Whats new @ Photokina  

All things panoramic.
An open forum for every topic on photography, panoramas, IT or related.
no avatar
jimbee

Topic author
Liked in: 10 posts
Info

Re: Whats new @ Photokina

by jimbee » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:46 am

A support person at Gigapan told me there would be an announcement from them at Photokina. Haven't see/heard anything yet. I use their Epic Pro and really like it.

Destiny

Liked in: 214 posts
Info

by Destiny » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:50 am

Hey.. I would assume that since GoPro have mounted their camera on the front of their new Drone... That the need to edit out the props would be greatly reduced.. If the Drone can spin 360 on itself while hovering to capture a full 360 pano.. I would also expect that the overlap would remove a lot of what might be left in the image during stitching..

The Drone cost about $1000+ Aus and the new GoPro HERO5 Black is about $530 Aus.. I think its all priced quite well. Its affordable. Although it looks heaps better than the other GoPro's, I still think it could look more rugged looking. Its supposed to be an Action Camera.. I have always felt all the GoPros released should look like an action camera.. The little silver camera looks like it would be more at home in a ladies purse.. not that you would find one in mine.. haha..

I wonder if GoPro will have their own 3-Axis Hand Held Gimbal system. The Osmo option is amazing..

Destiny..

gkaefer

Liked in: 15 posts
Info

by gkaefer » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:48 pm

Destiny wrote:I wonder if GoPro will have their own 3-Axis Hand Held Gimbal system. The Osmo option is amazing..

Destiny..

yes the gimbal of the karma can be removed from the drone and plugged together with the karma grip

actually karma is well worth its money
Casey Neistats Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf16mp6Nbh8

its a "gen 3" drone, so dont expect features like obstacle avoidance, ultrasonic camera to downside to allow position holding without gps, or more sophisticated flying modes well known from gen 4 drones currently on market.

its a well formed package foldable without need of removing props, backpack ready not bulky high than phantoms from dji.

Having the gopro5 in front of the drone and not under the drone makes it easier to avoid props and light flickers sun/shadow through moving props falling on image... but it makes it not very easy to fly forward and looking with camera backward. turning camera 180 to look back is not possible.

well, I never thought such (negative) commentary about gopro (and later Nikon too) would be possible:
https://youtu.be/CmzFe_3wwGQ?t=1090
Attachments
features-detail-grip_v2.png
Last edited by gkaefer on Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:47 am

Well... I truely loved that video intro into the GoPro Karma.. Very funny and a great inside into the Karma.. I am not affiliated with GoPro.... and in many ways I do not like the little silver box partially heaps of them setup on a Rig where the quality is often yuck. However, I have to say, I am totally impressed with the Karma and the quality of the video it captures.. I have been wanting to buy a Drone for a long time but.. Like the guy on the video makes clear, the DJI is not exactly something you can pack away and carry around on a bush hike, which was a main factor in not buying one. However, the Karma is much more packable for traveling and walking in the bush.. Hey, I alway believe in Karma. So, its nice to know a Drone has been named after my most trusted statement in life..

I love the Gimbal and it seems to work very well, and I love the way it can be removed easily from the drone and attach to your person.. I also love the fact there is no need for a mobile phone or tablet. Its all visual via the controller.. The fact that a much better looking GoPro cameras has been added makes it even better.. Would have been a real shame to add the silver box thing..

I must admit I love the DJI Osmo with the 5X camera but.. is just far too expensive for me... As for the Karma with GoPro Hero5, its totally affordable.. at about $1440 AUS-D.. Its got so much for a great price..

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... black.html

The GoPro Hero5 is heaps better looking. Its actually starting to look like an rugged action cam..
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... black.html

Question: Can the Karma shoot a 360 pano image .. If so, I would love to see a demo of one..

Question: Does the GoPro Hero5 sho shoot RAW.. ??

Question: Does the Karma controller have a clip on strap..??

Well done to GoPro for designing a great Drone..

Destiny....

gkaefer

Info

by gkaefer » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:10 am

I only can answer the raw question. Yes raw footage can be recorded by the hero 5.

Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:04 am

Thats good to know.. Is that with still images too..

I have seen a comparison between the GoPro4 and the DJI 5X cameras video footage. I feel GoPro optics are good but not great.. The 5X is not great, its awesome..

