questions about these changes, feel free to reach out to our team by posting your questions on the forum or filing a support case here.

While we understand that changes to your workflow can be difficult, we hope that these new efforts will ultimately give you more flexibility, make you more efficient and productive, and allow our team to focus on new workflows that further support a prosperous future for 360 photography.

FAQs:
Is the desktop editor going away?
Yes, the current desktop editor has been slowly coming to the end of its lifecycle and can no longer be supported. We’ll be shutting down access to the tool on March 31st, after which it will no longer be accessible.

Will Google launch a new desktop editor?
No, we don’t have plans to develop a new desktop editor, but instead we’re launching an API that empowers 3rd party developers to create desktop utilities for connecting and publishing Street View content to Google Maps. We’re working to make sure that when the Street View editor is turned off, you have viable options already available from developers who understand trusted photographers’ needs and workflows.

How can I publish imagery without the desktop editor?
You will still be able to use the Street View app to publish, connect and blur your imagery, and transfer the imagery rights to business owners, or you can use one of the platforms that are being created using the API. You also have the option to create your own version of the desktop editor if you’re familiar with JS and the Google APIs.

What does this API do? What kind of functionalities can I expect (e.g. stitching, etc.)?
The API allows you to publish 360 photos to Google Maps, along with image metadata that specifies the position, orientation, and connectivity of each 360 photo. With this API, any application can offer an interface for positioning, connecting, and uploading user-generated Street View images. If you are interested in being one of the beta testers, please apply here.

Where can I find out more information about the API?
Detailed API documentation is currently available only to beta testers, but we plan to open up access to the public very soon. To apply to the beta program, please fill out this form.

Where can I get support on the API?
If you are part of our beta program for this API, please check your email for support instructions. When we publicly release this API, support options will be clearly listed in the API documentation.

Can I create my own editor with the API and charge for its use?
You can apply to be one of the beta testers through this form and read the applicable terms here https://developers.google.com/terms/. At the moment there are no restrictions for charging. However if you intend to also use the Google Maps API, please take note that those specific terms will also apply as outlined here: https://developers.google.com/maps/terms Checking on terms & conditions

Will shoots created using the API show up on my profile page?
Yes, content published from these 3rd-party utilities will appear in your Maps profile, just as your contributions through the Street View app also appear there.

Will I need to pre-stitch imagery if I use a platform developed using the API?
The API can only publish complete and stitched 360 photos, but some developers may decide to include stitching as part of the utilities they offer. There are also the Street View app-compatible cameras available — and more advanced ones coming — that allow you take a stitched 360 photo in one click.

Will I be able to blur, edit and remove imagery if published using the API?
Yes, in the first version, editing and removing imagery will be possible through the API. Blurring will not be available in the first version of the API, but we’ll keep this channel updated on any future developments.

Will I be able to embed imagery published using a platform developed through the API?
Yes. The imagery published will be published to maps just like any other 360 photos and so will be available to embed either through the iframe or through the Google Maps API.

Will there be license charges for using the API (like Maps API)?
No, there are no plans to charge for using the Street View Publish API

What happens if I want to edit imagery published through the deprecated desktop editor?
After 31st March you will no longer be able to edit imagery in the editor. We will be able to facilitate removal of published imagery and you will be able to re-publish through another platform. We recommend that you complete all publishing and edits in advance of the 31st March deadline

What happens to the imagery published with the editor - will they remain published or do I need to republish them through the app?
All imagery published through the editor will remain published on Maps. We’re working on having the same imagery available in your contribution page, although this will happen in stages. We’ll be keeping you updated on the timeline, but during the migration, imagery will still be available on Google Maps.

How will the imagery I have published with the editor appear in Google Maps? Who will the image be attributed to?
360 photos will look exactly the same and be discoverable in the same places. The imagery will be attributed to the account that published the imagery, and if the tour was published before Sept 2015, it will also show attribution to the business owner. If the tour was published after Sept 2015, the photographer will be responsible for transferring the rights, if needed, to the business within the Street View App.

What will happen to my connected tours and will click-to-go exist?
Connected tours will maintain their connections and we’re working on improving the click-to-go experience for tours published through the Street View Editor.

Will imagery published through the Street View editor be available for edits, rights transfer etc. in the SV app?
Yes, imagery published through Street View editor will be editable in the Street View app or publish API. We’re still working on the specific timeline to migrate your data, but we will keep this channel updated as it is defined.

