Whats new @ Photokina  

All things panoramic.
An open forum for every topic on photography, panoramas, IT or related.
klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

Re: Whats new @ Photokina

by klausesser » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:03 pm

gkaefer wrote:I saw an interesting ballhead from http://www.uniqqball.com which claims to be "Worlds only leveling ballhead - a ballhead, a pan-tilt head, a leveling base in one unit"

interested people from Austria: the ball is licensed to novovlex Germany... ordering it directly from uniqball will be cheaper if you use an Austria address (with higher delivery costs normal in Austria than in Germany... so sending it to logoix.de or other PO boxes in Germany will give you lower quotes for delivery, but a higher ball price because of novoflex area protection...)

Hi Georg - sorry we didn´t meet at the PK! I was at Dr. Clauss-booth a while and at the IVRPA-booth joking around with Juergen Schrader and Willy Kaemena and some other guys.

Had a close look at the Uniqball too . . was not impressed at all. They had a nice carbon-tripod there. But in the price-range you can also get a Manfrotto or even a Gitzo.
And i bet Novoflex will make them even higher . . . i don´t like Novoflex anyway.

Did you see my renewed site?: http://klausesser.de/wp/wordpress/

Made some real large images recently: 12x27m and 12x32m -- both for being printed @120dpi! :cool:

http://klausesser.de/wp/wordpress/index ... stbereich/

best to you!

Klaus

no avatar
jimbee

Topic author
Liked in: 13 posts
Info

by jimbee » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:39 pm

gkaefer wrote:
well lol. Casey did trap into the pitfall, many other reviewer did it too since the mavic presentation...
... they did not realize that the dji mavic has no fixed focus, but an manual/automatic focus... default set to manual ;-)
result... all videos I saw until now were out of focus, blurry at all...
how to focus? just tap with a finger on the mobile screen where you want to focus to...
much much more pleasant video footage I found here: https://youtu.be/v7V5K_-0Un4

Good to know. The videos on that link look more like other demo videos I've been seeing. Pretty slick little system...

no avatar
Destiny

Liked in: 228 posts
Info

by Destiny » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:24 am

So many positive first impressions in using the Mavic on YouTube.. I was wondering... It would be great if it could remember a path, so walking it though slowly first, then repeat that same path, but in Sports Mode.. =D

Recording of a path could also be useful inside a home.. Walk along with it where you would like to recored, pointing it in the directions, since walking with it is much easier, then from the start position, fly it to record that same path... Now that would be very cool...

With the Home feature.. It would be nice to also have a Homing Beckon.. Incase you have to move from the original Home position. So you could just place the beckon on the ground to override the Home location. Just some thoughts..

Destiny..

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:58 am

Hey.. I think bad timing on the part of GoPro. Less than a week later DJI announce their own Mavic Drone with heaps more features, smaller and about the same price, and it is available before the Karma. Only time will tell how well either of the new Drones do...

I am surprised GoPro did not concentrate their effort on what they do best... There are so many Dash Cams and as far as I know, none of them are GorPro and Personal Cams being warn by our police and security people.. They had that on TV last night.. I feel GoPro missed out on an opportunity in many ways... Oh well.. I guess they now what they are doing... :rolleyes:

I am hopeful that GoPro come up with their own Omso version with the feature to capture a pano.. I have yet to see a result from that unit in person.... As soon as we find the right price we will buy the Osmo Sports with all the attachments. To be honest, if I had the money I would pre order a Mavic too... If set right, the media output is mind-blowingly awesome.. I cannot think of any negatives about the Mavic Drone..

Does anyone know when the next big show and tell is on... I am looking forward to seeing some 360 video from users of the KeyMission 360 video camera.. But for that unit, I would wait for version 2... I think they can do better... I am surprise Google has not created a 360 camera.. I know they are linked in with the IRIS in some way but that camera is not so good.. Their HDR output has possibilities but their stitching is just horrible..

Destiny...

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:10 am

So, now we know where the idea of the Gimble came from. :lol: :lol:

https://www.facebook.com/10686465098866 ... 184287706/

All the best ideas come from nature..

Destiny...

gkaefer

Liked in: 15 posts
Info

by gkaefer » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:08 am

sadly to report about karma:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb_5k10xKKw

Bill Nichols reported 8.Nov.2016:
UPDATE: I confirmed with GoPro PR today that they are putting together a process to give everyone who ordered and took delivery of a Karma a free GoPro Hero 5 Black.

They don't have details yet, but you will receive an email or contact from GoPro on this. As soon as this is fleshed out I will update everyone.

