Whats new @ Photokina  

All things panoramic.
An open forum for every topic on photography, panoramas, IT or related.
Destiny

Liked in: 214 posts
Info

Re: Whats new @ Photokina

by Destiny » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:44 pm

Well, I missed the really early bird option... :( so now I will wait.. I think its very affordable and at last an underwater drone is being made at an affordable price.. I am sure it will be one of many.. Less restriction for sure than flying an air drone.. There are lagoons in Thailand that are as clear as the water in your glass. Full of fish and turtles.. Using a GoPro H5 attached, should capture awesome video but it might need an stabilising gimbal too..

Destiny...

Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:23 am

So many things are possible to today.. I like this one... I like the live view option... via a cable..

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ibub ... ra-drone#/

Destiny...

Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:12 am

Heya..

So far I have not read much in the way of negative feedback about the new GoPro box of goodies.. It seems GoPro have been busy but.. The big question is; Are they working on a real 360 video option..??? I really do not know why they do not use their talents in optics into creating a real solution for a 360 Video Camera rather than a Rig, but I am not an engineer. I made a mock-up.. Its my vision of what a GoPro 360 Cam might look like =D =D

Destiny…
Attachments
SimLab.jpg

gkaefer

Liked in: 15 posts
Info

by gkaefer » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:38 pm

Hi Destiny,

have a look at this drone:
DJI Mavic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1d_ptE6yrc
other possible applications for the Mavic:
school/education: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EblBKqcFaYY
nature - shooting waves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkjd41wClqA
fun of flying: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YnfCSiCBQE ... this will never happen (flying that distance without line of sight radio will never work this way... but a good made ad ;-)
making panos with your new drone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GnyhzzjFjs

livestream event recorded 6 hours ago: https://youtu.be/tmNNe3TubsU?t=1400

Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:42 am

JUST AMAZING!.. Love it all. So many of the features I thought about these past few years, and more have been added into this Drone.. I stated above somewhere that wearing a headset with the new GoPro Karma would be a great feature but it seems DJI had already thought about that.. I always felt since seeing the first VR Headset that a Drone Headset would be awesome.. DJI seem to have thought about everything.. I really love it.. I also love their OSMO.. But I rather like the ZENMUSE X5 camera better than their standard camera.. Their RAW option is beyond my price range but the none RAW, still has the ZENMUSE X5 cameras and is more affordable, about half the price in fact.... DJI's new Drone is not expensive for what you get.. Its all the latest and greatest technology.. The only thing it doesn't do is dive underwater.. But hey.. one day that might come. haha..

Now it comes down to price and features.. Seems the Mavic cost about $500 more with less bits but it has the latest and greatest technology.. The price stated at the DJI website seems to not match what was stated at their presentation.. :rolleyes: Unless exchange rates have killed the cheapness.. I think a full list comparisons would be better.. GoPro is out dated already... But.. The GoPro kit also includes the Stabilising Stick and built in Viewer which I like.. I really want to buy a Gimbal.. As I has said before, I like the DJI OSMO Gimbal heaps but... its not cheap.. But again, it does so much more than the GoPro option.

Heaps to think about.. Great to have so many options.. Now all I need to do is save $$$$ .. :rolleyes:

Destiny..
Attachments
X-MavicPro.jpg
X-GoProKarma.jpg

Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:14 am

Oh hum.. :rolleyes: I have just realised that the GoPro Karma "Whats included" does NOT include a camera.. That will be an additional $570 AUD, making the GoPro Karma more expensive than the DJI Mavic, which includes a camera..

The Mavic cost $1699 AUD with free shipping.. Everything ready to go + $169 extra for the DJI Care... Just need a mobile phone... Using the latest and greatest technology with heaps of features..

The GoPro Karma cost $1196 + GoPro H5 $570 = $1766 AUD + Post since there is no mention that its free.. emm.. :rolleyes: Thats puts the Karma behind the eight ball in so many ways.. Real shame.. It not only cost more than the DJI Mavic, it's sadly lacking in up-to-date technologies.. I guess only time will tell how well it does..