Who owns the Intellectual Property for platforms or tools created using the Street View Publish API?
Please read the terms carefully at https://developers.google.com/terms/. Google does not retain any IP for the platforms third-party developers create. Please read the terms carefully, specifically section 5 on the submission of content.

Does the Street View Publish API support the creation of multi-floor mode, hotel-mode, or island-mode?
The first version of the API will not have these features, but we are aiming to have something that will replace multi-floor in subsequent versions.

Will it have any limitation of the number of panoramas that we can publish?
We do not intend to limit the publishing of legitimate content. As with all Google APIs, we will enforce quotas to limit spam, but will be able to increase quotas for frequent users. We will publish the default quota values in our API documentation after we work with our beta developers to understand usage patterns.

Using the API, will I be able to add 360 photos to a tour previously published from the Street View editor?
Yes. We’ll be migrating your contributions so that they will be available in your Street View app published contributions profile. You will then have the possibility to edit imagery previously published through the editor.

What’s happened to the Maps uploader that was discussed at the summit in Amsterdam?
The Maps uploader has been replaced by the Street View Publish API that will allow you to create a platform to publish, position, and connect 360 photos. It is already possible to upload single 360 photos to maps through the uploader, but these cannot be connected there (you must then connect them via the Street View app or any upcoming 3rd-party editor).

How can we request deletion of tours published through the Street View editor after it’s deprecation?
If you are the owner of the imagery — and only after the data migration — you will be able to remove the imagery directly using your contributors profile in the Street View app. Imagery removal requests can also be logged using the Report a Problem link in Maps.

Will there be ‘See Inside’ when we publish with the app/API, and what’s going on with it?
In our previous interface design, See Inside, Street View, and Photos were represented by three distinct image buckets. This has proven to be a confusing and unnecessary distinction for our users because See Inside is often showing exterior views, Street View is often not on streets, and photos are often actually 360 photos. Thus, we are moving away from distinguishing 360 photos with the “See Inside” language and are now showcasing 360 imagery on it’s own visible tab in the photos gallery, both on mobile and on desktop.

Will I be able to select a primary image for a tour published through the API? In the Street View editor, we could select the thumbnail, and our clients enjoy this functionality.
There is currently no ability to select a primary image when using our new generation of products, including the Street View app and Publish API. Primary (entry point) images are selected automatically using an image quality algorithm. Furthermore, the prevailing direction among our next-gen user interfaces generally negates the need for specified entry points.
Benjamin

FINEVRServices likes this post.

no avatar
Mark Edwards

Info

by Mark Edwards » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:10 pm

Hi Benjamin,
Thank you for providing us with an update.

I must admit I am very disappointed with this decision and hope it is not an indication that Kolor is no longer interested in providing Virtual Tour production services in the future.

Thanks

Mark

Kevin likes this post.

Christian Stüben

Liked in: 9 posts
Info

by Christian Stüben » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:13 pm

Hmm, thats bad news. I really would like to have a software package that i am familiar with.

But i can comfort myself (oops, right word? in german: mich selber trösten) with the gardengnome that really looks great.

greetings from germany
Chris

@kolor: please please please re-think about your decision.

no avatar
Kevin

Info

by Kevin » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:07 pm

I can actually see the end of Kolor's software offering. The first sign that GoPro would no longer have a need for the Kolor "brand" product line is that it gave away most of Kolor's software offerings with their Omni camera package and provided nothing in return for those of us who paid full price to invest in those solutions before GoPro was even thinking of 360. The Panotour product is the only thing that GoPro hasn't even talked about and sadly, probably doesn't fit into their direction. I like KRPano and PTP made it easier to work with it, but it is time to move on. The only appreciation is that they announced their intentions so we can all exit the scene gracefully.

no avatar
benji33
Kolor Team

Liked in: 199 posts
Info

by benji33 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:24 pm

Hi,

It's not a simple decision. We have to think about the future for our products.
And we have to make choice for the next development iteration.

As you can see Panotour 2 has been release from several years now.
Panotour is a great tool to build virtual tours but we are too much linked to the krpano viewer development.
krpano 1.19 engine which is used into Panotour 2.5 has been released on 14th Febuary, 2015 and for each pre release (eight at this time) the internal code of Panotour must be reviewed or rewrite. So all the development effort for Panotour 2.5 is guided by the final integration of the 1.19 finale of the krpano viewer.