The issue with the DJI 5X cameras is price.. If GoPro can improve their optics to match the 5X but keep the price down.. That can only be a good thing..

Destiny...

Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:08 am

I should have expanded the tech info...

"Raw File Option: In addition to standard JPEG capture, the HERO5 Black can also capture raw images in the .GPR format. Raw images offer enthusiasts or professional photographers more flexibility after the photo is taken. Raw images can be processed after-the-fact for higher quality output."

What is GPR format..?? Can that open as a RAW in Photoshop RAW.... The downside to the DJI 5X, is the RAW option.. Its very very expensive, about double the price.

Destiny..

Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:51 am

I read about a Drone that could be set to follow a person on a sky slope etc.. It would be great if the person was running or walking and the Drone could just follow and capture without the control person worrying about it until they want it to come home. I wonder if the Karma can do that.. I would also like to know if it can capture around an object like a building or statue..

Destiny..

no avatar
jimbee

Topic author
Info

by jimbee » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:47 am

Destiny-

My 3DR Solo as well as DJI's latest offerings all have a "follow me" mode. Solos have what they call "smart shots" one of which is "orbit" which will circle an object such as building, tree, whatever as you control the camera angle, diameter of the orbit, altitude etc. Very cool...

Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:42 am

Thank you for that Jim. Yes, that is the one I saw.. Now I have the name of it, I found the video I was checking out a year ago..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rtfy2zT6Gw8

I like the attitude of the young guy, very give it a go, full of innovation and optimism...... A few things I did not like about that unit at that time, the biggest was price, way expensive.. and also that version of GoPro.. I really do not like that GoPro design at all, it really does to look the part.. I think the optics could be better too, but its still very good... My girlfriend bought a GP-H4 or it might have been the H3, not sure, but we found it really hard to setup, its really fiddly.. I cannot imaging setting up a heap of them for a RIg.. The GoPro H5 has a LCD display so it should be heaps easier. That makes all the difference.. I also like the fact that the Karma has the display all in one controller.. But I guess some users might like an option to use a Smart Phone or Tablet if the user wanted to...

A big thing for me with the Karma is the fact you can take the Gimbal out.. Not sure the Solo can do that. But there are so many features about the Solo I like, such as the smart follow and orbit.. and the high tech computers on board.. which can be updated..

With DJI, I love their Gimbal.. its awesome.. I absolutely love their Osmo, partially with the 5X camera attached, but I do not like their Drone.. Its far too big and clumsy for traveling and walking around with.. Nothing folds away.. But I saw they have a new options coming out soon.. Things are always changing..

If I had the money, I would buy the Osmo gimbal setup with 5X camera. But not the RAW option, since it far too expensive.. But the Karma makes this option heaps better with a detachable gimbal that seems to work well..

As for a Drone, well I really like the GoPro Karma.. and at long last GoPro have made an action camera that look more like an action camera, more rugged looking.. But they could still do better.. :lol: :lol:

When I checked on the price of for the Solo it was very expensive, about $2400 for the entire kit, but I have noticed it has come down in price heaps.. I like what the Solo can do, but I am not sure I would buy one.. The Karma is so much more affordable.. and if it can do the Follow Me and Orbit.. I will buy one.. ;)

If I buy the Karma, I will take the Gimbal to Thailand with me in January next year.. Strap it to a scooter.. haha.. or an elephant.. =D

Destiny...

Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:37 am

The Karma can do Orbit.. =D but not sure about Follow Me.. It makes reference to something like that but not really sure.. Now that its released, I hope Kolor will be out making some demo arial 360 panos.. No prop in the sky so it has to spin 360 in the air.. Perhaps its preprogrammed to do it.. That would be nice..

Destiny...

Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:10 am

Whilst the new GoPro looks heaps better, in my view its still missing something.. The little GoPro5 Session, looks quite awesome in the front.. Strange name though.. Add that cool face to the ProPro Black and heaps better.. but still needs a bit more.. around the edge.. still not rough and tough looking enough

Destiny..
Attachments
GP5+.jpg
GP5+.jpg (17.6 KiB) Viewed 2220 times
GP5.jpg
GP5.jpg (15.79 KiB) Viewed 2220 times

Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:29 am

The Karma Grip is awesome. .. https://shop.gopro.com/APAC/stabilization

A couple of things missing which I found amazing with the Osmo.. and that is the ability to capture a full pano sphere automatically.. Works just like my VR Drive. That has to be on the To Do list for GoPro.. Also, it would be great to add a remote phone or tablet via wifi..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8YQHStLioE

Seems GoPro have not been sitting on the fence after all.. They have just been doing heaps of secret stuff.. and mostly great stuff too.. Now I have to ask, what else is GoPro up to.. =D

Destiny...

Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:38 am

Its all there in one neat pack.. It looks awesome.. Including the Stabilising Handle.. and I read there is space for spare batteries too since they only last about 20 minutes which take one hour to charge... Its not available until October so I can't wait to see some footage..

Destiny..
Attachments
gopro-karma-drone-review-september-bundle-includes-650-80.jpg

gkaefer

Info

by gkaefer » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:08 pm

The link to Casey neistats Video i posted above has karma footage (non 4k)
Georg

no avatar
jimbee

Topic author
Info

by jimbee » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:39 pm

The Solo does have a Panorama smart shot although I haven't tested it yet. And yes, the price has come down dramatically since it first came out. Around $600 USD most places these days. But I think your reservations about buying are well founded. 3DR seems to be focused primarily on Enterprise (aka: "very expensive") offerings and it's not clear at all whether there will any further development with their Solo UAV.

Destiny wrote:The Karma can do Orbit.. =D but not sure about Follow Me.. It makes reference to something like that but not really sure.. Now that its released, I hope Kolor will be out making some demo arial 360 panos.. No prop in the sky so it has to spin 360 in the air.. Perhaps its preprogrammed to do it.. That would be nice..

Destiny...

gkaefer

Info

by gkaefer » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:51 pm

On Photokina I found a Taiwanese company ultracker.com.
They offer two 360 cameras Aleta S1 and Aleta S2
the S1 (http://www.ultracker.com/index.html) with 4x 2MP sensors are low quality, but video can be streamed live, so some usage scenarios are possible...
the S2 (http://www.ultracker.com/S2.html)with 6x 14.5MP sensora can create up to 118MP panos (360"x316")
Contact Jennifer Lin if more Infos are needed: jennifer@ultracker.com

no info about prices
Attachments
photokina-aleta-S2.png
Ultracker.com Aleta S2
photokina-aleta-S1.png
Ultracker.com Aleta S1

gkaefer

Info

by gkaefer » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:08 pm

On photokina I saw the GOXTREME Actioncams:
the Black Hawk 4K with 4K up to 30fps down to 720p with up to 240 fps a nice action cam with LCD (no touch).

they also presented the 360 successor from their Full Dome 360" (HD) Camera: the cam named 4K DOME 360"

2 lenses in front and back with one lcd on top.
video recordings dual lens with 3K @ 24fps and lingle lens with 4K @24fps. the lenses have 205" angle, 2x4MP sensors.

Goxtreme: http://www.goxtreme-action-cams.com/en/action-cams/

no info online found until now, no idea about wuality or price....
Last edited by gkaefer on Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gkaefer

Info

by gkaefer » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:20 pm

On photokina I found a very interesting company http://www.aibird.com

they showcased a line of 3 axis handheld gimbals for phones, actioncams
uoplay, uoplay II, uoplay Se and uoplay G

thy also showcased their wing drone, interesting for high speed long distance aereal footage
Attachments
photokina-uoplay.png
photokina-uoplay-drone.png
Last edited by gkaefer on Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gkaefer

Info

by gkaefer » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:48 pm

at photokina I also saw the EKEN H8 Pro Actioncam:
http://www.eken.com/4k-wifi-cam/H8%20Pro
for 160€ very impresive. add a touchscreen and make it 60fps @4k and it would be my favorite....
I certainly will observe the EKEN the next 6 months to see how they react to gopro hero 5...