The base DJI Osmo Gimbal Grip with 4K 12 MP camera cost $979 with free shipping.. Their Gimbal is awesome with heaps of features.

The GoPro Gimbal Grip cost $460 AUD but you need to buy the GoPr0 H5 + $570 AUD.. = $1030, no mention about free shipping.. So again, GoPro cost more and has none of the features as you can find in the DJI Osmo Grip... :rolleyes:

These prices stated here are from their own websites.. Buying in Australia will probably cost more since there is tax to add.. :(

I wonder why DJI did not attend the Photokina..

Destiny...

Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:57 am

Hey...

As I said above, the DJI Osmo Gimbal has heaps of features.. But it cost less than the GoPro Stick, which is really all it is.. 'A Stick', since the GoPro option does nothing accept steady the camera. Sorry, but thats not good enough.. :rolleyes:

Check these vids out below.. Just awesome.. but.. with the Zenmuse X5 camera it cost heaps :rolleyes: =( .... however it has a cheaper X3 camera option :cool: , which can do the same.. as you will see.... =D I love the fact you can upload a pano to Facebook and more. or use the images to create a VR Tour..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dspSStDp5cw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jvLPvbpl9Y

I love all this new technology.. I feel sad that some companies working in secret to create what they think is the latest and greatest piece of hardware when in reality, its not.... DJI really have a wonderful fluid vision.. It looks like awesome gear, and seems to be well made. The difference in price between their standard X3 camera and their X5 is huge.. But their X3 camera still captures 4K video. Its suggested to be very similar to the GoPro quality, so still very good.. But after you have seen a comparison between their standard X3 camera and their X5, you would really want the Zenmuse X5 cameras for sure... but ouch.. expensive. and the Zenmuse X5-R, R for RAW, is double that again.. ouch!!! Far to much for me..... But for pros, wow..! The other advantage of buying the Zenmuse X5 is you can change the lenses. Very nice.. =D :cool: The DJI Gimbal you can press the button to capture selfies too.. or press it to reset to a fixed position.. I did not see any of these options on the GoPro demo video.. With the DJI Gimbal, you do not even need to buy a camera. You can attach and use your own mobile phone.. All this hardware is all brand new technology, so it will be a while before we see some decent reviews..

Destiny...

Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:09 am

At B & H, its not very clear but I think the Karma with GoPro H5 works out to be a couple of hundred dollars cheaper and it comes with the Karma Stick.. It really depends on the deals being offered since early birds seem to get offers depending on which web site you look at.... One thing is certain, when they arrive in Australia nothing will be cheap.. ;(

Destiny...
Attachments
x-MavicBandH.jpg
X-KarmaBandH.jpg

gkaefer

Info

by gkaefer » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:48 am

Destiny wrote:I wonder why DJI did not attend the Photokina..

Destiny...

they did...
but marvic was not shown (public at least...)
Attachments
dji-photokina.png

Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:26 am

Perhaps DJI wanted to test the water to see what GoPro came up with in terms of pricing and features.

My girlfriend and me have just been viewing the Mavic videos.. We really do think GoPro has done a great job of their Karma drone design but in terms of features its very limited, partially compared with the Mavic.. That drone is just awesome. I do like the way the entire gimbal comes out and can be fitted to the Karma Stick.. but the Karma stick is sooo limited.. Its really just a gimbal handle. The DJI gimbal can do soooo much more..

What we want to buy is too expensive, as in the X5 camera. We really want to take a Gimbal to Thailand.. So I think in all honestly, we will buy the DJI gimbal with the X3 camera, and when we can afford to, we can upgrade the camera to the X5... The X3 can capture the same 4K video as a GoPro, but we can also capture some panos of Thailand too using their software.. and selfies while riding the motor scooter. It should be heaps of fun.. I might even buy the connector to fit it to the scooter handlebars or side panel of the motor scooter, since the DJI has some sucker things for that.. Last time we went to Thailand John had to hold my almost new D800 with one hand as we travelled along, which was a bit dodgy, and the video was so bouncy it was horrible.