As you can see on my previous message, many publishers are ready to push great products on the market, as LCP360 or GardenGnome. And we have to make choice between a development to offer the Google Street View to all Google Trusted Photographers and a development which will have a major impact for the future of Kolor.

It's one of the reason of the ForgeJS framework (https://forgejs.org) development. ForgeJS can be a viewer, with a part of the great options provided by krpano, but is also a new way to build immersive experiences. We have made more efforts on the ForgeJS development these last months than on Panotour development.

Panotour have also benefits of it's developers community, with many awesome plugins and templates which are published day after day on these pages :
http://www.kolor.com/wiki-en/action/vie ... ra_Plugins
http://www.kolor.com/wiki-en/action/vie ... _Templates

By the way, all the team is also aware of all Panotour issues and requests and try to correct and answer them to publish new versions and plugins as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Benjamin
Benjamin

no avatar
Roshan

Info

by Roshan » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:33 am

HI Benji

Sad to hear that Kolor has decided not to offer the option of exporting tours to Street View.
Hope fully , a U-turn decision can be made by Kolor to offer the Street View VT.

I have been in a strong supporter of Kolor, even though its not popular in Malaysia, and used it in my first Major Project in Penang.

Hopefully, the Kolor team will integrate the API in the near future
Roshan

2 people like this post.

pgielen

Info

by pgielen » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:22 am

Or maybe someone with good programming skiĺls can build a PtP plugin????

signmaster likes this post.

no avatar
jon albert

Liked in: 1 post
Info

by jon albert » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:59 pm

Yes it might be but need high skills!
tachophobiaipledges
Last edited by jon albert on Fri May 05, 2017 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
edgar_ali

Liked in: 3 posts
Info

by edgar_ali » Wed May 03, 2017 1:31 am

I have a couple of questions:

currently in Panotour I am able to export a file that you can view in your mobile device (i.e.: iphone) using panotour viewer...

Will forgejs able to do that?

Another feature that I use a lot in panotour is assigning hotspots in places, however these hotspots does not have any actions assigned (I just want the people to see the dots)...Will forgejs have this option???

are you going to eliminate panotour eventually??

signmaster likes this post.

no avatar
ERR

Topic author
Info

by ERR » Wed May 03, 2017 2:01 am

EXTREMELY disappointed. Looks like I will be saving my $$ for P2VR :(

pgielen

Info

by pgielen » Wed May 03, 2017 8:12 am

edgar_ali wrote:Will forgejs able to do that?

Seems off-topic to me, but ForgeJS (just like krPano) needs a GUI to streamline the workflow, which is the 'raison d'être' of PtP. And krPano works on almost all devices (excluding a Macbook with Chrome), ForgeJS works on almost none.

Now on-topic: Panoskin https://www.panoskin.com/ offers a user friendly alternative to the Google SV-editor, in my experience. Implementing Street View export into PtP would surely offer us a more efficient workflow, but not more functionality.

Pierre

no avatar
edgar_ali

Liked in: 3 posts
Info

by edgar_ali » Wed May 03, 2017 11:44 am

still my questions remain:

currently in Panotour I am able to export a file that you can view in your mobile device (i.e.: iphone) using panotour viewer...

Will forgejs able to do that?

Another feature that I use a lot in panotour is assigning hotspots in places, however these hotspots does not have any actions assigned (I just want the people to see the dots)...Will forgejs have this option???

are you going to eliminate panotour eventually??

no avatar
ERR

Topic author
Info

by ERR » Wed May 03, 2017 2:12 pm

@benji333 "Several software publishers have already worked on this issue and offer their software, free or paid, based on the new Google Street View API. We invite you to get closer to these editors to support this feature."

WOW! So you are explicitly telling us to drop Kolor software and purchase the competitions? Very bold move. Looks like I'm in the same boat as @Kevin, @ Christian Stüben.

GoPro keeps "biting the hand that feeds them". First they debilitate the functionality of their free app (which is essential to control the cameras remotely) by requesting a login every time so they can track us, then they decide to keep PTP behind the curve and invite us to explore other options which is basically telling us "If you don't like it F#@$ Off". With that being their position I can't really support them (or any company with that mentality) by purchasing any more of their hardware of software. GoPro/Kolor needs to take a page out of DJI's business model and create two symbiotic divisions: Commercial and Consumer.

GoPro, don't ever complain about loss of market share because these ridiculous decisions are how you deliberately put yourself in that position.

Kevin likes this post.

PreviousNext