Georg
Attachments
photokina-eken-H8-Pro.png
Last edited by gkaefer on Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gkaefer

Info

by gkaefer » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:29 pm

my favorite drone I saw at photokina was the PowerEye from http://www.powervision.me
its not a drone with action footage in mind
but its a prosumer class 4th gen drone with features missing on other drones:
2 cams on board one for fpv and a second under the drone(*) 3axis gimbal 4/3 sensor based 4k camera with changable lenses.
it has obstacle avoidance, collision avoidance, 3.1 miles video link 30 minutes flight time.
The 30minutes fligth time is done by a double battery pack which fits in the drone. This has a nice side effect: FAA and other flight regulators dont allow batteries be taken with the hand luggage, but sitting in the drone its no problem...

(*) more and more important feature for pro usage. In Europe and recently with new legislation in US too the drone pilot has to fly with line of sight to the drone and operating the camera has to be done by a camera operator and may not be done by the pilot flying the drone.

the price I expect is in prosumeer range 2.0 K - 2.5 K (without lens).

will be interesting to see the image quality when hands on videos will hit youtube...
Attachments
photokina-powervision-PowerEye-Drone.png

gkaefer

Info

by gkaefer » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:46 pm

I saw an interesting ballhead from http://www.uniqqball.com which claims to be "Worlds only leveling ballhead - a ballhead, a pan-tilt head, a leveling base in one unit"

interested people from Austria: the ball is licensed to novovlex Germany... ordering it directly from uniqball will be cheaper if you use an Austria address (with higher delivery costs normal in Austria than in Germany... so sending it to logoix.de or other PO boxes in Germany will give you lower quotes for delivery, but a higher ball price because of novoflex area protection...)
Attachments
photokina-uniqball.png

gkaefer

Info

by gkaefer » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:00 pm

the most interesting 3-axis hand gimbal I found at FY booth at photokina (http://www.feiyu-tech.com)

they offer 3-axis gimbals for mobiles, actioncams up to mirrorless cameras and DSLRs with up to 1.63 kg weight.
(the screenshot shows the MG for mirrorless cams up to 1kg, the MGv2 presented at photokina (mirrorless and DSLRs up to 1.63kg) is not yet listed on fy homepage...)
Attachments
photokina-fy-MGv2-gimbal.png

Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:32 pm

EEEKS!.. .5 sec to capture a full pano. I hope its not another GiroCAN Door Stop.. :rolleyes: I will be keep my eyes on Ultracker... :)

Some nice gimbals handles have come onto the market. I really like the DJI options but its expensive..

That PowerEye looks awesome too.. but expensive.

I do not get some companies trying to sell their new Action Cameras looking like a GoPro hybrid. I am confused.... :rolleyes: With so many action cameras coming onto the market, some will fail unless they step up to the needs of the masses.. The upside to the EKEN H8 is the touch screen.. but what is the media output like.??. Sorry, I do not like this box design.. Again it does not suggest to me an Action Cam. Even the plastic housing is GoPro look-a-like... Perhaps GoPro sacked their designer and they went to work for this mob and GoPro hired a new designer.. :lol: :lol:

That drone from would be limited in sales since most drone now we have to have Line Of Sight.. But with that drone, it will be more of 'Now you see it now you don't'.. and hope it come back..

I was hoping that some drone company might come up with a some options for submersibles with cams. I feel that is a missed opportunity.. Taking a Sub down to the beach or local lake/dame to capture underwater... There are some already but expensive. Perhaps GoPro could design a GoSub.. ahahah...

Destiny...

gkaefer wrote:On Photokina I found a Taiwanese company ultracker.com.
They offer two 360 cameras Aleta S1 and Aleta S2
the S1 (http://www.ultracker.com/index.html) with 4x 2MP sensors are low quality, but video can be streamed live, so some usage scenarios are possible...
the S2 (http://www.ultracker.com/S2.html)with 6x 14.5MP sensora can create up to 118MP panos (360"x316")
Contact Jennifer Lin if more Infos are needed: jennifer@ultracker.com

no info about prices

gkaefer

Info

by gkaefer » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:32 pm

Destiny wrote:Taking a Sub down to the beach or local lake/dame to capture underwater... There are some already but expensive. Perhaps GoPro could design a GoSub.. ahahah...

well, maybe have a look here: :)
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1359605477/fathom-one-the-affordable-modular-hd-underwater-dr?ref=category_popular

500$...
Attachments
fathom-One.png
fathom-One-2.png

Next