Destiny..

Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:20 am

I was introduced to the Osmo only a couple of weeks ago.. Since then we have wanted one. We will probably buy the Sport options which seems to have everything.. Apparently there are different batteries, going by that video info above.. Not really sure what the difference is.. But this kit looks like its comes with 2.. I think we might need more.. since that will only give use about 1 hour I think.. It has the handlebar mounting and the suckers.. and a case.. =D

http://store.dji.com/product/osmo-with- ... essory-kit

I think for $1400 its great value.. I really want to use the Pano App...... See how it goes.. Apparently, I do not have to use a Mobile phone with the Osmo.. I can use a Apple iPod I think... Don't have one of those either but at least they are cheaper than a mobile phone..

They gave a little intro into the Osmo at that video launch of the Mavic but nothing much was said about it.. Was it at the Photokina show.. Did anyone have a chance to play with it.. ???

Destiny...

Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:52 pm

Ha.. Some people asked me.. "But where it the tripod hole?".. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33366&start=25#p189033

"Well, its on the other corner", I tell them =D .. I call this "Destiny's 360 Fantasy" I am currently taking orders for those who would like one of my "Fantasies.".. You can send me lots of $$$ to make "Destiny's Fantasy" of being rich a reality.. :cool: :lol:

http://www.destinyvirtualtours.com/360I ... 60Cam.html

Destiny...

no avatar
jimbee

Topic author
Liked in: 10 posts
Info

by jimbee » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:57 pm

Finally seeing some details about Gigapan's new Epic Pro, but very little info beyond this video. Nothing on their site.

https://vimeo.com/183578855

Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:59 pm

Its good to see they have been developing their Gigapan. That video option sounds great... I like the Gigapan, and I was going to buy one but decided on the VR Drive as a more appropriate pano head for my needs.. I do not shoot gigapixel image.. I wanted to capture indoors pano VR Tours... But if I was more into gigapixel images, I would probably have bought the Gigapan.... I like their software too..

Destiny..

gkaefer

Info

by gkaefer » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:57 pm

yesterday and today I saw Casey Neistats dji mavic footage...
... and what should I say...
bump.... the dji mavic footage is blurry, spongy... when I do describe it polite.
not worth the money at all. 1500€ for a drone system and as a result no single sharp image, not in front not in distance. the image is additionally shaking, making the footage even more blurry.

so 5:0 for DJI talking about features
but in sum I rather like to get sharp and crisp images than hunting for most convenience to get the footage.
clear my sum up: gopro karma is taking the win.

please gopro: work for additional software features, maybe addons like obstacle avoidance

dji mavic will only get me as customer with next gen they certainly will bring within 6 months in form of mavic2 with same drone but better camera...

the video I talk about: https://youtu.be/sw4jDjYnR0U?t=8

Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:59 pm

Hi George

That Casey Neistats is so funny.. But I feel he engages people and knows his stuff.. I love watching him..

As for viewing at 4K. Our current interest is horribly show... 4K might be the way to go but who can view it.??. In time it will get better as internet speeds get better, but I am guessing 6K video will be available by then.. :rolleyes:

I really love the Karma. Its a beautiful Drone and folds away with all the stuff you need in one neat pack. But, it cost about the same as the Mavic, which is even smaller and some prices quoted suggest its cheaper than the Karma.. The Karma does come with a Handle but its only a stick.. It basically does nothing other than hold the Gimble.. That to me is a let down. Big time!.. The Osmo Gimbal is so much better..

Even thought I love the Karma design and feel GoPro have done a great job, I personally would not buy one.. It lacks features.. GoPro really need to go all out to add software into their new Drone otherwise it might fail. If I am buying a brand new Drone today, I would want all the latest and greatest technology like Follow Me and Collision Avoidance, which are really important features. Its bad enough buying hardware only to find a few weeks later its out of date, which often happens, but to buy a Drone knowing its way out of date, before you even buy it.. emmmm :rolleyes: The Mavic seems to have so much more going for it BUT!..

