Stitchless creative 360 VR panoramas - PanoMoments  

All things panoramic.
An open forum for every topic on photography, panoramas, IT or related.
no avatar
panomoments

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Stitchless creative 360 VR panoramas - PanoMoments

by panomoments » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:15 pm

Please let me know if a little shameless self-promotion is against the rules. Apologies in advance.

We just launched our Kickstarter yesterday for PanoMoments - a totally different way to create engaging 360 VR experiences. I'd love to hear any feedback you have on either the concept or the Kickstarter itself. Below are few examples of the kind of content you can capture. It's actually much easier than you would expect to create them.

https://www.panomoments.com/m/baby
https://www.panomoments.com/m/grand-central
https://www.panomoments.com/m/intersection
https://www.panomoments.com/m/billboard-one

What do you think? Would you be interested in capturing them? Any and all feedback would really be appreciated. And if you like the concept, please consider spreading the word.

Thanks,
Dustin

gkaefer

Liked in: 15 posts
Info

Re: Stitchless creative 360 VR panoramas - PanoMoments

by gkaefer » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:35 pm

Hi Dustin,
saw your project on Kickstarter today.
congrats for your project and I wish you all the best.

I like the baby and the intersection examples because they show the additional value compared with normal spherical panos.

What I technically do not understand: looking at the rig at Kickstarter project page is clearly visible that the camera, the lens is not aligned to fit the nodal point. but no visible negative parallax errors visible on the resulting "panos".
(maybe its used to reduce the footprint using a fisheye lens....)

It would be great if you could show more details about "Upgradeable to dual-axis control for regular stitched panoramas" on Kickstarter page... with the shown setup I think panos will/have to fail because of parallax issues (using other lenses than fisheye...)

I dont like the progress bar while waiting for loading the HDD or UHD material. First time users don't even recognize this small progressbar at that top placed position.

even with UHD the panos look not sharp viewing them @ LG Cinema 4K monitor. But I expect thats not related to the pano-rig, only with the used camera/lens combo an resulting resolution too....

I'm not convinced from the webplattform concept. Its a personal thing I dont like cloud services at all.

If I do interprete the how to setup "panomoment" than the stiching is not limited to ptgui, autopano would also work?

I think a nogo is the limitation to a single propietary browser(family).
Mozilla do work, IE11 (and MS Edge) do not...

Liebe Grüße,
Georg

no avatar
panomoments

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Re: Stitchless creative 360 VR panoramas - PanoMoments

by panomoments » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:11 pm

Thanks for the feedback Georg. Glad you like the concept.

What I technically do not understand: looking at the rig at Kickstarter project page is clearly visible that the camera, the lens is not aligned to fit the nodal point. but no visible negative parallax errors visible on the resulting "panos".
(maybe its used to reduce the footprint using a fisheye lens....)

Good question. It's intentionally offset in front of the NPP to emulate human head rotation. Since PanoMoments don't rely on stitching, we're able to show motion parallax which creates a much more immersive experience. Check out this example (on a smartphone ideally) - https://www.panomoments.com/m/watertower-inside

It would be great if you could show more details about "Upgradeable to dual-axis control for regular stitched panoramas" on Kickstarter page... with the shown setup I think panos will/have to fail because of parallax issues (using other lenses than fisheye...)

I'd like to keep the Kickstarter more focused on PanoMoments as that's really the main goal of the campaign. PanoMoments are hardware agnostic. Though I'd be certainly happy to answer any specific questions on the Loop, and can defer to PanoCatcher if I can't answer anything.

I dont like the progress bar while waiting for loading the HDD or UHD material. First time users don't even recognize this small progressbar at that top placed position.

Good point. We'll consider changing this a bit to make it more prominent.

even with UHD the panos look not sharp viewing them @ LG Cinema 4K monitor. But I expect thats not related to the pano-rig, only with the used camera/lens combo an resulting resolution too....

Yeah, on a big monitor you'll probably want higher quality. That's mainly a function of the exported resolution/bitrate. We will offer more fine tuned control of bitrate in the platform. We just happened to choose bitrates that bring down the file size to something more manageable. The master photos themselves are much higher quality than what you currently see, and as viewing playback technology gets better (eg. h265 HEVC) we'll be able to re-render all of the existing content at higher resolutions/quality. In essence, PanoMoments will get better looking with age :)

I'm not convinced from the webplattform concept. Its a personal thing I dont like cloud services at all.

Yeah, this seems to be a common sticking point for pros. We feel it's the best way to continue to evolve and improve the medium. Once it's a little bit more mature, we'll definitely consider an offline/self-hosted solution for pros.

If I do interprete the how to setup "panomoment" than the stiching is not limited to ptgui, autopano would also work?

I'm not quite sure I follow. The only post-capture processing step the photographer has to do is convert from fisheye to equirectangular projection. There are many programs out there that do this. Hugin, PTGui, and Autopano just happen to be the ones we're recommending.

I think a nogo is the limitation to a single propietary browser(family).
Mozilla do work, IE11 (and MS Edge) do not...

I totally agree. We just we just wanted to ensure that the preview provided a working experience and had decided it just wasn't worth the extra upfront development resources to worry about all the cross-browser idiosyncrasies. This is certainly not ideal though, and after the Kickstarter we will be adding other browser support and will hopefully also start working on native mobile apps which will significantly increase the performance.

Let me know if you have any other feedback, and please spread the word!

Thanks,
Dustin