VERY IMPORTANT - IF YOU HAVE A KARMA

STOP FLYING IT RIGHT NOW - Don't take a chance on endangering someone or someones property, not a joke, just don't do it.

Today GoPro took the step and recalled every GoPro Karma that has been sold and cancelled every pending order due to a sudden loss of power issue, so drones falling out of the sky.

I am bummed, big time! This is not the part 2 that I wanted to bring but it is the sad reality. Big kudos to GoPro for doing the right thing here but what a bummer. For a company that is having a hard time in the market and now on the eve of the Christmas season this could potentially be a huge impact and move GoPro toward disappearing.

I really hope not though...

If you have a Karma here are the important things YOU need to know:

1) Go to https://gopro.com/2016karmareturn

Once there you will see instructions for returning your Karma

some reported crashes related to that problems or not, dont know...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr63Ja0jZ04

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:29 am

Yes, Andrew M sent me some info on the crashing issues a couple of weeks ago.. I had a friend who likes GoPro and placed a pre order after the Karma was launched.. A week later she cancelled it since the Mavic was launched and was truly heaps better.. Its not arrived yet but she has been told next week so we are going out together to test it out..

GoPro created something really nice looking but it lacked so many basic features, which was real shame. I feel it was doomed after the Mavic was lanced but now its dead or dying.. Real shame to be honest.. Even though it lacks features its still a nice looking Drone and well designed. Its still showcasing on their website.. https://shop.gopro.com/APAC/karma

I am so amazed GoPro did not just stick with what it knows about mini cameras and get into the In Car Cams, which is booming and Personal Cams too for the police and military. I feel if it was not for innovators who came up with the RIG for 360 video, sales would have plummeted long ago.. I don't like RIGs but I really do love the concept and the innovation itself. Its a great idea but for me, the media quality is just too iffy.. Too many memory cards, no good close up, very very expensive, hard to use the software but sometimes the quality can be quite good.. But mostly the media is not... With all the new options coming onto the market, the RIG will be a thing of the past....

I sure hope GoPro will survive since I fear for Kolor.. A recall like this will be very harmful for GoPro and Kolor in the short term.. Even their Gimbal Handle is a bit iffy.. Its does nothing much.. The OSMO is heaps better.. The price for the GoPro has come down but I personally still would not buy one.. They are still expensive. The optics for a single camera is still very good.. But the DJI CAM in my view is heaps better.. I hope to buy the Sports Kits before we go to Thailand.

Destiny...

no avatar
jimbee

Topic author
Info

by jimbee » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:49 am

You should be writing these tech articles! :)
Most all of your points elaborated on here:
http://www.technewsworld.com/story/84097.html

Destiny wrote:GoPro created something really nice looking but it lacked so many basic features, which was real shame. I feel it was doomed after the Mavic was lanced but now its dead or dying..
I am so amazed GoPro did not just stick with what it knows about mini cameras and get into the In Car Cams, which is booming and Personal Cams too for the police and military.
I sure hope GoPro will survive since I fear for Kolor.. A recall like this will be very harmful for GoPro and Kolor in the short term.. Even their Gimbal Handle is a bit iffy.. Its does nothing much..
Destiny...

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:00 am

Ya.. but my points I feel are a bit obvious, well to me they are.. So its bound to be repeated in some way by others who have formed the same opinions.. I did write a while back some choice words related to the CEO of GoPro but I thought better not post.. :lol:

If I was the CEO of GoPro I would allow Kolor to go forth and find ALL opportunities in the 360 Video and Virtual Tour media market. This would have an off-shoot in helping GoPro too.. I really hated it when Kolor remove all support from other hardware solutions. That was not a good move in my opinion.. In fact I feel it was very narrow minded.. Kolor has some of the best software engineers in this media area so their talents should be allowed to develop way beyond a GoPro solution..

I was hoping that GoPro would have developed their own 360 camera option rather than branching out into the Drone market, which is a very limited market, where DJI have mastered it.. It would take a very brave or .. stupid person to think they could step into that market without getting their fingers burnt.

I feel GoPro should have put their efforts and talents into developing a purpose made affordable 360 Video CAM. This in my opinion will be a mega booming social media market if the right solution was developed. Samsung stuffed their efforts up and so did Nikon. There are others like the 360 Fly which might be OK as well as others which seem promising.. There are also others that are door stops which are basically a waist of money.. Other options including the Nokia OZO are far too expensive and really only for Pros.