... at the end it all comes down to quality of video captured. The Karma has a GoPro attached, a tried and tested camera.. I like the optics from a single GoPro. What I do not like is the media from a bunch of GoPros bunched together into a Rig, but that is different story.. :rolleyes: The Photom 4 quality is heaps better than the Mavic, which not great at all.. If the selling point is portability I would go with Quality every time.. Even Casey Neistats states the quality from the Mavic "is good but not great" but he preferred portability.. When Casey Neistats holds the GoPro H5, you can see that the edges of the bridge is as sharp as the Phantom 4 footage.. If he did not have a Drone, GoPro should have lent him a Gimbal handle.

So, would I buy the Mavic with that quality..? NO!.. I would not... So what needs to happens is a GoPro H5 needs to be attached to the Mavic.. =D :cool: So that suggests that the Mavic optics are not so good and the GoPro Karma Drone it self is not so good.. But to me,.... I would suggest that updated software is easier to develop than optics in a camera.

If GoPro gets the Tech more advanced with all the latest and greatest features, I WOULD buy a Karma.. But until they do, I will not..

I will also state this to GoPro.. FIX YOUR GIMBAL HANDLE to make it 'betterer' and much 'gooder' and more 'funer'.... =D =D

Design it like the Osmo and you will sell millions. Put me down for No.1.. But, sorry, too late. :p I will be buying the Osmo Sports setup as soon as I figure out why we in Australia get charged heaps more than those mobs from the USA. Is is because we like to be ripped off all the time..

Here at the B&H website, the Osmo Sports option cost..
You Pay: USD $799.00 AUD $1,045.89
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... _with.html

Where as at the DJI's own website it cost..
http://store.dji.com/product/osmo-with- ... d_products
AUD $1,399.00 FREE SHIPPING You Save AUD $378.00 ... WHERE ARE THE SAVINGS!!! If you add the $378, to that price, they suggest that it would normally cost $1,777 which is HEAPS more than the USA pay.. I pointed that out on their website but they have not responded.. :rolleyes: Even though I like the Osmo, if I feel I am being ripped off I would never buy it.. So anyone thinking of buying one.. DO YOUR RESEARCH!!.. Do not get ripped off.!!

Destiny....

klausesser

Liked in: 63 posts
Info

by klausesser » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:01 am

Destiny wrote:The downside to the DJI 5X, is the RAW option.. Its very very expensive, about double the price.

But it´s very, very good!

This one definitely is professional-grade - saw it on a TV-set and had the opportunity to test it myself:

https://www.marcotec-shop.com/en/ikan-e ... meras.html

Perfect with D800/Canon 5Dxx and so on.

best, Klaus

Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:07 am

I would agree 100% .. But for me the X5 would be a better option, but even that camera cost heaps. I absolutely love the X5 cameras quality.. Noticeably better than a GoPro.. If I was a professional video person, with a business in this area, I WOULD buy an X5-. Its expensive but.. very very good.. and very very portable.. and attached to the DJI Gimbal.. Its all AWESOME!!.

Destiny..

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:00 pm

Destiny wrote:If I was a professional video person, with a business in this area, I WOULD buy an X5-. Its expensive but.. very very good.. and very very portable.. and attached to the DJI Gimbal.. Its all AWESOME!!.

In the professional area you would need uncompressed video and a larger sensor.

The D800´s HDMI-port provides uncompressed video which you can record via a Blackmagic-Shuttle
on a SSD. The shuttle is cheap and very small - you put a SSD in it and off it goes.

You also can use an Atmos Ninja and familiar devices.

Taking into account that you already have an excellent camera and lenses, using a DSLR gimbal like the
Ikan EC1 you have a rig which is also used by TV-professionals, you are in the game at around 1000.-$ - which obviously is way less than buying an X5 with gimbal and stuff for around 5000.-$.

And the D800´s video-output quality is remarkably.

