technical help! shooting a floor...  

All things panoramic.
An open forum for every topic on photography, panoramas, IT or related.
no avatar
itsrichphoto

Topic author
Liked in: 5 posts
Info

technical help! shooting a floor...

by itsrichphoto » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:47 pm

I have been asked to shoot a whole floor. several thousand square feet. They want it in one image which I will stitch with autopano and publish with ptp.

Does anyone have any tips on doing this? what lens etc.

Many thanks! the summit of my creative career...

DrSlony

Liked in: 0 post
Info

Re: technical help! shooting a floor...

by DrSlony » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:04 pm

You've never shot and stitched panos before?
Is this one large room?

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:18 pm

itsrichphoto wrote:I have been asked to shoot a whole floor. several thousand square feet. They want it in one image which I will stitch with autopano and publish with ptp.

Do you men you wish to create a stitched image of a just a floor that is several thousand square feet in size.

What sort of premises is this?

no avatar
itsrichphoto

Topic author
Info

by itsrichphoto » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:54 pm

yup! just the floor in a flat image not spherical! I don't know exactly what kind of property it is, but I know it is empty.

Cliquetsy

Liked in: 119 posts
Info

by Cliquetsy » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:57 pm

I'd guess it'd be some type of giant floor mosaic or something. At least I hope for your sake, imagine a gigapixel of plain white floor tiles :O

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:06 pm

itsrichphoto wrote:I have been asked to shoot a whole floor. several thousand square feet. They want it in one image which I will stitch with autopano and publish with ptp.

Can you please tell what you´re talking about more detailed? What does "a whole floor" mean in detail??
How large is the room? What shooting-distance can you realize?

Klaus

no avatar
itsrichphoto

Topic author
Info

by itsrichphoto » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:25 pm

this is shooting just the floor! image shooting a painting in high resigned shooting tiles that will be stuck together. I don't know the size of the floor yet, but it will be to show underfloor heating. The tripod needs to stay parallel and at the same distance. It may be worth using a horizontal bar or column to avoid tripod legs or even a back drop support. The vertical support should then be out of view.

The obvious problem is parallax. Perhaps it is best to shoot closer or more zoomed in? just had a quick go with a 14mm on full frame. It could be better. different sections won't stitch and Autopano likes the images from the same angle. I had to reverse the viewpoint, the angle of the camera to get some of the walls in.

Cliquetsy

Liked in: 119 posts
Info

by Cliquetsy » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:30 pm

It would be the same as stitching aerial photos (theres a tutorial in Autopanos documentation). You'd have to make sure you stay absolutely parallel to the floor, same distance all over.

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:23 pm

itsrichphoto wrote:this is shooting just the floor! image shooting a painting in high resigned shooting tiles that will be stuck together. I don't know the size of the floor yet, but it will be to show underfloor heating. The tripod needs to stay parallel and at the same distance. It may be worth using a horizontal bar or column to avoid tripod legs or even a back drop support. The vertical support should then be out of view.

The obvious problem is parallax. Perhaps it is best to shoot closer or more zoomed in? just had a quick go with a 14mm on full frame. It could be better. different sections won't stitch and Autopano likes the images from the same angle. I had to reverse the viewpoint, the angle of the camera to get some of the walls in.

I don´t know which costs can be used in the project . .

The best way would be to use a Parallelogram-slider equipped with a motorized slide and controlled by a laptop.

But that´s rather expensive - two rails alongside the walls and a motorized slider between them which carries the camera being controlled by a computer.

That´s the way i would do it.

Doing it with a usual tripod carrying the camera on a short boom definitely will need very MUCH efforts in stitching manually and retouching afterwards.

Klaus

itsrichphoto likes this post.

gkaefer

Liked in: 15 posts
Info

by gkaefer » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:20 am

some ideas:
using a drone with "indoor GPS like Feature" like the inspire one or now djis Phantom 3

https://pix4d.com/products/
https://www.sensefly.com/applications/gis.html
https://www.sensefly.com/drones/exom.html
http://flightriot.com/
https://www.mapbox.com/blog/processing-drone-imagery/

you also can take such created drone Images and feed autopano giga with them using focal length of 1000mm (up to 10.000mm)

itsrichphoto likes this post.

no avatar
Destiny

Liked in: 228 posts
Info

by Destiny » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:37 am

A few years ago I had an opportunity to capture a large floor of a Thai Temple but I did not have the gear to do it. It was sacred site so no one could stand on it.. Drones were not an option in those days, but they sure are now with an option to Auto Grid.. I would most certainly suggest that this would be one of the best options and the most cost effective one too.. Using a Parallelogram-slider equipped with a motorised slide cost heaps of $$ and very very time consuming, also it has to track alone on the floor... If the floor is not entirely flat as was the case with the Thai Temple, even if I was able to walk on it, there would be huge issues.. There is a new Drone with the computer aboard.. Its been posted at the forum but I have forgotten which one it was.. I saw it on TV while being demoed at a Trade Show.. It can be programmed to do a helix rotation around a statue.. So I would have thought it could do what you wanted it for.. There are heaps of Drones out there so there must be one for your needs.. Using a Drone you get to play with it for other project too.. =D The only other obstacle I can see would be lighting.. You will need to make sure there is enough or the right kid of light.. Otherwise you might find setting up lighting would be very expensive..

Destiny...

no avatar
Destiny

Liked in: 228 posts
Info

by Destiny » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:04 am

The first video is what I saw on TV.. Sounds really cool.... http://www.newsshooter.com/2015/04/23/n ... ith-gopro/

Destiny...

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:20 am

Destiny wrote:I would most certainly suggest that this would be one of the best options and the most cost effective one too..

Yes - but as long as we don´t know more about the room and the floor and a possible height of the room/shooting-distance this is all just speculation.

It´s too few information.

Klaus

no avatar
itsrichphoto

Topic author
Info

by itsrichphoto » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:10 am

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions!

The solo is actually on my shopping list - just waiting for it to be released, should be in next few weeks. I am still a little unsure about flying inside though. It should be great for outside and the flight planning is why we went for this over dji. Maybe by the time this job happens, i maybe good enough fly inside.

I was considering using a backdrop holder to hold the camera. which could be similar to the slide rails. If it ends up being well paid, it could be feasible to rent!

Many thanks again!