Google API integration?  

All things panoramic.
An open forum for every topic on photography, panoramas, IT or related.
no avatar
ERR

Topic author
Liked in: 23 posts
Info

Google API integration?

by ERR » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:06 pm

Google recently announced that in March they will be "discontinuing" their Street View Editor which facilitates direct upload of 360°panos to Google Servers for automatic inclusion on Maps, Search and G+.

It has been conveyed to us (Google Certified Photographers :/) that companies such as Garden Gnome and others will be incorporating Google's API which will take the place of the Google "Desktop Editor/uploader" which will allow uploading directly to maps.

Will Kolor be taking advantage of this "hole" in the market?

Thanks
The sun will come out, tomorrow... Well if not tomorrow then at least in 4 years and if not 4 years then most definitely 8 years max. But hopefully in 1 year or less.

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Liked in: 10 posts
Info

Re: Google API integration?

by AlexandreJ » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:19 am

I can confirm that we are in discussion with google on that matter.

pgielen likes this post.

no avatar
Mark Edwards

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by Mark Edwards » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:59 pm

Hi ERR and Alexandre,

I am also looking forward to finding out what plans Kolor have with regards to the new API.

Thanks

Mark

no avatar
Luoslav

Liked in: 0 post
Info

by Luoslav » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:36 pm

Connecting spheres in mobile app is painful and counterproductive. Will this change affect creating connections between google spheres too?

no avatar
ERR

Topic author
Info

by ERR » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:11 pm

@AlexandreJ

Thanks for that response. I (and along with others) are hoping that Kolor will incorporate the API which will allow us to publish and even allow advanced features found in PanoTour Pro (hotspots).

I can't think of a better company to incorporate this into their product.

How will Kolor be keeping us informed of this situation?

@Mark & Luoslav : Are you TPs?
The sun will come out, tomorrow... Well if not tomorrow then at least in 4 years and if not 4 years then most definitely 8 years max. But hopefully in 1 year or less.

no avatar
Mark Edwards

Info

by Mark Edwards » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:20 pm

Hi ERR,
Yes, I have been a TP since early 2014.

Mark

no avatar
Luoslav

Info

by Luoslav » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:36 am

ERR wrote:@AlexandreJ

Thanks for that response. I (and along with others) are hoping that Kolor will incorporate the API which will allow us to publish and even allow advanced features found in PanoTour Pro (hotspots).

I can't think of a better company to incorporate this into their product.

How will Kolor be keeping us informed of this situation?

@Mark & Luoslav : Are you TPs?

Not yet but Im very near to that :)
Dear TPs do you have some tips for newbie in google virtual tour bussines? :) PM me, I would be very thankful
Last edited by Luoslav on Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Annis
Kolor Team

Liked in: 444 posts
Info

by Annis » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:37 am

We'll keep you informed the same way as for any software update or news: through our blog and on social media (Facebook & Twitter), and (most of the time) an announcement on this forum.

Christian Stüben

Liked in: 9 posts
Info

by Christian Stüben » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:54 pm

Post by AlexandreJ » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:19 am

I can confirm that we are in discussion with google on that matter.

That is good news. A ready-to-use product would be better news :)

And yes, i am TP too (but dont´t betray to real panographers, they don´t like TPs :p ).

greetings from germany
Chris

pgielen

Liked in: 5 posts
Info

by pgielen » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:31 pm

Good to hear that the Street View API will be incorporated. I am looking forward to a SV publisher that will allow me to save project files like PtP does, so I don't have to ingest all over again for every little change I make in a tour. And while we're at it, how about some facility that prevents users from jumping through walls ? :-)

Pierre (a panographer and also a TP)

Guib

Liked in: 1 post
Info

by Guib » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:56 pm

Good news !
As a TP, I'm also glad to hear that PTP will offer this kind of export !

no avatar
fred b

Info

by fred b » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:35 pm

Very good news !
Thanks Kolor =D

signmaster

Liked in: 36 posts
Info

by signmaster » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:14 am

That would be great, I am also a TIP

no avatar
Mark Edwards

Info

by Mark Edwards » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:57 pm

Hi Alexandre & Annis,
Is there any news you can share regarding your intentions to include the API into your software?