I several times watched TV-people using the EC1 Beholder on assignments and talked to them about it´s use in the field -
the told me they never had something more easy to use and working perfectly - aside from an (original) Steadicam . . which costs around 30000.-$ (but is still unbeatable).

Another interesting inspiration:
http://nofilmschool.com/2015/03/nikon-d ... quicklapse

Klaus

Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:03 pm

Well yes.. Good to know.. But since I am not a pro photographer, I will be leaving my D800 at home this time, last time it got damaged :rolleyes: =( , and buy the Osmo Sports after I work out where the cheapest place to buy one is.. I sent an email to DJI a few days ago, and never had a response, so if their before sales service is useless, I doubt I would get any after sales support.. So I might not bother buying an Osmo... I could just buy the GoPro Stick since all we really want is an option to take a portable camera to Thailand where we can capture steady video.. The last time we went to Thailand, my husband held my D800 as we travelled along on a motor scooter, consequently the resulting video was yuck. The roads in Thailand can be terrible. A gimbal setup seems to be the best option.. We will still get nice video from a single GoPro but we would have liked all the extra features the Osmo has to offer..

Destiny...

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:24 pm

Destiny wrote: and buy the Osmo Sports after I work out where the cheapest place to buy one is..

What about Amazon?

Klaus

Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:34 am

Can't see it at Amazon..

D..

gkaefer

Info

by gkaefer » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:55 pm

gkaefer wrote:yesterday and today I saw Casey Neistats dji mavic footage...
... and what should I say...
bump.... the dji mavic footage is blurry, spongy... when I do describe it polite.
not worth the money at all. 1500€ for a drone system and as a result no single sharp image, not in front not in distance. the image is additionally shaking, making the footage even more blurry.

so 5:0 for DJI talking about features
but in sum I rather like to get sharp and crisp images than hunting for most convenience to get the footage.
clear my sum up: gopro karma is taking the win.

please gopro: work for additional software features, maybe addons like obstacle avoidance

dji mavic will only get me as customer with next gen they certainly will bring within 6 months in form of mavic2 with same drone but better camera...

the video I talk about: https://youtu.be/sw4jDjYnR0U?t=8

well lol. Casey did trap into the pitfall, many other reviewer did it too since the mavic presentation...
... they did not realize that the dji mavic has no fixed focus, but an manual/automatic focus... default set to manual ;-)
result... all videos I saw until now were out of focus, blurry at all...
how to focus? just tap with a finger on the mobile screen where you want to focus to...
much much more pleasant video footage I found here: https://youtu.be/v7V5K_-0Un4

Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:26 pm

OMB Oh My Buddha. haha. I thought I was viewing 4K and wondered why it was playing so well.. But the video defaults to viewing at only 1080 HD.. So I ramped it up to 4K... Holy buddha. I WANT ONE!!!.. The colours are vibrant, the clarity is awesome.. I could even see the grain of sand on the beach.. DJI make some awesome gear. I really love their Osmo and particularly their X5 camera.. I would love to take one to Thailand but I will have to settle for the X3.. The focus feature is amazing..

DJI are going to sell millions of the Mavic... Its an awesomely made Drone.. Sooooo small.. Soooo portable.. Soooooooo cooooool!! If I could afford to buy now, I WOULD!!.. :lol: But it is very very affordable... Another issue I have, I do not own a mobile phone.. So I would need to buy one of those too.. But I did hear that an Apple iPod could be used which is heaps cheaper than an Apple phone. I will check that out....

Destiny....

Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:57 pm

I just had to view the video again all the way through in 4K.. I am truly blown away by the quality of video.. Its truly the best I have ever seen from a Drone... I viewed the video from my iMac 27in Retina Monitor at full screen and it was just awesome. It takes a bit of time to load but that is my internet speed, but not too bad.. I had to press stop to allow it to load..

I would love to see a full pano sphere captured using the Mavic drone.. The steadiness of this drone is amazing in Tripod Mode.. No negatives at all.. It can only get better.. =D

Destiny...

PreviousNext