It all seems so stupid to me.. GoPro have Kolor who know how to develop great software. GoPro know how to make high end camera optics.. GoPro know that the RIG is not the best option.. So why in hell don't GoPro develop a decent 360 Video option.. Its a good job their shares sold well otherwise the question would be.. But, they have been going South for far too long so it might well become, GoPro who!... No longer can they rely on their action camera sales, since so many others have jumped into their market.. They basically left the back door open.. Oh well.. I hope if all turns out ok..

Destiny...

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:58 am

Hey... My girlfriends husband has just brought into school his Karma... I did not know they bought one... During breaktime we tried to see it fly... It stared up ok but kept cutting out after only getting up to about a meter in the air.. It a real shame.. The drone is really nice looking..Its very well designed... very light... The case is really nice... The gimble detaches easy but the handle is just that... A handle... The OSMO has many more featurs, but I have only ever seen it in youtube...

Real shame we did not get to see it fly... I wonder why it keeps cutting out... Totally stops working... it seems the wifi cuts out.. the issue might just need a software update to fix it... I guess GoPro already tried that...

Destiny..

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:48 am

My girlfriends husband Frank, gave his Karma another go today.. It worked.. I think it just needed to be fully charged.. It does not sound very nice.. a bit like a huge mosquito.. The controls are very very delicate.. It seemed to be quite stable in the air.. It only worked for about 4 minutes before it stopped working altogether.. Good job it did not stop while in the air. It did not have his GoPro attached since it was damaged during another test flight. Its incredibly light.. I am so surprised at that.. Real shame it's a dud.. It doesn't look like a dud, in fact its very nice looking.. It all packs into a nice case very easily.. I wonder if GoPro will try again.. Frank will return his Karma tomorrow.. So that will be that.. =(

I wonder if the name was the jinx. 'Karma' is a very powerful force.. :rolleyes:

Destiny...

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:21 am

Hi... Frank, the guy with the Karma, told us that an eagle took his mates drone out of the sky.. We thought, "No way" but.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr-xBtVU4lg
It was not a Karma, not sure what kind of drone, but in Australia we have some huge eagles with an 8' or 2.5 meter wig span.. I often seem them flying on the way to work.. Just bad luck if that happened.. and expensive.. :rolleyes:
I motor hand glider was taken down by a drone last week, on the News.. The pilot is ok but he was almost killed.. The drone was destroyed.. The pilot stamped on it..

Destiny...

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:31 am

Hi.. Not sure why some companies are still advertising and trying to sell the Karma.. No mention that its been recalled..

Real shame.. The Karma was a very well design package. Beautiful in fact. https://sphere.net.au/collections/gopro ... karma-case

So, what's to become of all the drones already made.. Will the new GoPro drone be called the GoPro Phenix :lol: .. Rises from the ashes of doom.. Personally I feel GoPro should stick with what it knows and develop around that.. To attempt to step onto the Drone market with a drone lacking in so many basic features was a big mistake... The drone was out of date before it was even made.. Basically, out of date thinking in so many ways.. Any product like this should be designed with the future in mind.. and not the present or past.. I was thinking of applying for the bosses job.. :p =D

I am sure GoPro could if they really tried, make a workable single unit video 360 cam.. With Kolor Software inside.. With an underwater housing.. made very light so drones could mount it on.. It would need to have options for live feed video so it could be used for 360 video conferencing, search and rescue, social media with at the very least 4K video with a vision to go 6K as technologies develop.. WiFi and all the other goodies including Military and security options/applications. Robust enough where it can be used just like a GoPro H5.. Unless GoPro gets their act together, other mobs will steal their limelight. Step into the void.. A great 360 Video Cam will come.. I am sure of that, the question is.. Who will make it.. and who will fall by the wayside..???

I think what wonders will be annoyed during 2017.. Will it be the year for great 360 video hardware.. One thing is certain, Virtual Reality is becoming more accepted as a worth while media.. Option have been advertised on our TV...

Destiny...

no avatar
jimbee

Topic author
Info

by jimbee » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:46 am

Destiny wrote:I am sure GoPro could if they really tried, make a workable single unit video 360 cam.. With Kolor Software inside.. With an underwater housing.. made very light so drones could mount it on.. It would need to have options for live feed video so it could be used for 360 video conferencing, search and rescue, social media with at the very least 4K video with a vision to go 6K as technologies develop.. WiFi and all the other goodies including Military and security options/applications. Robust enough where it can be used just like a GoPro H5

I don't disagree with anything you say, but my totally uninformed guess here is that from a profitability perspective GoPro rightfully calculated that drones, or UAVs, offered much more potential ROI than 360 video. Yes, folks here are apt to be on the bleeding edge and excited about 360 video but I don't think the interest or marketing potential there is anywhere near what it is for UAVs. From my limited perspective I know dozens of people that fly one kind of UAV or the other. Don't know anyone much interested in 360 video.