The change is only about 1 month away now so I (and the other TPs) will need to make a decision quite soon on which software package we are going to be using going forward.

Thanks

Mark

no avatar
ERR

Topic author
Info

by ERR » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:10 pm

Mark, Ultimately Panotour Pro would be [our] first choice of delivery but to cover ourselves for the eminent demise of the Desktop Editor next month we have registered with "Panoskin" who is offering a "free" desktop solution. This should satisfy your needs until Kolor confirms they will be incorporating the Google API. Check out the TIP forums for more solutions.

Hopefully Kolor will realize that this could be a very lucrative "upgrade" for their software. If we are able to integrate all the features of PTP that would be fantastic.

no avatar
Mark Edwards

Info

by Mark Edwards » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:22 pm

Hi ERR,

Thank you for your suggestion, I will look into Panoskin. My first choice would also be Panotour, and ideally it would be updated to also allow the creation of street view overlays for menus, hotspots etc.

Then my Kolor software would be a one stop stitching, tour creation and overlay system for my street view work as well as the non Google virtual tour creation facility we already enjoy.

I also really hope that there is a new Panotour that will act a a GUI for the new forge.js system. I think Kolor would then be unmatched in the VR / virtual tour software realm especially when you also take into account 360 video and Omni.

Exciting times in our field at the moment.

Thanks

Mark

pgielen

Info

by pgielen » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:46 pm

I would me more than willing to test an alpha version :-)

no avatar
ERR

Topic author
Info

by ERR » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:18 pm

I think that's a great suggestion: "Alpha Testing". They should recruit all current owners of PTP who are TIPs. Sign me up too.

2 people like this post.

anykill

Liked in: 1 post
Info

by anykill » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:27 pm

+1 great suggestion!

Siewers

Liked in: 14 posts
Info

by Siewers » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:43 pm

I'm verry interested when Kolor implements the Google API, I think this is a great opportunity for Kolor. I'm also already looking in to other options if Kolor does not implements the API in time

no avatar
ERR

Topic author
Info

by ERR » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:13 pm

With only 30 days until Google decommissions the DTE (unless integration of the API is a simple task) I don't think anything will be ready before then. If you have clients in the pipeline I would be sure to "cover your bases" by acquiring the functional but limited free alternatives such as Panoskin.

Still waiting on updates about PanoTour.

pu2wxp

Info

by pu2wxp » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:20 pm

I need it too. It would be great to do both inside Panotour Pro ... do both, my custom tour for the client website as well as the Trusted Street View tour.

no avatar
Roshan

Info

by Roshan » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:49 am

I do Hope that the Kolor team will be able to offer SVT moderator, when the current Google Moderator dies off. Their Mobile App is meant for small tours and lots of double handling.

It will be so much easier using, and promoting Kolor Software. This will be an added advantage with all the features Kolor currently offers. I also hope that Multi Levels and Hotel Mode shall be offered as well
Roshan

pgielen

Info

by pgielen » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:57 am

Google states that multilevel, hotel mode or island mode will not even be available in the first version of the API, but there will be 'something to replace multi-floor' in subsequent versions. The bugs that have been showing up in SV (preview issues, walking through walls and unwanted jumping from floor to floor) do not exactly give me a lot of confidence that things will get better soon.

As far as moderation is concerned: I think Google itself has not been moderating much the last year and in fact, I don't think moderation should be the responsibility of a software developer.

Pierre

no avatar
ERR

Topic author
Info

by ERR » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:09 pm

In no way would/should moderation be a third party developers responsibility. That resides solely on Googles end because Google is the "end user" and reaps all the multi million dollar data/advertising benefits. The fact that they bailed on business with such potential is beyond me. They must have become tired of their "toy".

The beauty of PTP is the interface. If they could incorporate the tours developed in their software exactly as is that will solve the issue of "levels" much better than Google could have ever hoped for.

With regards to things getting better. Ask yourself this: How could they get worse? Compared to two/three years ago the whole process is just a shell of what it used to be. Should Kolor decide to implement the API it will only be an exponential improvement because in my experience with them they do an "A+" job (which is why GoPro acquired them).

The potential to integrate 360° stills and video should be enough incentive for them.

Roshan likes this post.

Next