New 360 Video Cameras...  

All things panoramic.
An open forum for every topic on photography, panoramas, IT or related.
no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Liked in: 228 posts
Info

New 360 Video Cameras...

by Destiny » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:32 pm

Hi.

The Samsung Gear 360 Spherical VR Camera has just been announced as available and it seems at an affordable price.. I have yet to see much in the way of demo videos.. For me though, I am still hanging out for the Nikon KeyMisson.. I am sure that will be announce soon too.. These two new 360 video cameras will allow 360 video and VR Tours to gain much more traction in the 360 media market.. So it can only be a good thing..

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... amera.html

Not so sure about these issues from a review..

1. Viewable stitch line on almost all of my captured 360 video clips.
2. Wireless control only works with newer, Samsung smart phones. My "Samsung Note 4" didn't work :(
3. Hard to hold and handle without touching either of the lenses.
4. Must use software on a separate device to stitch video.
5. Stitching software only works on a PC. =(

Destiny...

no avatar
VR2GO

Liked in: 0 post
Info

Re: New 360 Video Cameras...

by VR2GO » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:03 am

Hi,

1. I rarely have this problem except for objects really close to the camera, I would say less than 3-4 feet.
2. Samsung S6 at least but I have seen APK packages for other phones that supposedly work with the modified version of the software...
3. True but easy to clean up before use...
4. Either that or on your phone through the software.
5. Indeed lol

It's a really good camera for the price and for the new opportunities it brings for content creators though! And the fact that you can go from filming 360 to viewing it in the Gear VR within minutes to get an idea of your output is huge!

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:29 am

Actually I was really looking forward to playing with some of the media, but I use a Mac.. So for me its a dud.. Unless they update the software issue..

It seems that most of the video one shot cams have issues close up.. Perhaps the issue is always present but not so noticeable at distance..

I will continue to hang out for the Nikon KeyMission.. I am sure it has to be better than the first demo video. I told Nikon they were very unacceptable.. If Nikon can get it right, the door is open for the industry leader in 360 Video.. So far, they all basically fail for one reason or another.

Destiny..

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:27 am

Looks like the Nikon KeyMisson has been delayed delayed delayed.. Who knows when it will be available... I sure hope when it is finally available.... they have fixed this terrible banding/stitching quality on their video.. Just terrible..!!

http://www.slashgear.com/nikon-has-vide ... -11422415/

.. and the huge Nadir Footprint makes it USLESS!!...

Destiny...

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:47 pm

Hi.. All I read so far about the Nikon KeyMission is a heap of hype about how great it is, from professional photographers which to me seems that Nikon is paving the way to brain washing us all before releasing their efforts.. From what I have seen so far, the Nikon KM is much the same as the Samsung Gear 360, which is basically horrible.. I had higher expectations with that unit.. We can only hope that the holdup with the KM is to change that quality to pure Nikon expectations on what Nikon can and should archive with their new 360 camera.

This article is very interesting.. I have not commented much on the Ricoh Theta S, but some of the efforts I have seen can be quite nice. In fact, on the whole heaps better than ANY Rig and much cheaper.. I feel that if the demo video was shot using 3-Axis Handheld Gimbal, and a better sound mic, it could view awesome.. At $460 AUD.. it affordable, much cheaper than when it first came out.. I would really like to test one out for my self.. using a 3-Axis Handheld Gimbal... and a decent mic..

https://www.wareable.com/cameras/big-te ... eview-2134

Destiny...

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:21 pm

Yesterday I read on B&H that the KeyMission was to be discontinued before it had been continued.. I thought that to be very odd. No others were suggesting this, even the Nikon website.. Today, they admitted getting it wrong.. Just in the last few hours the KeyMission has been announced as costing about $660 AD.. If it does all it says it can do I will buy one.. But Nikon has gone much further. I read about their other KeyMission lineup last week. Its seems Nikon have gotten into Action Cameras in a big way.. I rather like their 170 too..

If the KeyMission 360 does all its says it can do it will be amazing.. If they have fixed their parallax and blending issues that will be a first.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/promotio ... nding-page

The question I have, is where is their new 360 video demos.. Seems I need to find some.. Not really sure what camera shot the girl climbing the rock.. Its unclear..

I really look forward to seeing some 360 interactive footage captured using the KeyMission 360..

Destiny...

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:26 am

Hi...

This website below has a few options for 360 video.. Most I have mentioned before.. I do not know much about the VUZE or the LucidCam.. Its great that other options are becoming available.. It can only help to promote this media..

I have seen some video footage from the 360Fly.. Its not bad at all.. I am sure this company will do great things... I love the name and the units. But not ready to buy into them yet.. I would love to play with one.. =D

As for the Giroptic 360cam.. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: The Key Mission cost about $660, and full of Nikon technology.. The 360cam cost a bit more..... :rolleyes: I know which one I would be buying.. At this website suggest that there are a heap of angry backers.. I remember their first efforts causing so many to wast their money.. http://www.cnet.com/au/news/360-degree-cameras-2016/

Destiny....

gkaefer

Liked in: 15 posts
Info

by gkaefer » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:45 pm

Vuze... saw it yesterday on photokina. to be honest the big size of this discus is nonsense. walking with a selfistick and this camera you're getting to look very silly... quality: no idea - was not interested in after seeing the device. 30-50cm close to cam and objects may disappear (acording FAQ on homepage). that means stitching errors like any other cams the last 2 year were released on marked for low end consumer quality & price.

other 360cams I found on photokina:

sphericam.com ... not new not cheap but more quality than others

ultracker.com... aleta 360 Degree Action cam (image 6144x1792, video only 6fps, 1920x1080 with 30fps, big nadir and zenith, image quality usable for holiday uploads to Facebook, but not more.

goextreme-action-cams.com... 4k dome 360full dome 360 (the new category of 360 cams with two loenses front and back and with little lcd on top...) no idea about quality until now...

the Nikon Keymission360 was unter glass showcased, no sample videos showed. the video on homepage is as bad as my giroptic 360 cam with 2 year old tech build in.

(actually never saw worser NIKON and Canon booths last 20 years than this photokina, no infomaterial only products unter glass showcased...)

lucidcam: ???? 2 cams with 180x180 fov but both in same direction one for left eye one for right eye.... and why is this called a VR cam..... turing 180" with VR headset and you do see a black hole... nonsense

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:29 pm