That well may change as the UAV market becomes more saturated and 360 video becomes more prevalent and user friendly in various scenarios. And nobody can deny that GP screwed up this initial offering big time. Surely no company is invulnerable and this could be the first shoe dropping in a continuing decline, however given their resources and vast number of users I wouldn't bet too heavily against them bouncing back. Who knows what other devices are in their pipeline.

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:06 am

Well, I also wonder what GoPro have cooking in their labs.. The Karma was a leap of faith, but it lacked in so many ways. With the launch of the Mavic at about the same time, the writing was on the walls very quickly.. Why bother buying a Karma when you can buy heaps more with the Mavic for the same money..

I feel that the drone world is in for a few restrictions.. A few drones flying in our skies is acceptable. But we are reading more and more drones causing accidents. A drone the other day flew into a ladies bedroom causing her to drop her baby.. she smashed the drone and called the police.. Not sure what happened next.. Its probably still in the courts. It was on our news. Personally I would love a drone but we would need to go out somewhere quite with few people to fly it.. People tend to get angry if they are being videoed. It will be the few idiots that will spoil it for everyone.

I saw that Amazon or some other mob, used a drone to deliver a package. It took minutes to do.. I really do feel that application will be limited.. Not sure I would agree that the drone market would be bigger than the 360 video... I feel that its very early days for that media. Its a hardware solution which has a very small footprint on the environment. It does not interfere with others.. There are few limitations.. Only time will tell... ;)

Destiny...

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:39 am

Here are some awesome drone technologies.. I can see why GoPro had ideas to step into this market but as far as I am concerned, it was far too little in the way of innovation in technology and a wrong marketing approach. I have seen some crazy old videos with flying cars which failed to work, but these days new materials and heaps better technologies are making thing like this possible where it was impossible just a few years ago. Drone technologies seems to be developing into the flying car ideas. I can really see that taking off in the future, partially if they keep on a road way system.. Like a hovering cars, which drives itself.

Some video clips at these links might look great and fun but it would just not be possible to have a drone flying flowing a people or at the beach unless it was a remote beach in Australia. Restrictions are set in place to stop this.. However I can see a real value in drones for search and rescue, delivery systems and security.. and most defiantly Military.. A thousand fully armed drones working autonomously to fight a battle.. Attaching themselves to tanks and other vehicles etc and then Booom!.. That would be a huge market.. I could even see a thousand drones being sent to the moon or even mars to collect Helium3.. Just one bucket of that stuff could fuel a city for a month or more. It could fuel a battle ship for a year.. or more.. We might even fly in air craft fuelled with H3..

For a thousand years humans developed very slowing but in the last 100 years, humans have developed at a mind boggling speed.. I am certain that the next few Photokina shows, there will be some really awesome stuff unveiled.. I saw how they invented Carbon Fibre, some kind of black smoke. Totally crazy stuff.. and I saw a TV show where they are trying to use a particular Spiders Web Tread to use in electronics since electricity can pass through it better than copper or gold.. and its cheap... and very light.. Even use it to make parts for other things replacing plastics.. In just a few years we might even see a drone made using Spider Web filaments. Stronger than carbon fibre.. lighter and cheaper..

Destiny..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1E9jtE1aAk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGK6Bpc8pH0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48j7s92TYQk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGK6Bpc8pH0

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:35 am

Hey... We have just had a very interesting Australia 2020 Future program on TV.. But even now many things are already happening.. They had a drone on auto shark patrols, also capable of dropping small self inflating buoyancy rings for drowning swimmers.. They reckon home delivery drones dropping parcels off will be everywhere in the future. This is already happening. Medical drones that can deliver emergency defibrillators and link to a hospital in real time.. Delivering organs from hospital to hospital.

GoPro should not give up on the drone idea... In my view they should specialise and develop technically advanced drones. Think future needs. They even had a drown so powerful it was dragging a surfer in the ocean on a rope... Crazy..

As long as people do not do stupid things with a drone, to spoil things for others, the future of drone looks very exciting.

Its seems one of the biggest future visions is in Virtual Reality. It will be everywhere used in all kinds of ways. I just wonder how Kolor can capitalise in one that areas a lot more..

Destiny...

Previous